Model Cars Magazine Forum

HELP ! Windscreen required ,,,,

Biffo

Hi first post from new and desperate user !

I was just about finishing the body of the 79 pioneer/john collins F/C body, and attaching the screen, when SCHHNNAP !the screen cracked and splintered and is ruined.

The kit is an airfix(MPC?) Black Belt F/C but i suspect it may be generic to a couple of kits of the period (burnout bird?)

I would try to make a replacement but this screen seems to have a compound curvature !

Please anyone can you help (oh yeah the box was opened an started and cost me over £28.00 and i am unlikely to come across another, that i can afford) also missing the top of rollcage structure if anyone has that also (not so concerned about that i could fab one)

post-8893-0-22187400-1322465297_thumb.jp

post-8893-0-10242300-1322465399_thumb.jp

Or, as has already been suggested, you can make your own simply by creating a paper template and creating one from clear plastic. I know that making your own glass, especially compound curves, can be intimidating but with enough practice (and luck) it can work. This picture is showing the windshield that I created for my Opel Super Gas car with planty of compound curve. You might have to try multiple times to get it to work but it is possible.

DSC03010-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

w409 i dont think airfix released the burnout bird, just seemed like it might be from same tooling to me, so suspected screens would match ! just found another airfix black belt opened but complete but guy wants over £30.00 ($52.00) for it !!

So holding out for the screen from magic, to hopefully save the day! (M,P. you are a gentlemen and a scholar)

w409 i dont think airfix released the burnout bird,

This is what I got for 5€ (about 6,5$).

P1010290.jpg

Well, looks like MPC has also released Burnout Bird. On the backside of that decal sheet, there is MPC Burnout Bird text... And I've seen this Burnout Bird with MPC box too, but my box shows, it would be AirFix kit...

yeah thats the one ! even got the roll cage top i need ! let me know when you want to sell :unsure:

Sorry, but you are bit late. If it wouldn't be glued on it's place, I maybe could post it to England. It wouldn't cost too much, because it's inside Europe. But anyway, it's already painted and glued. The car is almost finished, just needs to do little cleanup before I can post it here and say that it's complete.

PC140397.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Project back on track thanks to the unbelievable helpful MAGIC PHOTOS (Cant thank you enough mate)

Windscreen is now fitted along with internal tins !

Starting on scratch/kit bashing a roll cage hoop !

Body pretty much finished (cant find any photos of actual car for associate sponsor decals so leaving them off for now!), but it was a nightmare decalling as the

slixx decals where designed for the longer comp resins body i think, so all colours blue,white yellow had to be painted on , and then the slixx pinstripe flashes etc had to be cut into about 20 sections each side then lined up,! all looks good now clear is on though !

http://images51.fotki.com/v303/photos/9/1843909/10246273/DSC_0025-vi.jpg

Looks nice, love the paint scheme and it looks like your finish laid down really smooth for your decals. The last picture does it have a clear coat over the decals or do you still have that to do? Last pic, it even looks like you have laid down some clear coat already.

Keep up the great work on this kit and make sure to show us the next set of updates.

AIRFIX MOLDS WERE RELEASED UNDER THE MPC LABEL IN THE 1960'S.AND MPC KITS WERE REBOXED UNDER THE AIRFIX LABEL.. OTHERS WERE MONOGRAM- BANDAI ,. FROG- AMT, AND IMC-UNION. OH, HOW ABOUT REVELL -CEJI / ADVENT? CAN ANYONE NAME ANYMORE THAT I MISSED?

Edited by paul alflen

Ok good news and some BAD !

Good news i have decided detail this engine and make it my first competition entry at a show on the 11th of Feb !

Bad news the chassis in front of the motor turned into a banana, when i tried to dry some mattcoat on the headers over an electric fire !!!OOPPS !!

So currently "front ending" the chassis and waiting on my pro tech hoses to arrive !

Will post pictures later !