Model Cars Magazine Forum

shelby mustang 1/12 scale after market

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm wanting a "KR" conversion to come out with the Alcoa wheels, hood and decals. I'd love to build a Knight Rider version of this car. Yeah I know, KITT was an earlier GT500KR, but KITT can morph into any shape he wants, so I would think he'd want to have the updated body :)

• 8 months later...

I love the idea of aftermarket wheels for the big scale Shelby, but I thought I'd add a little constructive criticism. To be accurate, these wheels really need to lose the offset (deep dish). You won't find anything like that on a modern Mustang - all the wheels on the market have very little offset due to the fact that the brakes and hubs extend so far out toward the outside of the car, and thus, the spokes of the wheels are pushed to the outside of the rim. With modern big brakes and suspension, the days of deep dish wheels (or any dish, really) have come and gone. A Google search will show you what I'm referring to, and here's just one example.

2010shelbygt500fdp1_07_opta.jpg

• 4 years later...

I love the idea of aftermarket wheels for the big scale Shelby, but I thought I'd add a little constructive criticism. To be accurate, these wheels really need to lose the offset (deep dish).

More like this?:

I will remove that center mounting flange from the backside to free up some of the negative space between the spokes, which will also thin down the thickness/depth of the spokes, but they do fit nicely in the 1/12 Revell Shelby GT500's tires. I will need to add a bit of material to the backside to allow them to work with the kit's inner wheel halves.

More like this?:

WP_20161202_006.jpg

WP_20161202_004.jpg

I will remove that center mounting flange from the backside to free up some of the negative space between the spokes, which will also thin down the thickness/depth of the spokes, but they do fit nicely in the 1/12 Revell Shelby GT500's tires. I will need to add a bit of material to the backside to allow them to work with the kit's inner wheel halves.

Are you planning on making these available for purchase? If so, any idea on the price point you're looking at? Also, when might they be available? I saw some Cobra style Halibrands on Shapeways for the 1/12 Shelby I was looking at picking up, but these are nice too. The Shapeways ones are for the tires from the Foose Camaro tho, and may not fit the stock Shelby tires.

David

Are you planning on making these available for purchase? If so, any idea on the price point you're looking at? Also, when might they be available? I saw some Cobra style Halibrands on Shapeways for the 1/12 Shelby I was looking at picking up, but these are nice too. The Shapeways ones are for the tires from the Foose Camaro tho, and may not fit the stock Shelby tires.

Not really sure what will happen to be honest. I stumbled these, turned the O.D. down a bit to fit the 1/12 Shelby's tires, and that was it. I just liked the look and the ease of fit, so we'll see where it goes. It does appear they are styled after the new Honda NSX's wheels, though:

s-l1600.jpg

The 1/12 Camaro's tires are totally different from the Shelby's, so not nearly as easy as fitting a wheel to the Shelby's all-the-same-diameter tires in my experience. It's a shame the Camaro's tire don't hold their shape, either.