Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lets do a 1964 1/2-1973 Mustang CBP to go with the others!

Olskoolrodder

Glad to see you back Brad.

I've started a couple of 1966 Mustang builds, but had to put them on hold until the weather warms up and I can paint them outside.

Meanwhile I've been working on a couple of diaramas which I've posted in the dio section of the forum........ But those 'tangs are crying out for me to get back to them!

Tony

I was at the parts store yesterday picking up primer, and I was looking at the duplicolor paints, and i did see a lot of colors that close to it, it may be a specail order paint thru the parts store . But this was before I knew that duplicolor made the paint, so I am going to go back and see.

I will get you the Dupli-Color paint codes and names in the morning. I have to stop at Autozone when I get out of work to pick up the heater core for my truck, and will get them then.

Tony, work and various other engagements have kept me from here as of late, and I see it being just as tumultuous the next couple of months. Work is getting interesting as our aircraft are getting older.

Bradley, thanks bud, the only reason why I am asking is we dont have the smartest of people working in the parts store that close to me, so if I can just give the paint codes, I am sure that will make it easier for them.

Steve, you have missed a lot of great builds, dont you hear that nosie, its the fourm and your builds calling your name :lol:

My apologies, as Dupli-Color does not have 'Pepper Gray Metallic' in their line-up. However, they do have paint code CX (Dupli-Color spray #BMF0360) Dark Shadow Gray Metallic (from which 'Pepper Gray' is derived). They also have a slightly lighter shade TK (BMF0352) Mineral Gray Metallic.

My suggestion (as Dark Shadow Gray Metallic and 'Pepper Gray Metallic' are VERY close) would be to shoot the DSGM as a base coat, and tint your first layer of clear with just enough Black to give it a hint of Black. That will get you the closest of any store-bought shelf-ready colors. If you want it exact, I would go to a paint supply house (that deals in auto paint) with the factory paint code (Dupont Fleet 44490) and have them mix you up about a half pint.

Edited by whale392

If I get a chance this week , there is a sheramn williams close by, I will see if they can get the paint for me. Now what about the stirpes? , will I need to get that mixed as well, or is there something already in a can ?

Edited by martinfan5

Haha not to be a thorn in the side, the stripes are black metallic, I hope to tape these off and get them as close to the correct size as possible. I think I'm gonna attempt to use a model paint for this, either testors or tamiya. I'm gonna test shoot all this paint to make sure there is no unwanted reactions.

Any metallic black should work. Either duplicolor, testors, tamiya, all those are already in a spray can. I'm gonna try either duplicolor or tamiya tomorrow and see if it works ok over the spray can pepper gray, I will post how it goes afterwards.

Edited by Devilsnake98

I got a chance to try out the pepper gray and the clear coat i bought with it from the local paint supply shop. This is on a useless body and quickly taped off to add the metallic black stipes. Now, this has duplicolor filler primer, the paint shop pepper gray, testors black metallic, then the paint shop clear coat. It only has 2 light coats of clear and has this glossy of a finish. There was no unwanted reactions between the different brands of paint, and I would recommend this method of getting the pepper gray, works very well and fast.

paint009-vi.jpg

paint012-vi.jpg

paint013-vi.jpg

Yay, the GT 350 kit came today, so I can start working on one of them :D.

Ryan, that looks great, I like it, like it alot, I am going to make a trip to the paint store tomorrow, or what I am thinking too, is using this as an excuss to get a airbrush system :D

Edited by martinfan5