Model Cars Magazine Forum

Miami Vice Daytona Spyder - built one?

rob,I asked the same question two weeks ago. I didn't get many replies back.maybe the guys on here don't know me well enough to reply, i don't know. But I will keep an eye out for the replies that you get, ok?

It is a kit of a kit car. I did some research and the real Daytonas were too expensive for filming.Or so they say.

I am currently looking for a kit of the real ferrari daytona to complete my ferrari stable. sorry for interupting your post,bigtim.

Very clean build there futurabat !!!! I have a couple of the kit cars and a couple of the Fujimi enthusiast kits too. The kit car builds into a very nice build and is more simplified than the fuj. one as it has a much larger parts count. But both are excellent kits. !!

Rob, I built one of these when they first came out in the 80's. I kind of want to build one now, but I'd like to modify the body to better- replicate the McBurnie Daytonas used for the series. The body on the kit is actually more accurate for a "real" Daytona than a McBurnie replica- the windshield on the McBurnie car is the stock C3 Corvette unit and gives the car a different (and very cool) look.

I had built one back when they first came out and rebuilt it a few years ago. The body is not 100% correct with the covered headlight. The actual Miami Vice Daytona Spyder had smoke plexiglass covers over the headlights as well as the Covette windshield frame.

ViceDaytona07.jpg

ViceDaytona08.jpg

ViceDaytona12.jpg

ViceDaytona10.jpg

ViceDaytona09.jpg

I've been working on a really accurate Miami Vice car for a while now.Luckily I'm in contact with the guy who owns the "Camera Car" used for closeups in the series so I have gotten tremendous information from him and others on miamiviceonline.

My build thread is here:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?2622-Daytona-Model/page3

It starts halfway down the page and yes there haven't been any postings in a while but I'll be back to it very soon!

And for info about the car itself look at this thread...http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?1152-The-Ferrari-Daytonas-of-Miami-Vice

This was covered here somewhere before. The car seemed to have went through some transitions through the series including a headlight conversion. Since there is no 100 percent way to portrait them all, you may want to use some of the universal features of all the cars and try creating some features of one particular car of the set.

Edited by Skydime

There are 5 different iterations that can be built - the original Mardikian version as used in the pilot, the two cars (Camera car and Stunt car) as they looked during series 1, and the same two cars as they appeared during season 2. The differences between them are covered in the second link I attached in my prior message....

Seems the kit may have typical "Revell height" issue, needs to sit a tad lower. On another board, there is a builder by the name of Tom Miller, goes by the handle "bluemoose". His models made such an impression on me... real clean and a great shine. He also lowered most all his builds, and all had a nice stance. I hope to do likewise.

I suppose it's no shock to see a movie/TV car built box replica stock, but I was actually hoping to see if anyone had built anything wild with the kit.

Sadly, in my case, the sum of its parts was greater than the whole. Nice kit as a unit, but the wheels are awesome and engine, suspension, etc. etc. so chop, chop until there was nothing left but a mess.