Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here Kitty, Kitty,... (or Oh!...For the love of Cats)... 1st and 2nd gen (1963 and 1967- 1973) Cougar CBP

Abell82

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I did NOT forget about this one, I've just been thinking of what exactly I want to build for it- I love Cougs, and settling on which one to start off with was a bit of a challenge. I'll be starting off with a '73 kit, and it will be done as a beater. Think of a cross between a careworn '70's street machine and Uncle Buck's Grand Marquis and you'll have a general idea of what I'm going for.

'73 Beater has begun-

1-vi.jpg

Chassis is mostly done- I rsied the rear suspension 2", and added some Blue Streak racing tires out back. Front tires are from the kit, but I used the steel wheels from an AMT '62 Pontiac in front, and a '66 Nova Pro Street out back. I also adapted the exhaust from the Nova for use on the Cougar.

2-vi.jpg

There's a '71 Monte Carlo in my area that's undergone some pretty brutally bad bodywork- basically the whole car is made of hammer dents and gray primer at this point. I replicated a similar look on the Coug's quarter by 'tapping' at it with a conical grinding bit in my Dremel, after removing the rear side marker lamp. I also 'rusted out' the rear wheel openings on both sides.

3-vi.jpg

I also separated the grille and bumper to make detail painting a bit easier. I also now have the choice to install the bumper a bit crooked it I want.

• 1 month later...

Okay guys I am happy to join in now. My rusty, crusty and dusty '69. This will be a very quick build. I'm planning on primered fenders and a miss-matched hood, a tunnel rammed big block and some 70's style big & littles jacked up in the rear a bit.

2012-08-12212933.jpg

2012-08-12212906.jpg

2012-08-12212856.jpg

Okay here's where I'm at. The brown primer is the areas that will be getting paint. The grey areas will stay grey but be weathered. The painted areas will be getting rust colored acrylics sponged on and then salted and then sprayed with a light coat of flat blue. Then more salt and a coat of flat white. Then I will knock it all off, feather the paint breaks with some 70% isopropyl and then I will be adding some heavy rust in the areas of the rust throughs with some baby powder and acrylic rust washes.

2012-08-15130509.jpg

2012-08-15130525.jpg

2012-08-15131112.jpg

I should end up with finishes that resemble the following.

trailer004.jpg

37chev2002.jpg

Okay I have layered on the acrylic paints applied with a sponge. Tomorrow I'll give it a light scrub with some 70% alcohol and work my way through the layers until I get to the rust colors. The more serious rust will be added with talc and washes.

2012-08-18161627.jpg

2012-08-18161606.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

• 2 weeks later...

Starting a 72 cat....will post pics as i progress....like the cougars.....probably gonna get a 73 built also.....color right now is in the thought process so I can figure direction of the builds....stay tuned...will have stuff shortly.....enjoying what I see already....will be following..,