Model Cars Magazine Forum

TESTORS paint prices....OUCH.!

GREETINGS fellow builders, went to the L.H.S. today to pick up some paint, and oh my goodness, can you belive this...TESTORS 3oz. regular and model master spray is $ 6.50 a can, 1/2 oz. model master bottles is $ 4.00 and regular 1/4 oz. bottles is $ 2.00. Not only did testors do this, so did all the rest of the companies who supply us with our products. Just wanted to let all of you know so that there is no suffering of "sticker shock" when you arrive. So does this mean that I`am going to toss out my kits and stop building ??? NO, but it pinches the `ol hobby dollar a lot more.

There are a lot of alternatives out there. Don't think that you have to buy "model paint," they're basically ripping you off.

I started using "craft paints" for detail painting. They come in either acrylic or acrylic enamels, gloss and flat, available in several brands, and I get it at Hobby Lobby. It comes in 2 ounce bottles, there are literally hundreds of colors in both regular and metallics, and the best part is, depending on the brand, it costs about a buck a bottle.

For painting bodies I've used DupliColor for many years. And there are many other options as far as brands and types of paints, and pretty much all of them will cost you a lot less per ounce than "model paints."

There are a lot of alternatives out there. Don't think that you have to buy "model paint," they're basically ripping you off.

I started using "craft paints" for detail painting. They come in either acrylic or acrylic enamels, gloss and flat, available in several brands, and I get it at Hobby Lobby. It comes in 2 ounce bottles, there are literally hundreds of colors in both regular and metallics, and the best part is, depending on the brand, it costs about a buck a bottle.

For painting bodies I've used DupliColor for many years. And there are many other options as far as brands and types of paints, and pretty much all of them will cost you a lot less per ounce than "model paints."

I am going to have to check them out, what section or asle in HL are they at?

I dont buy model paint in the spary can unless I have no other choice or use a HL coupon.

Edited by martinfan5

Harry- thanks, I will be checking them out , are these paints glossy or flat finish?

Back on paint prices, from what i can tell is HL sells there paint at the MSRP, I say this as I often look on testors/MM website and you can buy from them, and the price's are about the same.

I dont know or remember what our other LHS sell the paints for, but I know its more then HL. My G/F thinks it funny that I go to the auto parts store to get paint for models

Edited by martinfan5

Harry- thanks, I will be checking them out , are these paints glossy or flat finish?

The acrylics are flat, the acrylic enamels are gloss.

There are actually several brands, they all come in the same size/type of plastic squeeze bottle, and they're all on display together in the same aisle. At my Hobby Lobby the brands they have are Anita's, Americana Acrylics, Americana Gloss Enamels, Craftsmart, Folk Art Acrylic, Enamels, and metallics (I think there's another brand that also has metallics).

But once you find the right aisle, you'll see them all there on one giant display rack.

Harry- again thanks for the info, not really trying to be a pain ^_^ , so then these wouldn't be good to use for interior painting ?

Sure, you can use them for interiors. You can use them to paint whatever.

This Mack Bulldog was painted with them. Flat gray cab (with a coat of Testors "Transparent Window Tint" to give a sort of dirty, grungy look)... chassis with a very dark gray (almost black) metallic, interior, engine, wheels... everything! (except the bed which is scratchbuilt of real wood and stained).

8.jpg

7.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

I know I can use them for interior's but what I was I was meaning is that interiors are not flat nor glossy, so its either semi gloss or matt , I am trying to make my interiors look better.

Michaels does have good prices on the testors paint, but they only sell , well the ones in my area the normal testors paint and the one coat lacquer. The only one coat lacquer I use is the clear coat.