Model Cars Magazine Forum

Enamels WIN!

I think I tossed this question out a while back to Don regarding using automotive polishes and waxes like Turtle wax polish and wax and if I remember correctly Don said you can't use automotive products on Enamel paint jobs, this stuff if make for laquers.

Is the ratio still the same for doing flats? 2:1

Jay ,

Yes it is ! Works like a charm , remember , light mist coats ! As for the patience , lol , that comes with age ! I think what you're feeling right now is the hunger to get rolling !

That is a good thing , but you have to be patient , refuse to get frustrated with your mistakes , learn from them , and continually move forward !

At 55 years old , I am still learning , exploring , constantly pushing that envelope ! At 34 , you have an education at your finger tips the older guys never had . Take advantage of it ! Some of the hobbies most prolific builders are here and they are always willing to lend a hand or advise.

Welcome to The Styrene Addiction !

Umm hmmm ! Plenty of bare metal foil work too ! This will keep you busy for awhile , lucky you ! Lol !

Just a heads up , should you use the side glass. It needs to be shaved down going towards the rear deck . Otherwise , the interior bucket does not fit properly . When you slide the frame into the body , take care with the rear wheels , you might have to take a knife blade and pry the body out a bit to allow it to clear .

This is a great kit , looking forward to see what your " twisted " mind comes up with ! Lmao !

Donn, this one has smooth sides all around, no trim on the outside. Just the interior. :D

Aww! Virgil !

Don't sissy up on this ! Lol !

All that pretty chrome work on the outside and you're not goin foil it ? That would really set this paint work off , you know that right ?

Oh well , here's your hat , go sit in the corner , you have hurt my feelings ! Lmao !

Thanks, Donn. I don't know about monster, but I'm almost boder line gloss-addict now, that is until I start getting the hankering for some RUST! LOL! :lol:

Dr. Jekyll (Rust) and Mr. Hyde (Gloss) live peacefully in the Lab-RAT-ory. That's a tale for all model builders, all right.

Works for me ! Get bored or fed up with one ? Break on through to the other side ! Lol !

I do believe , however , that this is a secret plot on your part to make Crazy Jim even crazier then he already is ! You're flashing back and forth across the rust / gloss line so often now that he's getting whip lash !

Tech note ... How much of the Pearl X are you adding ? I've been using two scapel blade tips per 3/4 ounces of clear . When I get back , I'm going to play with the ratios to see what I come up with . I want to see where I can achieve that slight shimmer and what it takes ratio wise to get there

Here you go, you GLOSSYHEADED HIPSTERS OF STYRENE:

022-vi.jpg

021-vi.jpg

I posted more pictures over in UNDER GLASS "A Feast of Snakes."

Cheers, DC

The gloss is not out of my system yet, so watch out. :lol:

Doc your killing me ! I just ordered 2 of those kits :D My wife loves those Cobras so

naturally I had to have em it was like the green light .......

Works for me ! Get bored or fed up with one ? Break on through to the other side ! Lol !

I do believe , however , that this is a secret plot on your part to make Crazy Jim even crazier then he already is ! You're flashing back and forth across the rust / gloss line so often now that he's getting whip lash !

Tech note ... How much of the Pearl X are you adding ? I've been using two scapel blade tips per 3/4 ounces of clear . When I get back , I'm going to play with the ratios to see what I come up with . I want to see where I can achieve that slight shimmer and what it takes ratio wise to get there

Donn, I use the back of a coffee stirrer and load up just a pinch of the powder and mix it into the clear . . . it's that simple. Lately I've been mixing to different kinds of powders to experiment with the effect. Also, if I want to tin the clear and put in a drop or two of the base color or a lighter color.

Donn and Virgil if I may tune in here fer a moment I would like to show ya what I did using Pearl-X Gold Pearl. What I did was mix it in clear and sprayed it over Red and you can see what the result is. You can see the Red and the Gold depending on how the light hits it. It also has a kinda Orange look to it. I have experimented with the Pearl-X pearls and I like them very much. I have a few more builds that I've used it on. I used two scoops with a stirrer to mix it and I've also experiminted with different mixes. The more pearl you use the less covering you need to do, but again, it depends on what you're going for.

DSC02699.jpg

Dan

Dan, I see the effect on the picture. Very nice. What I think we are all doing is delighting ourselves with the Pearl Ex powders. It's highly addictive for sure, but also it's just a great way of putting more fun into the painting process.

There's a real deep (and in scale) sparkle to these powders and it shows on your model beautifully. Thank you.

Do you guys think these pearl powders could be mixed into Future and then brushed on? I've seen them at Michaels, and with a 40-50% off coupon would only be $13 and I've been thinking about picking some up. The downside is I don't have an airbrush so I don't know how else I'd use them.

Just wondering what you think or if anyone has tried it. Thanks.