Model Cars Magazine Forum

82 C3 Corvette - Blown street legal.

NitroJunky

A mate of mine as asked me to build a replica of his street legal blown C3 Corvette.

I have started with a 79 Indy pace car kit from MPC as the base to work with. As it was pointed out to me by a fellow member that MPC kits are bit ropey he wasnt wrong. I dont think i will buying another one, from the poor fit of parts to amount of flash that needs removing before you can fit a part.

Here are a few progress shots, its bit rough at present as its needs some more filler etc.

modelcarspics007Medium.jpg

modelcarspics008Medium.jpg

modelcarspics009Medium.jpg

modelcarspics010Medium.jpg

The real thing

corvette1.jpg

The car itself as what i think is the street version of the ecklers daytona bodykit so i have had to make all of this from scratch using plasticard.

The motor in the real car is blwon using a blower from old nitro funny car with 2 big holley carbs and hilborn injector style intake.

The blower on my model was in the spares box from an 16th scale revell FC kit, i will be scratch building the carbs as its going to work expensive by the time i have bought them from the states and paid import tax etc. Again i could only find a scoop like this from competion resins but to keep the cost down i had a go at making my own.

My mate supplied me with the measurements so i scaled these down, The main body of the scoop was made from a 24th scale air tank off a truck or trailer found in the spares box, I had to extend it down the middle by 3 mm. The fron lip was roughly cut to shape and glued on, after alot of filing and sanding i finally got something i was happy with.

The body is going to be painted 1979 308 ferrari red.

Will keep you posted when more as been done.

Thanks for comments guys. I can see this one being a long process to get it right.

Gave it a little primer today to help with the rubbing down and guide me where more filler is needed etc.

WOW IT LOOKS AWSOME!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED ANY 1/16TH SCALE GOODIES!!

Thanks, What sort of goodies do you sell and do you have a web site?

• 2 months later...

Its been a while since i updated this as ive been really busy before christmas. Over the Christmas break i decided to get on with the corvette project and aimed to get it finished in early January as i knew my free time would be taken up alot with once the FIA Race season started again.

After endless hours of filling, sanding, guide coat,primer etc etc i got a reasonable looking bodyshell ready for paint. After 5 coats of Ferrari 308 red it was then given 3 coats of clear.

The interior was flocked once it had been painted satin black and seats were painted red/black to match the real thing.

The roof was painted with enamel chrome paint but its not very good as you only have to catch it with your finger and its starts to dull. Chrome film was applied around the window pillars and rear window trim.

I didnt like the kit exhausts so i cut the tailpipe off and replaced them with 4mm ally tube.

In the end i made a master that looked close to an holley carb and made a cast from that, the scoop was taken from a cast of that from kuhl & olsen dragster kit.

I would have liked to plumb the motor but i didnt have any images of the real thing to copy and i just ran out of time as my mate was picking up 13th jan when i was down in my area of the country.

IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_4909.jpg

IMG_4908.jpg

IMG_4915.jpg

I really like the RED Paint! 3 coats of clear should be a nice base to really rub that out and have an awesome polished shine, if it hasn't been done.

I gotta ask, what technique did you use to get the vents into the front fenders? Nice touch.

Thanks for the comments, I gave it a light flat in areas where the odd dust spot had settled then polished up with a 3 stage polish kit from Meguiars that i use on my road car to give it a nice shine.

The vents in the front wings where done by cutting an hole the size i wanted for the overall vent and then i drew out a templete on paper of the required design and cut small peices of plastic strip to the right size/angle and glued them in place. Once set it was given a quick skim of filler to hide the joins.

The rear vents in the bonnet where drawn on in marker pen then i drilled an hole at each end before cutting them out with a scaple. The front vents again where cut out to shape and plastic glued to the underside to give image of deep vent.