Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1/12 1930 Bentley Racing Car

Hello....... a couple of years ago I bought this kit from Mr. Herb Deek`s at a great price........I finally decided to build it......this MPC 1/12 scale 1930 Bentley Racing Car is on the work bench.......I will give progress photos in a couple of day`s.......thank`s for looking.

DSCF2062.jpg

DSCF2065.jpg

DSCF2066.jpg

Edited by John Teresi

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this. If it's anything like your Cadillac V-16, it'll be a stunner. My favorite kit that I've ever built, and it screams for detail upgrades. Let me know if you need any reference (this is the same car now owned by Ralph Lauren, but was kitted in the early 70s before he bought it), and you might search this site for Harry P's experience with it.

Just some top-of-mind tips:

• There's a lot wire mesh on the 1:1, which is molded into the plastic in the kit: headlight stone guards, stone guard in front of the Brooklands windscreen, and surrounding the gas tank. You'll probably want to replace these with real mesh. I even added flyscreen to the radiator, and you may want to add the mesh guard covering the carbuetors.

• You may want to replace the interior side panels, which are molded into the body shell, and the doors should open on the 1:1 car, which they don't in the kit.

• I lost the links, but there are downloadable super-detailing guides available on the Web. You might also check out Gerald Wingrove's site for his 1:15 scratchbuild.

• Engine needs a fan assembly.

Edited by sjordan2

Me, too... This is a great kit - one of Airfix's best ever. I had a blast building mine. I saw the real thing in Paris earlier this year the Lauren collection exhibition, and it is a massively impressive beast in the flesh. It's very dark the way it's painted now, and I'd recommend going for a more original lighter green finish, like the one in your two pictures. Message me if you'd like me to send over some reference material...

Good luck with it.

All the best,

Matt

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this. If it's anything like your Cadillac V-16, it'll be a stunner. My favorite kit that I've ever built, and it screams for detail upgrades. Let me know if you need any reference (this is the same car now owned by Ralph Lauren, but was kitted in the early 70s before he bought it), and you might search this site for Harry P's experience with it.

• There's a lot wire mesh on the 1:1, which is molded into the plastic in the kit: headlight stone guards, stone guard in front of the Brooklands windscreen, and surrounding the gas tank. You'll probably want to replace these with real mesh. I even added flyscreen to the radiator, and you may want to add the mesh guard covering the carbuetors.

• You may want to replace the interior side panels, which are molded into the body shell, and the doors should open on the 1:1 car, which they don't in the kit.

• I lost the links, but there are downloadable super-detailing guides available on the Web. You might also check out Gerald Wingrove's site for his 1:15 scratchbuild.

Me, too... This is a great kit - one of Airfix's best ever. I had a blast building mine. I saw the real thing in Paris earlier this year the Lauren collection exhibition, and it is a massively impressive beast in the flesh. It's very dark the way it's painted now, and I'd recommend going for a more original lighter green finish, like the one in your two pictures. Message me if you'd like me to send over some reference material...

Good luck with it.

All the best,

Matt

Matt......thank you so much for you offer to help......I sure could use any ref-pictures you might have.......thank`s

Edited by John Teresi

Skip.......I sure could use any ref-pictures you might have........I only have the 2 that I posted.......I plan on searching the web as well.......I will up-grade all the above that you have mentioned and more......I really like this car and will do my best to bring it to life.......thank you for your help.

John

I got to see the real car at the Concourse de Elegance @ Pebble Beach a couple of years ago

here's a few photos:

P8164449-vi.jpg

P8164450-vi.jpg

P8164451-vi.jpg

Built this same model a few years back...great kit begging for the extra detail you can put into a model.

Remember the everything from the doors rearward are covered in canvas...not s'sposed to be shiny

have fun

lookin' forward to seeing your build of this model

c'ya

Edited by curt raitz

John

I got to see the real car at the Concourse de Elegance @ Pebble Beach a couple of years ago

here's a few photos:

P8164449-vi.jpg

P8164450-vi.jpg

P8164451-vi.jpg

Built this same model a few years back...great kit begging for the extra detail you can put into a model.

Remember the everything from the doors rearward are covered in canvas...not s'sposed to be shiny

have fun

lookin' forward to seeing your build of this model

c'ya

Curt......thank you so much for the photo`s......really help`s......and thank you all for your kind word`s and input.

So this is going to be an actual replica, not a wild custom? Looks like you already have some great reference to make it accurate, if you can go that route...

Thats my question, stock or wild custom, but we have seen his wild customs, now if its stock it will be a wild stock, cant wait to see this one done. In fact I love that kit, been wanting to score that one as well for a long time.

Edited by Darren B

John, John, John. What am I gonna do with you? I ask for a Funny Car and you bring a Serious Car. :rolleyes:

Well, at least it's got a blower, I think. That is the back of the charger we're lookin at pokin' through the nose, right? It's either that or the world's loudest AAAOOOOGGGAAAHHH horns on either side of it.

For real, it already looks like you'll have no end of fun making it look realistic.

Might be some help here. This image is larger than shown here. Also, you may have discovered by now that this kit was originally intended to be motorized, with a battery box under the rear seat and some unnecessary gears that go into the engine block.

bentleybbCUTAWAYcopy-1.jpg

Edited by sjordan2

Might be some help here. This image is larger than shown here. Also, you may have discovered by now that this kit was originally intended to be motorized, with a battery box under the rear seat and some unnecessary gears that go into the engine block.

bentleybbCUTAWAYcopy-1.jpg

Skip......thank you for your reference photos........every piece of info: helps.......thank`s

A bit more:

This is one of the 4 other of the Lauren car's sister cars built for the Birkin team. A few minor differences. I recommend adding the wheel weight cylinders (I made them from the kit's sprue bits).

Picture3copy.png

This is the Lauren car's cockpit. You'll notice at the top center of the dash a knob that is shaped like an awl and has a coil spring around the shaft under the knob. This is for priming the gas. The steering wheel is wrapped in cord, like most of the Birkin Bentleys. And the aft-facing side of the seat back is carpet/fabric, not leather. You will also notice that Lauren's restoration has a semi-gloss finish to the painted fabric part of the body shell - it's not as flat as might be expected, or as I painted my kit. Also, Lauren has added a removable gray carpet on top of the aluminum floorboard. There are two horizontally mounted black cylinders just above the dash on the fabric cowling; these are map lights. In this shot, you will also see that the mesh stone guard in front of the windscreens is much finer than any of the other mesh. I recommend using a replacement coffee filter.

LarenBentleyCockpitcopy.jpg

3172005115718copy.jpg

Regarding the kit, you've probably seen that the gauge faces are totally black. This is because the dials are on the other side of the decal, which is to be applied on the back side of the clear gauge lens part of the kit. You may want to make your own gauge lenses to get rid of the sink marks in the kit plastic.

The other side of the engine.

20967563-L.jpg

Another Blower Bentley. Note the cross-bracing between the firewall and the cowling. This car is painted closer to British Racing Green, whereas the Lauren car appears to be the sort of dark olive that was used on the Jaguar SS 100.

BlowerBentley2copy.jpg

At this point, I would turn over any further questions to Harry, who knows even more detail than I do.

Edited by sjordan2

John...this will no doubt be another interesting master piece. where do you find the time ? I still have that Rolls Royce on the work bench from Nov. of last year, when you did the Star of India. Soon(thats what I keep telling myself) Lookin foward to seeing this in the making.