Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bobby's 57

Travis Waits

A friend of mine ask me to try and duplicate a car he piloted back in the late 70s. A local favorite back in the day he was a threat each and every week. While he had many cars over the years the one pictured was one his favorites. I will do my best to replicate it for him...

Thanks for looking....

post-920-0-98147800-1322527757_thumb.jpg

I will be using Revells "Black Widow" which in comparison to the other dirt 57s I have completed over the years is a very good base with alot of deletion process already molded or should I say molded out. Things like the radio, ventilation controls, and much of firewall non essentials are gone. Many extra parts are included for personalization along with a nice decal sheet for those who desire to build the boxart.

post-920-0-88847200-1322528183_thumb.jpg

I primed the body with Valspar from Lowes which has always worked well in the past with the laquers I have used. After sanding with 1500-2000 in progression I re primed and sanded the entire body again with the 2000. The picture shows all the flaws picked up during the chisel/hobby knife/file/sanding pad chrome removal process and is a much needed step to smooth everything out.

post-920-0-65489900-1322528876_thumb.jpg

I rmoved the factory mesh in the grill along with the center parking light bar. I replaced them with a more accurate scale grill to simulate the screen wire most of these cars had in one fashion or another. Using a piece of a jewelry gift bag my wife has at her work I cut to fit a piece and along with CA glue attached it to the bumper shell.

post-920-0-35010800-1322563784_thumb.jpg

I wanted to duplicate the look of a door that had simply had its door panels removed and put into service. I searched for a pic and found hardly anything on the subject go so I used my imagination and started drawing/cutting. I used the kit supplied door panels but removed all the detail (armrest, door handles and window cranks) afterwards cutting out the access "holes" and came up with what looks like a fair representation.

Ditch it or go with it?

post-920-0-54829900-1322564997_thumb.jpg

post-920-0-30189900-1322565010_thumb.jpg