Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lets do a 1964 1/2-1973 Mustang CBP to go with the others!

Olskoolrodder

With all the buzz in the other three Mustang CBP's lately-and that doing one for each generation was mentioned recently-lets see some older builds!

If you're building any Mustang from the very first of 1964 1\2 to the very last of 1973 (before the Mustang II's),from economy 6 bangers to all out street terrors and everything between,post it here. NO END DATE (just like the others).

I'll get it going with one I'm getting ready to start,a Revellogram '70 BOSS 429 for my (9 year old) son,Nick,which he will be helping some on. He's a bit into tuners more than ol skool muscle,so this probably won't be a rep-stock build,LOL,more like a resto-mod most likely. I've been preppeing the body for primer this eve (removing mold lines,etc),and will shoot some white primer on it tomorrow,mayb some color coats too. Been a LONG time since I built one of these :D

IMG_3576.jpg

Come on,join in :D

Edited by Olskoolrodder

Sweet! The more the merrier guys,get em rolling! :D

This is actually the only pre 1979 Mustang kit I currenly own. I had one for almost every year (several for some-speaking of kits that were released and easy enough to find since 1980 or so),but (and here it comes again :rolleyes: ...sorry,LOL) they all burned. No worries,I had way more kits then I would have ever built in my lifetime,now I buy ones spcifically that I know I'll build,hahaha! I'm getting going on this one today (barring any unforseens taking me away from the bench). I have aspirations of finding,procurring and building a Revellogram '64 1/2 ragtop alongside a detailed-up version of the '2010 GT ragtop snap kit they're rumor'd to be putting out in January. I think this will be a big thread eventually! B)

As for the Mustang II years...I'm a diehard Mustang lover,I loved these too,LOL! I'm sure I'll eventually score another kit off eBay or whatnot,if nobodies started one by then,I will,I'm secure in my manhood(I'm even wearing my wife's pink housecoat as I type this,ha! :P )

Edited by Olskoolrodder

No pics (I didn't see the point*),but I've been prepping the body for primer all day. Not much flash at all,but I kept missing mold lines until after I'd shot a coat,LOL! *It's white primer,so can't really see much anyways,but I should have the final coat of primer by tomorrow sometime,and maybe shoot a coat or two of color on it. He wants it kinda like the box art,and I kinda have a new can of Testors "Red",so there we go. My last can of enamel paint,LOL!

I'm glad to see you opened this CBP, Stephen. I've been quietly watching and following the other Mustang CBP's and dying to get one of my First generation builds going, but I'm running into time allocation problems.

As some of you know from previous threads, I operate a small Automotive museum and I've been concentrating on constructing dioramas and 1/32 scale veteran, vintage and antique vehicles to illustrate the evolution of transportation. This doesn't give me much time to participate in these Mustang CBP's even though the 'Tangs of all eras are my first love. I did manage to squeeeeeze in a couple of Foxes in that CBP a while back (way back!).

I've already built about 12 or so first gen's. But......... I will see if I can at least get a start on one of the other many first gen. kits in my stash, even though it may be a slow build! Just to decide on which one!

Tony

Tony,YW (it wasn't really my idea,I just jumped up befoe anyone else did,LOL),and your very welcome to join in,and with no worries about time constraints,as with th others there is no end date for this. It isn't a competition (and despite how racable Mustangs are,it isn't a race either :P ),build it as you get time and shae it :)

If this stays an open ended build I'll jump in eventually with the same '70 Boss 429. I've got big plans for it though and have to work through some of the other projects I've got before I add one more. But I'll be watching as this develops, for the inspiration.

Welcome Ryan! Yep,open ended means no end date ever until time ends,the internet dies or the mods tre of it,LOL! Join in when you can. I'd like to build a few more of these for myself (thisone's for my boy and though I'm doing the majority of the building,he mkes all the calls),more details and such than what I'll be adding to this one. They're gorgeous cars :)

As I said, I've built a whole bunch of Mustangs including a blue AMT '66 Coupe, but never a model of the new '66 I actually owned.

Here's a picture of me, age 23, taken in June/July1966, the proud owner of a brand new Mustang Coupe, complete with Buddy Holly glasses and pointy (in style) shoes. It had a 289, automatic, spinner hub caps, AM radio, black vinyl interior and that's about it. (Some neat vintage tin in the background!)

If you guys can stop laughing for a minute, this will be the basis of my entry into this CBP and a historic memory to add to my collection of Mustang models. Hopefully I can find a source for the factory paint color.

IMG_0001.jpg

I decided to do some preliminary work on the Mustang before the weather gets too cold to paint outside.

If you've ever seen or built this kit, you'll know the body is covered in sink marks that need to be filled.

Once these were sanded down, I applied the first coat of primer/sealer.

sinkmarksfilled.jpg

firstprimer.jpg

The chassis was then painted semi gloss black, the exhaust and fuel tank painted Testors silver, and then weathered using an acrylic craft paint wash.

chassisweathered.jpg

I found a color chart for the 1966 Mustang on the Internet and it appears that my car was painted code Z - Sauterne Gold Poly. I'm hoping I can get the local auto parts store to mix up a batch of this color in a spray can.

66-mustang-exterior-colors.jpg

This will not be a "showroom" style build. I will try to reproduce the car as if it has been in service for a while.... thus the weathering on the chassis and using the very basic kit molding. As a "nostalga" build, I won't get into too much detailing. What I'll be striving for is the look of the car as I remember it.

Thanks Stephen.

Unfortunately, the cold weather has now hit us and this will be on hold until either:

a) I get an indoor spray booth ( I'm getting serious about that possibility!) or,

B) The warmer weather returns in the spring. Recently tried a couple of outdoor spray projects and I'll have to redo both of them!!!

But I've got some dios to work on , so at least I'll be able to keep warm indoors. Boy, do I envy you guys in those southern climes.......

Tony

I don't know how southern it feels today. While this isn't really all that cold,it started at 37 degrees this morning (0630 when I get the kids up and out),and finished off around 34 degrees :wacko:

I don't have indoor spray capability either. What I usually do is spray little bits at a time (really close to the door to run back in fast),bring it in and set it up in the washer room to cure/dry between coats. Well,that's how I did it in the old house,bu it should work here too. IDK how well it would work for someone else,but I've had decent luck (and that's exactly what it is) so far knock on wood. Here's a couple that were painted around January and February in sub 20 degree weather that year...

Finished1-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

It can be done,but great care ust be taken,and much luck is appreciated,LOL! :P

A couple of nice paint jobs Stephen.

I too have had a few successful painting projects done outside in sub zero temps but It's a risky proposition. I've probably stripped more bad ones than achieved anything decent. Now I don't risk it....... I work on interiors, chassis, engines, etc. that can be brush painted inside and leave the body painting until the spring.

That's probably why I have so many unfinished projects stashed away.......... I just keep starting new ones during the winter!!!!

A couple of nice paint jobs Stephen.

That's probably why I have so many unfinished projects stashed away.......... I just keep starting new ones during the winter!!!!

Firstly,thanks (they melted to goo in that house fire though,LOL,pics is all I have of em now).

And yeah,LMBO,that's always been me too :P Now though,we have this unfinishd "closet" up stairs in my daughter's room,that goes almost the widt of the house. By unfinished,I mean only half the floor is covered,insulation visible,no lighting,etc. I may try spraying a little bit up there this winter,at least to see how bad the fumes would leak into her room (door seals pretty dang tightly,you have to really tug to open it),stick me a lamp in there and a fresh cartridge inmy resperator (that I have yetto buy ;):rolleyes: ) and have at it,LOL!