Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foreign Vehicle build (Started)

martinfan5

Finnally home , now I can get the Countach finished

How was the trip?, did you have a good time?

I guess I should get some pics posted to what I have done,well its not alot.

Starting with 599, getting the engine painted

a1-11.jpg

a3-7.jpg

a2-9.jpg

started working on the chassis, I decided to lower this one, here is a pic of the front after I may the mod to lower it

a7-1.jpg

a8.jpg

The grill comes chrome plated, I think it will just look better, to me for some reason chrome does not look good. I have no idea why I keep doing black wheels, just like I dont know why I keep buying ferrari kits :lol: . The Jag is going to have chrome wheels, and if I ever get flocking that I can use, it will get done. I have now bought two different things of flocking, and both I can use.

One is too dark, and the last one I got, its close enough in color, but its all clumpy

Edited by martinfan5

Hi all.

Sorry for the radio silence. I have finished the dash in my 904. I basically removed the pre-molded gauges and knobs (which looked nothing like a Porsche dash) and scratch built it. What do you think? The first pic is a test. The 2nd shows faces in bezels as test fit. The 3rd shows the faces installed with pin head and styrene needles. 4th is final with epoxy "glass".

306733_10151969578680323_1698250700_n.jpg

563882_10151968324775323_485045310_n.jpg

292396_10151969724275323_1197631209_n.jpg

552529_10151970665185323_1143026107_n.jpg

Hi all.

Sorry for the radio silence. I have finished the dash in my 904. I basically removed the pre-molded gauges and knobs (which looked nothing like a Porsche dash) and scratch built it. What do you think? The first pic is a test. The 2nd shows faces in bezels as test fit. The 3rd shows the faces installed with pin head and styrene needles. 4th is final with epoxy "glass".

Those gauges look killer, nicely done.

Hi Jonathan. Thanks!

It was pretty easy actually. First I removed the molded gauges and buttons from the plastic part using a very small chisel. Then i sanded it. Following this, I used my dremmel to acutally drill holes almost as large as the gauges themselves. you can see that here:

14304d20b8b711e1af7612313813f8e8_7.jpg

(The toggle switches are starter button wereb purchased online.)

To find the correct Porsche-era gauges, I went to North Hollywood Spedometer's website. (They do gauge restoratio and restored the clock on my 1:1 1964 Porsche 356 .) Luckly they had some excellent straight on shots of their work. I copied them over to my mac and I used photoshop to scale them to the size I wanted. I didnt print on decal paper, but rather high quality photo paper instead. I was looking for something with a bit of heft. While I did sand the paper a little after I cut the gauges out, it was still thick enough to pierce a pin through the centre. This gave me the centre pin for the needles. The needles were made using very thin styrene rod cut to lenth. A long one on one side of the pin head, a shorter one on the other. I used a VERY sharp #11 blade to cut the extra off and make a arrow-head point.

The chrome bezels were made by cutting aluminum tubing in a mitre box and then sanding using sanding sticks to get the right thinkness. I used all the grades from corse to super-fine. I also used a metal polish at the end to give it a extra-sheen.

I glued the gauge faces with needle installed onto the dash using CA glue. The extra length of pin (I left 2 cm for good measure) went into the holes I created with the dremmel.

Finally, I used 5-min epoxy for the "glass". I found this time it dried funny, cracked or something. So I topped it off with Model Master's Top Clear Coat.

Hope this explains it.

Jon