Model Cars Magazine Forum

That's some extraordinary work, Tony. Your brass work is as neat as a pin. I've done a bit and can appreciate the results you got. Fantastic!

Thank you, I have also made and cast all the rubber mounts for the tanks.....

Wow Tony, that's nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Ben, it certainly isn't no plastic kit, and is a lot harder to plan as well as making the tooling to suit the various parts that I am making from sheet stock,

I may start a thread on it one day when the chassis is together

Jim

Watch these video's on how the frame and core come together, may help you build yours http://www.ftrs.com.au/honeycomb/make_a_core.php

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi you all, well I talked it over with my friend (the one I'm doing this build for) and after pointing out to him about afew heavy parts he had gotten for on his project here. I told him it would be best if the project had a metal frame instead of the weak kit frame. So he told me to go ahead and build one. So I'm scratch building a new metal frame for his project out of brass and copper. Here is afew photos so far. I have more to do on the new metal frame yet.. along with the radiator yet as well.

394324_4606694929673_1332180564_n.jpg

538512_4606695569689_270578480_n.jpg

295276_4606695849696_1569148105_n.jpg

539295_4606696289707_930056290_n.jpg

538918_4606696489712_1545169747_n.jpg

Oh dear you must be kidding right?

Your making a C channel out of a round pipe..... this is not really the way to tackle this, if fact it is no where near close to what this should be, for a start the wall thickness is way out of scale for this, and second

when the form of a circle is changed to form a C the metal grows, and is hard to keep a uniformed shape the entire length of the frame in scale this frame would be 1 in thick

The Photo I posted above shows a proper C channel frame in BRASS that frame is 0.020 and is close to being in scale with 1/16th this was also made from sheet stock, in fact it is K&S strip that is folded to a C channel with the correct radius on the bends

The real chassis are Hydro formed to the correct shape, hard to do in a home environment considering the frame is 500mm long,

A better way to do this would be to go to your local hardware and look for some Aluminium channel that was close to was you need and trim it to suit, or use the original frame with a sheet brass insert along the inside of the frame

Oh dear you must be kidding right?

Your making a C channel out of a round pipe..... this is not really the way to tackle this, if fact it is no where near close to what this should be, for a start the wall thickness is way out of scale for this, and second

when the form of a circle is changed to form a C the metal grows, and is hard to keep a uniformed shape the entire length of the frame in scale this frame would be 1 in thick

The Photo I posted above shows a proper C channel frame in BRASS that frame is 0.020 and is close to being in scale with 1/16th this was also made from sheet stock, in fact it is K&S strip that is folded to a C channel with the correct radius on the bends

The real chassis are Hydro formed to the correct shape, hard to do in a home environment considering the frame is 500mm long,

A better way to do this would be to go to your local hardware and look for some Aluminium channel that was close to was you need and trim it to suit, or use the original frame with a sheet brass insert along the inside of the frame

Nope, I am not kidding, sir. Plus due to the amount that my friend has in this project. I want something that is heavier to hold all the heavy stuff on board (not just photo ect stuff either). I'm not going for looks on this part and neither is he. We don't go off scale numbers, we go off of what we think will work and be better instead of looks. Because at times numbers can be wrong. Plus my local hobby shop only carries certain things always gets in small pieces of brass and copper stuff. Plus he always like to go through his fav places to get certain things, so I'm limited to metals at times. Maybe you like to send me a sheet of copper or brass? LOL

BTW you all, the semi chassis shown here is the same longest as the original kit frame is as I measured it to it and hold it right up beside the kit one too each time I worked with the metal. It's the same height and longness as well. Even the original kit wall's and the copper frame walls are the same size. Same size.. I been marking each point and measuring things at each cut and bend to the original frame. I will try to photo graph this stuff later on here and post photos of it.

Holly @#!%$# you are not messing a round, you are going have a sh%$#^&% ton of time on this. I can't wait until you are done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

LOL, I don't kid around or mess around. When I say I'm going to build something, I mean just that. I could go the correct numbers route and look good then my friend and I could worry about the amount he has in stuff on it or I can go the heavy duty way and me and him not worry about the stuff on board getting broken just because we went with correct looks and not heavy enough. The original kit frame is to weak and not thick enough, and most of the kit parts has been braking on me. My friend (the one I'm doing the project for that picked the kit out told me he should have had me 4 years ago pick the right and good kit out instead of him picking out one he liked the box art of.. The kit frame is to thin don't like glues to much either. So I think the new way I'm going and heading with it and new frame will work alot more better and will also be heavy enough to support its weight and also the heavy stuff that is plan to go on board it as well.

You speak about time on this project, my friend and I have 3 years at least on the project and no dead line on it at all. It's not just a project to him but rather something very very special too him as well and very personal to his family and relatives as well an means alot to him. He had two uncles that was close to him that was truck drivers in the family that are no longer around that went due to cancers. I lost my dad also due to cancer as well a decade back.

Jim,

Watched this one from the start and I have to tell you, I have been amazed at the work put into this build !! You have shown some

great scratch building and use of alot of best available material. Would always be great if we could just walk in and buy what we need off the shelf but sometimes that doesn't happen given whats available and what the budget is. My hats off to for the amount

of time and effort put into this one and looking forward to seeing more as it progresses !!

Rick

Okay, just as promise by me afew hours ago. I did some work and also got some more photos to show of the sizes here between the new metal frame and the original kit frame. I will let the photos do the talking. I need to do some more work on the pieces though.

396121_4609735165677_1354062565_n.jpg

216943_4609740965822_2027791334_n.jpg

523402_4609751126076_1833766951_n.jpg

405873_4609763126376_1695193434_n.jpg

Edited by zerodude

Jim,

Watched this one from the start and I have to tell you, I have been amazed at the work put into this build !! You have shown some

great scratch building and use of alot of best available material. Would always be great if we could just walk in and buy what we need off the shelf but sometimes that doesn't happen given whats available and what the budget is. My hats off to for the amount

of time and effort put into this one and looking forward to seeing more as it progresses !!

Rick

Hi Rick,

First off, thanks for the kind comments about the project here. 2nd off, I'm just doing my best that I can do. Alot of work have went into this project, I look for certain materials around town but it's hard to find certain kinda and at first my friend had s budget on the project in the first week he went through that real fast back 3 years ago. he told me he doesn't want the mode only for looks but what it to hold up very well as well. The real truck it's being pattern off of is in between a work truck and a show truck though.. and that is how my friend wants this model to look too. I told him if I had to scratch build certain things then I would go the extra mile and do it as this project means alot to the both of us as both had lost love ones.. and me and him are like brothers in a way so to speak. Your right some stuff you need you just can't walk into a store and just buy off the selves that easy at times. So you gotta do what you gotta do on some projects with what you have on hand. My friend and I try to work within a budget frame on certain areas on the build. This area was an area that was really no budget for and I have alot of tubing pieces on hand and I like working with metal's at times anyways. My friend and I both think this will be alot better then the original kit frame and thinner stuff you can get at times that can flux when certain amount of weight is added He likes this way so much better that he told me he wants me to do the trailer frame for the semi the very same way if I can when we get to the trailer build part.

Hi Jim,

Really like your project. That rad. core idea is great and making those frame pieces out of tubing is looking good!! Looking forward to following your progress on this :)

Randy

Hi Randy, first off, thanks for the kind words. 2nd My friend wanted this model to look realistic as possible. I got thinking last month after I looked at the original kit radiator that it didn't look good at all and wouldn't work with the project either. So I knew I could make a better looking one for the project. But 2 weeks ago after I got looking at all the stuff my friend had gotten for on the project most of the stuff is alittle heavy you can say, I knew the plastic frame would not due for this either. But rest of the kit will though. Seeing as how I am good at scratch building stuff, and kinda new to soldering I figure why not try to build a frame that was heavier and can with stand weight as well. tubing is what I had on hand so that is what I choze to work with. LOL

Did some more work on the frame, truth be told, I'm kinda new to soldering LOL. So I'm learning real fast with this project. Anyways had one mishap with the rear plate, had to make a new one, the other one was to small. So the new one was a tad bigger which I trim down to size.

Here is the rails..

578389_4631023897882_859419687_n.jpg

The rear cross plate in the making..

381365_4631024577899_856638980_n.jpg

644327_4631025217915_649909263_n.jpg

263997_4631025737928_798808255_n.jpg

558347_4631026297942_812821812_n.jpg

320173_4631026497947_2061400819_n.jpg

644635_4631026857956_320732586_n.jpg

Talk about rain! Was starting to put the frame together when the rain decided to come through the area..

386105_4631028137988_731620155_n.jpg

556536_4631028738003_1267162007_n.jpg

The middle cross members piece that will cut down and used to make the cross members joints.

301257_4631030098037_962183236_n.jpg

I will go back after all is done and clean up the solder.

Edited by zerodude

• 1 month later...