Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foreign Vehicle build (Started)

martinfan5

I can never find 1500 grit, only 1000 , I am still learning the wet-sanding process and getting better, but still have a lot learn. Thank you guys from trying to help, I am going to check the body in a hour or two and see where I am with it.

So let see if I understand this correctly, use tamyia masking tape on the edges or raised area's? wet-sand around those areas? then polish out to blend it all together ?

oddly i found my 1000, 1500, etc at oreilleys auto. in the auto body section. Theres even higher grits too but prolly from a dedicated hobby shop / hobby e retailer

I am always there buying primer, and its on the same isle , next time I am there, I am going to turn around and look at the sand paper, I have a mirco mesh set, 3200-12000 grit

yeah its like $3 or $4 bux and u can get a mix of grits or like a 3 sheet of a particular grit. its 3m brand. they're long, designed to fit on their brand rubber sanding palm block thing. I have one of those too for the big flat areas on Xbox cases.

yah im in love with 1200 and 1500 saved my tail a few times already the last couple months that red Shelby i showed actually had to be thoroughly wet sanded with 3m and re hit.

I really need to get me some 1200/1500 paper

I used to get 1500 at Walmart but they don't carry it anymore. Also used to get it at parts stores in individual sheets. But they won't sell it like that anymore, so I have to buy the large assortment packs. Yes you are correct on the tape. A friend of mine gave me that tip and it helps keep from going through the edges. The dish soap also does help if you have one that is really rough and is eating up your paper. The way I get the polish outa the crevices is to soak the body in a bowl of water with a bit of liquid dish soap for a few hours and occasionally scrubbing in the crevices with a childs soft toothbrush, and let soak more and repeat untill it's all gone. This doesn't hurt the painted surfaces or scratch it at all as long as your careful. Then rinse well and dry with clean soft cloth or old tshirt. You can dry with white soft paper towels or kleenex. I don't like to use paper towels with printing on them cause the ink tends to come off on the model when it gets wet. Hope this helps.

Danny, thanks for the tips, really helpful, going to try it next time I polish a body.

I started working on the R34 Ztune

Started working on the chassis, I think I need to do a wash or get a little darker paint on the engine piece, I am thinking about doing a dull coat on the chassis as well

r1-1.jpg

the exhaust

r2-1.jpg

the body , starting to prime it in white

r3-1.jpg

Looking good, I like the valve cover, how did you do that?

Getting more done on the chassis, I also spray some dull coat over it

r1-2.jpg

r4.jpg

r2-2.jpg

Here are the brakes, I forgot to prime them first before I sprayed them with the matte aluminum, and as you can see, it crazed them

r3-2.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

Getting a little bit more done,

The front suspension is done

g2.jpg

Here are the brakes, just need to apply the brake decals

g3.jpg

and here it sits on all fours

g1.jpg

I have a few things left do on the chassis, then I am going to start getting the body painted

Edited by martinfan5

Looks great Nick, I built one of those a while back, it was a bit fiddly at times.

I've finished my build here too, it went together without incident once I'd got all those decals sorted :blink:

012-10.jpg

013-8.jpg

Has a decision been reached about the racecar CBP or should I post my Martini Alfa here for the time being?

Nice to see you back, the BMW turned out very nice sSig_goodjob2.gif

I have no idea about the race car CBP, and if thats going to take off or not

Thanks Jonathan. I don't know how you guys manage to build so quickly and spend so much time on here :huh: