Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thinking of some new CBP ideas(updated OP)

martinfan5

Hey guys, well while being on another model forum ( from the UK), It got me thinking about doing a forigen car build or a excoita car build or something along those lines. what i am thinking is like a one make only build for one of them.

Another idea I was thinking about was doing one for next year that every month will be a different subject and maybe make a contest or something, just throwing these ideas out there.

If any one is interested or has an idea please share, I am thinking of starting it after the holidays , I dont need to add another build at the moment :lol:

Update- If you have an Idea list it, then after there are enough of them I am thinking of doing a vote on them.

Edited by martinfan5

• 2 weeks later...

Craig proposed a build for your First or Favorite car. My first car would be difficult but not impossible - an 'el strippo' 1965 Chevy II 4-door sedan. I suppose I could modify the "Rat Packer" body and use a Trumpeter Nova chassis, engine, and modified interior. I could do my first Corvair, but I'm already replicating that car for the "Glue Bomb" CBP. As far as my favorite car goes, I had a fantastic (albeit slightly scruffy) Lemonwood Yellow '66 Corvair Monza coupe that I had to sell for financial purposes a couple of years ago. That car was great at traffic lights, especially when some punk kid pulled up beside me in a 5.0 Mustang! My vanity plate said "CORVA1R" to let people know what it was that had just blown their doors off! I've already planned to build a replica of that car, since I think I've FINALLY found paint close enough to look right. Ok, I know, I know, this is a MODEL website, but I just have to show off a little:

055.jpg

I know she had a few body issues, but the model won't!

"Ugly" is open to interpretation. For instance, I used to own a Pacer and I never thought it was ugly, exactly, just "Different". And different for good reasons. It had great interior room (with the exception of rear seat legroom) and it's wide stance made a decent handler out of it. But the Pacer is often included in lists of ugly cars. Meanwhile, I've never liked the looks of the first two styles of Mustang (1965-66, 1967-68). Yet there are plenty of people who consider them to be great looking cars. All I can say to that is, park one next to a 1965 Corvair coupe and tell me with a straight face that the Mustang is a better looking car! Then there's the first-series Corvair. I've heard it all too often that it's a bad looking car, but it's still one of the most imitated designs ever! Again, park any comparable early 60's compact next to a Corvair coupe of the era and, at least to my eye, the Corvair comes out on top. Falcon? Comet? Rambler? Downfight baroque. Valaint/Lancer? What's up with all the body lines to nowhere?

I hope I haven't stirred up too much animosity among my friends on here with my little rant. All I'm trying to point out is that styling is purely subjective. If the CBP were for models of cars that the builder considers to be ugly, I guess I could dig up one of the '66 Mustang kits that I decapitated to use the roof for a Sport Sedan conversion on a Corvair model... :lol:

Ugly is a personal opinion thing, I condenser about every 1958 car built ugly, but say something like a 56 Chevy convertible in a red and white two tone would be pretty sharp, a 56 Chevy 4 door hardtop two toned mustard yellow and green, not so much.

I guess it would have to be up to the builder.

I don't get it? The whole idea of a CBP to me is bringing people that LOVE a particular subject make or model of vehicle together.

What is there to think about? What do YOU... LOVE, or feel very passionate about? It shouldn't require much thought at all. If your searching for a subject for a cbp, your wasting everyones time. Just my .02$ yours may vary.

Wow thats kinda of harsh ,"wasting everyones time", really how am I wasting peoples time?, just because I may like a subject doe not mean everyone else will, so thats why I am asking what people think, to get ideas . So you are now speaking for all the members on this forum now?, would it make you happy if I delete this thread ?

Just wow is all I can say to what you said

Edited by martinfan5

Ugly is a personal opinion thing, I condenser about every 1958 car built ugly, but say something like a 56 Chevy convertible in a red and white two tone would be pretty sharp, a 56 Chevy 4 door hardtop two toned mustard yellow and green, not so much.

I guess it would have to be up to the builder.

There you have it! I hear you about many of the models from 1958, but I personally like the '58 Impala better than the iconic '57 Bel Air. As for that '56 Bel Air 4-door hardtop ("Sport Sedan"), it was the first 4-door hardtop in the low-price field, and it's sweeping roofline is strikingly graceful to my eyes. Yellow and green wouldn't look very good to me on any car (although a friend of mine once had a yellow '61 Buick Invicta with a green interior from the fatory), but put the same red and white two-tone as the convertible on the Sport Sedan and it comes alive. An acquaintance of mine once had one in black and white and I thought it was pretty sharp. It all comes down to "Different strokes for different folks"!

1) "Ugly" is open to interpretation.

2) Meanwhile, I've never liked the looks of the first two styles of Mustang (1965-66, 1967-68). Yet there are plenty of people who consider them to be great looking cars. All I can say to that is, park one next to a 1965 Corvair coupe and tell me with a straight face that the Mustang is a better looking car!

3) I hope I haven't stirred up too much animosity among my friends on here with my little rant. All I'm trying to point out is that styling is purely subjective. If the CBP were for models of cars that the builder considers to be ugly... :lol:

1) Good point :)

2) I could do it with a straight face (I agree on the '64.5-66 though) B)

3) Not at all,at least not here,all valid points (I thought Pacers were cool too,BTW),styling is purely subjective as just seen (see #2),I think it would be "Build what you consider ugly",since it's the only way it could actually run.

BTW,be glad I wasn't one of those "punk kids" at the light,unless you roll under mid 13's you wouldn't have seen the horsie on mine's nose. No bottle,no blower (yet),just bolt ons for now,it'll be quicker (while still remaining a well rounded street car) next year B)

Edited by Olskoolrodder

Wow thats kinda of harsh ,"wasting everyones time", really how am I wasting peoples time?, just because I may like a subject doe not mean everyone else will, so thats why I am asking what people think, to get ideas . So you are now speaking for all the members on this forum now?, would it make you happy if I delete this thread ?

Just wow is all I can say to what you said

No. Your trying to find something that will be popular. Why?

That's not necessarily what the whole idea of CBP is about. You don't NEED to reach for a cbp.

You start a CBP so that people with a mutual interest can show off there work and challenge each other to be better.

To me what you are doing is trying to find a popular subject that will get a high post count.

This doesn't do anything for anyone. Find what YOU like and others will follow ...or not,as the case may be.

Sorry if my thoughts bend you out of shape, but it is what it is.

You can do what you need to.