Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thinking of doing a 1/16

I've always done 1/24-25th scale, but I saw on e-bay a 1/16th scale Charger with Black box art... It looks really nice...

I was wondering what the major difference is between the two scales besides the size of the parts ?? Are there a lot of aftermarket items for this scale ?? Also, has anyone built one of these yet and are there any challenges with this kit ??

Any help, hints, etc... would be greatly appreciated...

There is not a lot of Aftermarket parts in this scale or anything larger. You either have to buy other kits to get the parts or make them yourself. Or find someone that is willing to cast them or mill the part for you, then you are golden.

Like Junkman said, much easier on the eyes.... until you get to the detail scale hardware then even in this scale it is hard on the eyes.... and Bifocals will come in handy.

not too long ago i bid on and won a 1/16th "junkyard" which consisted of a built (what looks like a) top fuel dragster frame (just the rails) a more or less completed funny car chassis with motor interior all that stuff but the front wheels off and a few other parts loose, and a seemingly resin charger or something body with "Ramchargers" decal on one side (but nothing on the other...i assume these can be had somewhere?).

anyhow i got it and its been sitting on the table for a few weeks and i doubt i will be doing anything with it. if anyone wants to take it off my hands for what i paid, plus postage, send me a pm and we can work something out. i believe i paid about 35 for the bunch including shipping to me. additionally if you really want it bad enough and just dont have the money, talk to me and i might just end up passing it on for free. let me know if youre interested...im sure all kinda parts could be scavenged off this though its sort of a shame because the chassis etc are built up very nicely from what i can see, no real glue bomb stuff.

Steve, go for it man. :)

Been a while now since I stepped up, aside from some big scale in my very early stages (years ago..). It was these early tastes of what big scale could offer, which whet my appetite. :D

One of my early kits was the original to the Charger you mentioned. Sadly, it now resides in the "to re-build" pile. My early efforts were far from pleasing.. :lol:

The aftermarket is definitely not flooded with options, but they are there..As Charlie has pointed out, he is now catering to the bigger builders, which is excellent. B)

A search thru the 1/16 stuff on ebay will also turn up some interesting results at times...motors, wheels, builders.... ;)

Also some pretty neat Funnycar bodies and Promod bodies out there..wheels, tyres, motors, seats, fuel tanks and other kool stuff. :)

If you want a good "first" 1/16 scale kit, I suggest you pick up a Revell '34 Ford Coupe or Phaeton. Both go together easily, are pretty accurate overall (though they date to the mid-'80s "billet" rod era), and have some nice parts included. Most of the '60s-tooled kits (AMT '55/'57 Chevy, '64.5 Mustang) are a bit crude and lack details, and forget about the snap-tite Revell kits.

The Revell Funny Car and T/F Dragster kits go together fairly well, and there are a few different body styles to choose from.

To be honest, if you want to try a larger scale kit, the current 1/12 Revell Shelby Mustang kit would be ideal- it's easily found, goes together well, and has decent detail, with room to add as many additional details as you like.

Alot of good things can be made for 1/16th scale and it lends it's self to other 1/16th scale kits. swapping parts and creating your own creation is the fun part of 1/16th scale and you have a bigger surface to build and paint and you can detail it and give it your own touch and still have room for more ideas. let me know if you need anything since all i build is 1/16th scale and thier are real good aftermarket dealers on here as you have seen and i use thier items too. good luck and please keep us posted on it!! i love new 1/16th scale creations. Mr.1/16th

www.socalinnovations.com

It's a straight reissue, and it's basically the same as the currently available 1/16 Dukes of Hazzard Geneeral Lee '69 Charger underneath the body- vintage '71 NASCAR chassis, enigne and suspension, The interior was made closer to '73-4 Charger specs, and there are some additional parts likethe sidepipes, blower setup, and some way-too-wide rear wheels and tires.

If you're looking for a stock type kit in 1/16 scale, this one will disappoint you. Look through the "On The Workbench" and "Big Boyz" sections, as a few people have worked on this (and the related 1/16 Charger kits), so you can see what the kit is like and how much/little detail there is, and how accurate the parts are.

Scuba,

I am 75% of the way through a re-issue 1/16th dukes charger. It, along with the "street charger" are re-pops of the original kits from 30 some odd years ago. Under the bodies are all vintage nascar, as stated earlier, with the exception of the full interior with the street charger. It is NOT a good kit for a first timer or builder with limited experience. Aside from a mountain of work that I have created by making my kit to a more street level/tv series appearance charger, there are numerous fitment problems right out of the box. Specifically with the suspension. When you buld your kit, take extra care to remove mold flashing from the suspension parts and test fit/mock them as much as you can. You should also be prepared to modify (cut/file etc.) some parts to get the proper tire/wheel well clearence. Good luck with your kit and feel free to ask questions.

MR 1/16th, do you have detail goodies for that will work/fit this car?

I picked up the DOH charger a wile back thinking the same thing. I've had very little luck finding much to turn it into a more "street" car then movie car. wish i would have waited and got the street charger, I'm not really into nascar that much, basicly all the doh charger is,as stated above several times. But 18 bucks at hobbie lobby for a 1/16 was hard to pass up.