Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bench Rage! Have you ever lost it?

Oh man Joe!!!! I just fell off my chair !!! I s that your pooch??

Gawd no !! Well, sorta......

I found it wandering the internet, so I adopted it. Every time I need a smile, he / she is there for me. Guess I oughta give it a name. One of those boy / girl unisex names like Ughhhh or Yuuuck or Woaaaaah .

I used to way back when and then I became ZEN about it. If you follow your normal routine and prep right, you should be able to finish a good looking model. But sometimes no matter how careful you are something is bound to go wrong, which is why I will often buy two of the same kits, and or build two for insurance purposes.

AMT 70 1/2 Camaro. It was on three wheels during the chassis buildup, so I corrected that. Then during the tedious final assembly that required the repeated grinding and trial fitting on the chassis, body, & windshield, the dreaded tripod effect returned undoing my previous work. It has been the only model I have ever thrown at the wall. I felt much better and now think it was the best end to that particular model.

By the way, I have two more of these Heller kits (one sedan and one cabriolet) if anyone wishes to put themselves through the torment I'll let them go cheaply.

Noooooo thank you, I've been working on my DS now for a year and a half and it is by far the most 'challenging' kit i've ever build. I do know where your frustrating comes from, but I never let it take over. I just leave the scene and come back the next day.

Absolutely. I allllllllmost threw a model last night. Building a Revell kit when you're used to Tamiya quality will sometimes give me fits. I realize 99% of the problems I might have are self inflicted and getting angry doesn't help. But sometimes you can't help it. And making a mistake with something you know better drives me crazy. I'm painting this Nova. I put white primer over grey primer before the orange. But with the hood I only used white primer. So now the hood is one shade brighter than the body. Arrrgghhhhh..... And how awful is finishing up a kit you loved only to find out one wheel isn't flush on the ground?

Did this just once, trying to BMF a '57 Chrysler 300. At the time, I had little experience with BMF, and I now think I had an old sheet(that just wouldn't stick). Launched the body against the wall, stomped on it a few times for good measure, and into the trash it went. Felt so bad afterwards, I went out and bought 2 more of the same kit, but I haven't attempted to build one yet!

Had one in my hand and my arm cocked ready to throw when my daughter then 4 yo (38 years ago) walked in and I put it back on the table!

Now my wife had this thing when she got mad at me she would pick up one and throw it!!!

That ended the day I did the same to one of her knick knacks that had belonged to her grandma!(I didn't know where it came from or would not have picked it to throw :( )

Had one in my hand and my arm cocked ready to throw when my daughter then 4 yo (38 years ago) walked in and I put it back on the table!

Now my wife had this thing when she got mad at me she would pick up one and throw it!!!

That ended the day I did the same to one of her knick knacks that had belonged to her grandma!(I didn't know where it came from or would not have picked it to throw :( )

I'm dead serious now. If my wife would ever touch one of my models in a malicious way, that would be the end of my marriage on the spot.

I've never done it with models, I'm usually more patient with modelling than anything else I do.

However, I can totally identify with the feelings of the OP, and the wonderful sense of calm which envelops you after you've destroyed the object of your frustration.

Some years ago, I had a lawn mower which gave me only one attempt to start it, and that was only after taking out the sparkplug and dipping it some powdered graphite. If it stalled, I'd never get it going again until the next day. One day it got me so mad, I took revenge on it with the log splitter. Had never felt so good for a long time. The first mrs warra knew about it when she saw me coming back home with the neighbour's borrowed mower. She's never let me live it down, and still happily regales the story.

I'm dead serious now. If my wife would ever touch one of my models in a malicious way, that would be the end of my marriage on the spot.

Well she was very young at the time..(19)

Never to a model, but I once did it to an old digital camera that failed on some important pictures. I took it out to the shop and hurled it on the concrete floor as hard as I could, and naturally, it flew into a thousand pieces. I then saw the circuit board, figured I'd give it a closer look, and picked it up by the charged flash capacitor - sending a hell of a shock all the way up my right arm. The thing got me back!

-MJS

Never to a model, but I once did it to an old digital camera that failed on some important pictures. I took it out to the shop and hurled it on the concrete floor as hard as I could, and naturally, it flew into a thousand pieces. I then saw the circuit board, figured I'd give it a closer look, and picked it up by the charged flash capacitor - sending a hell of a shock all the way up my right arm. The thing got me back!

-MJS

HMMMM, you know what they say about karma!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

-MJS

Pwned from beyond the grave... by a digital camera! :blink:

Alright, I guess after making some jokes about a few of the other experiences, I guess I'd better admit that I'm not immune to a little bench rage. I was working on the roof of my custom sleeper for this truck and all the stars lined up to where it pushed me over the edge and the sleeper bit the edge of my desk's hutch.

This is the before:

HPIM1690.jpg

And this is the after:

HPIM1715.jpg

As you can see by the after pic, the bodywork was what pushed me over the edge. I was trying to get the shape of the curve of the roof just right and the putty would not cooperate. Thankfully the sleeper was rebuilt (and in my opinion, better than the first time) and finally finished with no further harm.