Model Cars Magazine Forum

Parts kits - what's your favorite?

The Revell 1/24 Tony Foti L.A.P.D. Camaro drag car has the mega-rare (in the real world) Milodon cast aluminum big block Chevy valve covers.

AMT's '62 Catalina custom has really nice looking tuck & roll upholstery.

The Testors "Vantastic" family of kits have nice looking bucket seats for a modern street rod.

I like the idea for this thread. I'd like to offer a suggestion, though. How about several threads, each with its own category; such as interior, engine, suspension, wheels & tires, etc.

Me, too, but every kit is a potential parts donor source, and we all have different opinions of which parts are "good" and which are not.

I think a new forum section or sub-section for a scale parts index would be a good idea, especially if pictures of the specific parts were posted, too. I'm not sure it would be helpful just to name a kit without naming the specific parts (i.e. the Hampton blower in the Monogram Vandal, the Cragar S/S wheels in the Revell '37 Ford Coupe, and so on), though, and I'm not sure where such a section would belong, or if it would even be deemed necessary, as there's a potential for a lot of overlap with the Q&A section.

Maybe we should conduct a poll?

Hi,

When I started reading this thread I thought a recent kit with tons of parts to suggest would be the Revell 5 window but someone beat me to it.

I'll add the Revell '41 Willys pro street to this list - the blown hemi, wheels, tyres and chassis are all great for pro-streeting other cars.

This is a great idea for a thread - and one I may need to keep for future reference!

Cheers,

Jim

I like the idea of this thread as well. I started a thread for tires HERE but didn't know where the best posting location would be. I can see it will get buried pretty quick in the general section - not to mention I am the only one that has posted related tire content. Please, read the entire thread before posting to see the desire behind that thread - as well as, I assume, this one.

One thing I would really like to see - MORE PICTURES. Some of these kits have had multiple issues - not all of them containing the same parts. Also, pictures of the parts! It is not that hard to find a picture (or take one) and post - and it alleviates a lot of the searching-through-threads ailment.

I am all for a separate section for this type of information - but we can make it so much more useful and concise if we limit banter and bump up the amount of photos used.

So...now that I posted without pictures in a post ranting about no pictures...

Pics coming soon...

Head bone connected to the neck bone . . . connected to the ham bone . . . connected to . . .

You known, parts, limbs . . . general anatomy. How parts go together. What parts can be used from one kit to another?

STYRENE ANATOMY.

Danno, Gregg sends you to your room, Doctor Cranky wants YOU to come OUT of your room for some fresh air! LOL! :lol::D:lol::rolleyes:

http://youtu.be/Usuu-xu75dI

Edited by Danno

The AMT 1960 Starliner has two complete F.E. engines ( 352 / 360 / 390 c.i.d. ) with attached transmissions (3-speed O.D.) , and 3 induction options ( single 4Bbl , three 2Bbls or two 4Bbls ) .

Just to clarify- only the most recent issues of the kit come with two engines- the earlier, separate stock and custom versions only come with one engine each- four bbl in the stocker and a choice of three twos or dual quads in the custom version.

Just to clarify- only the most recent issues of the kit come with two engines- the earlier, separate stock and custom versions only come with one engine each- four bbl in the stocker and a choice of three twos or dual quads in the custom version.

This one:

5C2AE937-5AF8-4F6E-A443-124664C6BB14-13737-000003C562F6266B.jpg

The only problem is the steel wheels don't fit the stock tires. The other versions, as noted, omitted some parts - not only engine but wheels as well.

• 1 month later...

Hi there all I'm not sure if this thread has been used yet or not ? But does anyone have a master list of model kits that are souly used just for parts only?Example wheels,tires,engines,chassis and so on ?

Yep, lots of times. Try "donor" in the Gen Disc search box and you'll find a bunch of different topics on pasts donor kits, like this one: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50239&hl=donor#entry558634

The problem with a master list is that not everyone will agree the valve covers from the Matt & Debbie Hay Pro Street T-bird or the BFG tires from the MPC Toypta Supra are he best, and so on. Opinions will vary wildly, and what you think may be a great kit or part, I may think just the opposite.

Maybe listing your favorite kits which you use as a parts donor might work better? There may even be an existing topic like that, too.

i have a few differnt kits that i only bought as donor kits

most of those are bought with a specific build in mind and even than only if i could get a good deal on the donor kit

the only i would say for sure belongs on this list is the AMT 70 superbee pro stock kit

and not because it is not a good build up, but because it is the epidemy off pro street donor kit

with a minumin off effort this chassis and rolling gear can be adapted to just about any model you want

AND YOU GET A DOHC HEMI IN THE DEAL

this is the only kit i will buy when i get a deal on it no mather how many there are in my stash