Model Cars Magazine Forum

'72 Trans Am

Scale-Master

A friend requested I post this for another mutual friend. It is an older build of the Otaki ’72 Trans Am. Since I had it out of the showcase while doing my annual cleaning, I decided to take a few pictures. I built it out of the box, and I made all the decals in order to change it from the Fire-Chicken on the hood scheme to the earlier classic white and blue, as well as to add some details.

This kit seems to be desirable to many, but the reality is it has several accuracy/proportion issues. Plus it was engineered to be a motorized toy/model. This kit did not have the motor stuff, but the overall design suffers from that toy mentality.

But it does go well with my stock Red ’67 Corvette and Orange ’69 Camaro.

DSC09955.jpg

DSC09957.jpg

DSC09958.jpg

DSC09959.jpg

Looks like the carpet is getting a bit ratty, but then with tires rotting out from sitting since ’94, what can you expect? Good thing I dated that license tag to remind me…

DSC09960.jpg

I'm not familiar with this kit, so I don't know how much work you had to do to get it to this state ( I assume a LOT!), but WOW! That's beautiful! The detail on the upper radiator hose is over the top! B)

Are the thin pinstripes around the side windows and along the front fenders decals? If so, how in the world did you get them on so perfectly straight?

Very, very, nice OOB job, of one the most beautiful Muscle Car ever :wub:

In fact your version is the exact same replica of OTAKI's very first version of this 1/12th kit, back when it was introduced in the early 70's, was molded in white & black with the '70-'72 T/A center Blue stripe decals....a bit later in the 70's the box art will be redone in red with the '73 full size hood "Screaming Chicken" decals in various colors (kit still molded in white & black).

True that the kit is not perfect: body proportions & pretty simplified/basic: engine/chassis/susp for this scale...but then again was a typical early 70's Japanese 1/12th "motorized" kit to build &...play with!

... After all those years the "real" rubber tires tend to flat &.... crack!

Like the 70's CA plates :)

Edited by ZIL 111V

Amazing build. That white and blue color combo fits nicely to Trans Am, not always red colored.... Engine detailing is really nice, and interior looks very good too. Overall, really nice and realistic build, thanks for sharing.

You know I generally get derisive when I see a builder with "master" in his screen name. And we've seen a few use that moniker and it's never too long before someone calls them on it. However Mark, you are among a few I can name where the title fits. Your work is always beyond reproach. Great work.

Thanks everyone!

The compressor and all the other parts came with the kit, that is a major part of building “Out Of The Box”.

The doors, hood and even the trunk come hinged in the kit; I just assembled it as it was intended. The trunk is where the batteries would go for the motorized version and it is very shallow. (I did add a houndstooth trunk mat though…)

The thin blue pin stripes are Scale-Master decal stripes. A little decal solvent helped the gentle arc. Just apply them with plenty of water to float them and use a brush to position them.

I have built the Revell kit, back when it was a Monogram kit…as a replica of my brother's car. Same scheme as this one.

The grille in this kit is a ’72 only pattern, but the rest is generic enough to be ‘70-‘73 I think. Unless the seats changed in ’73 like they did in the Camaro? Two of the tires are shot, but realistically flat looking, not my work, just time’s work. Part of it is my fault, I added lead weight to make the semi-working suspension squat to a more accurate stance. This model weighs a few pounds. Kind of creaks like a 40 year old F-Body too.

As far as why I use “Master” in my screen name, it is simply because I have been making decals under the trademarked name of Scale-Master Decals since the ‘80s. I agree it is tacky to call one’s self something grandiose, usually even if the skills to back it up are there.

• 2 weeks later...