Model Cars Magazine Forum

Parts kits - what's your favorite?

i have a few differnt kits that i only bought as donor kits

most of those are bought with a specific build in mind and even than only if i could get a good deal on the donor kit

the only i would say for sure belongs on this list is the AMT 70 superbee pro stock kit

and not because it is not a good build up, but because it is the epidemy off pro street donor kit

with a minumin off effort this chassis and rolling gear can be adapted to just about any model you want

AND YOU GET A DOHC HEMI IN THE DEAL

this is the only kit i will buy when i get a deal on it no mather how many there are in my stash

Ditto.. My #1 Fav Donor. :D

For me, The Momogram/Revell 1/32 scael Mack CF Pumper kit.

I have built 2 of them mostly out of the box. Now all I get are Kitbash/Scratchbuild fuel.

I have had as many as 20+ of them.

2 more pumpers in progress are a back-dated design, & an open cab.

I have a Heavy Rescue, Aerialscope & tractor-drawn Tanker in progress too.

Actually the Tanker is a restoration/replacement as I found the cab a few months ago and need to

almost completely rebuild it. (many missing parts!!)

I am now thinking of a straight tanker, Buldog rear mount ladder, Mid mount ladder, and a Tractor-Drawn ladder.

(just need good pic's measurements for that one!)

Also, the Modern Tool AMT 58 EDSEL Pacer.

I have a few of those started/in-progress too!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

I know a couple of guys who love to use the Miss Deal Studebaker chassis for builds. I guess that's what you'd call a good donor kit.

Me? I have a couple of each of the old standards parted out in shoe boxes. Cars like the AMT '57 Chevy and Ford, AMT '55 and '57 Chevy pickups, AMT '53 Ford pickups, Revell 50 Ford Pickups. I manage to pull parts off those old staples for a variety of projects.

Edited by Tom Geiger

As mentioned above, Miss Deal Studebaker is great chassis, engine, suspension etc. donor-kit. Basically everything except the body can be used well with other body, too. I built the '59 Simca Gasser, I've seen it also under couple of Impalas, Fairlanes, Chargers etc.

Another one is either Revell's '67 Chevelle (The California Wheels release) where you can get the stock taillight panel for the Pro Street kit, or then just the Pro Street kit for the engine, interior and chassis to fit inside the stock body.

Revell Pro Sportsman '55 and '57 Chevrolets (And of course other tube frame Drag Cars like the Jukebox Ford, Christine ProMod, Pro Stock kits........), their chassis and drivetrain is nice to fit under another body to make unique Drag Racer...

Revell's Chi Town Hustler is also great for wheels and tires, especially the wheels are excellent. Of course the engine and frame can be used, too.

...And there are so many more.

this could very well be a very subjective list - it all comes down to taste / build styles.

What may be one persons #1 doner kit , very well may be someone elses #1 holy grail kit.

For my primary doner kit it's s probably the Lindberg 1964 Dodge/ Plymouth kits and/or the AMT 1968 Road Runner kits .

Edited by gtx6970

As mentioned above, Miss Deal Studebaker is great chassis, engine, suspension etc. donor-kit. Basically everything except the body can be used well with other body, too. I built the '59 Simca Gasser, I've seen it also under couple of Impalas, Fairlanes, Chargers etc.

Another one is either Revell's '67 Chevelle (The California Wheels release) where you can get the stock taillight panel for the Pro Street kit, or then just the Pro Street kit for the engine, interior and chassis to fit inside the stock body.

Revell Pro Sportsman '55 and '57 Chevrolets (And of course other tube frame Drag Cars like the Jukebox Ford, Christine ProMod, Pro Stock kits........), their chassis and drivetrain is nice to fit under another body to make unique Drag Racer...

Revell's Chi Town Hustler is also great for wheels and tires, especially the wheels are excellent. Of course the engine and frame can be used, too.

...And there are so many more.

The frame from the Chi-Town Hustler??? The Chi-Town Hustler was the ONLY funny car to have tha offset frame from what I understand.

Why not? If you use the tires and wheels and the engine from that kit.....Why not to use the frame too? Of course it don't fit to a Funny Car which has 1:1 car to replicate, but a car that "Could Have Raced" could be built well with the Hustler's frame. Or at least I could do it. :lol:

I agree with futurabat. I always have a few kits available right now I am plugging away on my fox body capri and mustang kits. Here's what I'm doing..... The revell 1-25 scale turbo cobra mustang is the same flare fendered body as the mer capris and the mclaren mustang sizewise it is compadable with the mpc-amt fox mustang kits I'm using the mpc chassis pans with little modification beside front frame rail trim and relocate, on 1-24 scale the revell monogram chassis are not very detailed, yet they are far supirior to he u.s. Airfix "snapfix" mustangs I have I am carving out the engine bays on those kits and borrowing my revell-mono interior tubs and dashes and chassis plates to make a way better model :) so I play the shuFfle game with my collection I'm constantly swappin stuFf back and fourth on all myu models. Cheers!

The AMT 66 Nova Pro Street is another kit that is a good source of parts to use on other models. I have some Revell Camaro kits that I have pirated the engines and wheels out of (Yenkos especially) and the 66 Chevelle Wagon ( soon to be re-released) is another kit that has some nice wheels and engine to kitbash.

I've grabbed up a number of AMT '58 Plymouths cheap over the years to use as donors for several Johan '59 Plymouths I have and an Excel '59 Dodge. I've also hoarded a bunch of AMT '41 Plymouth kits for the flathead six to use in the same kits. My cousin had a green '59 Belvedere with a six in it I intend to build someday. I also have some of the '67 Mustangs to put that chassis under early Mustangs and Falcons too.

Years ago a local toy wholeseler went out of busness, andI bought a bunch of AMT 69 GTX kits for the chassis and engines. They are the best way I know of to update an old Jo Han Mopar, or old MPC and AMT Mopar kits easily. I think I bought every one he had, and I still have some left.

But they aren't donor kits only, they build up into a great GTX too.

I have all kinds of kits that I use as donors for others -- the 1/16 Rolls Phantom II has provided a lot of parts that are accurate and not included in the Mercedes SS and Rolls Phantom III kits, from chrome parts to wheels, etc., and the same for 1:24 Rolls kits that supply parts for my Mercedes 500K and Bugatti Atlantic.

Kit bashing is soooooo awsome mix it and match it that's what makes this such a great and creative hobby!

A while back I got the reissues of the Double Dragster kit and the Tony Nancy dual kit at the same time. I looked in those boxes and realized I could build a million different versions from the stuff in those two boxes! And that's what it was like for kids in the early 60s when those appeared!

AMT '70 Pro Street Bee as above.

Revell '69 'vette - for a gorgeous big block.

AMT '70 Monte Carlo Fast & Furious release. Contains all the stock parts plus all the low rider parts plus the big wheels plus a second rear end and a second set of seats and a BBC that's nearly as good as a Revell one. It's just a shame that they put no tuning parts in.

Revell '41 Willys Gassers for the running gear & blown hemi.

I consider a "donor kit" as something that I picked up relatively cheaply that I'm not too terribly interested in building out of the box. I've got a 64 mustang convertible I'm using for just that sort of thing, kitbashing the engine compartment and front suspension into my Gremlin kit. :)

I consider a "donor kit" as something that I picked up relatively cheaply that I'm not too terribly interested in building out of the box.

Agreed! I'm fortunate to be in an area that has clubs and shows so I'm able to find those $5 kits, started kits and old built ups that I buy because they're cheap and I think I may be able to use them for something someday. I don't hesitate to crack one open when I need a part. I love 50s pickups so I never hesitate to buy those on the cheap. I have a large 1950 Ford pickup parts box that I just dumped another two kits worth of parts into. I love having extras of the same part. Recently I was working on a sectioned pickup and blew through three cab floors until I got it right. Knowing I have extras gives me the confidence to dig in and cut plastic!

For Drag Builder, these are the ones that I notice the most:

Revell Miss Deal Funny Car - Wheels, Tires, Engine and Suspension

Revell Tony Nancy Double Dragster Set - Front Axles, injectors and scoops, chassis

Monogram 80' Pro Stocks - Engines, tires and wheels, rear suspensions, chassis

MPC/AMT Willy Borsch Winged Express- Chassis under almost any altered out there, engine, wheels and tires, engine

Revell 70's Funny Cars- Chassis Donors for Resin bodies

Polar Lights Funny Cars- Chassis Donors

AMT Piranha Funny Car- Wheels and tires, engine, chassis

AMT Pro Street cars- Suspension and engines

And those are just off the top of my head! Your mileage may vary!