Model Cars Magazine Forum

SMP 1911 Chevrolet

This was done for GM by SMP for Chevrolet's 50th anniversary in 1961- in an agreement with GM the tooling was destroyed after the limited run of kits. Resin guys... if you ever track one of these down... pleeeze, pull a mold off it and repop it! The Chevy II four-banger I just built needs a home! :lol: I think it might make a neat little hot rod, and might be interesting enough to build box stock.

11chevy-vi.jpg

Yes it was about 1990 that Mike cast the 1911 Chevy. He did two versions, a complete stock kit & street rod without the wheels & such. Mike was a good guy unfortunately he died I think within a few months of producing it. I know of one person that has one of those & have heard of another that supposedly has one. I have asked the one person about getting it cast. So far no word, I would LOVE to have one & imagine many others would also. Especially with the NNL Nationals theme being 100 years of Chevy next year.

Just searched eBay for 1910-1923 diecast Chevys, found a few pre-1920 in 1/32 scale, but nothing in 1/25 until 1923...

Possibly something like this one could be used as a basis for a master???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1923-Chevrolet-Hemmings-Motor-News-Truck-No-4-1-25-Scale-Ertl-7620-Made-1992-/280758829703?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item415e87c287

The late Mike Watgen of Mike's Miniature Motors managed to cabbage onto the rare AMT kit of the 1911 Prototype Chevrolet Touring car (the 50th Anniversary 1911 Chevrolet Promo was this kit, factory assembled). Those kits and promo's were available ONLY from Chevrolet Dealers in 1961, and once the production run was completed for Chevy, their representatives audited the destruction of the tooling.

Mike cast the kit parts in resin, sold them as parts, or as a partial kit (Street Rod version) or as the full stock '11 Chevy prototype kit. Mike died, tragically, early in the morning of the first Sunday in May 1994, as he was loading his van with product, to attend the Hoosier Model Car Association's annual swap meet and contest in Indianapolis IN.

Modelhaus did acquire a few masters from Mike's widow; Jimmy Flintstone acquired Mike's excellent 1966 Chevy II 2dr sedan transkit masters.

Art

Thanks for clearing that up Art, I knew it was the early '90s but not exactly when. I hate to use Mike's death as a commercial but it is a very strong reminder that if you see something from the after market that you want. Get it you never know when or why it won't be available. After many years regretting not buying Mike's '51 Studebaker conv. when he was alive I found one at Toledo a couple years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for clearing that up Art, I knew it was the early '90s but not exactly when. I hate to use Mike's death as a commercial but it is a very strong reminder that if you see something from the after market that you want. Get it you never know when or why it won't be available. After many years regretting not buying Mike's '51 Studebaker conv. when he was alive I found one at Toledo a couple years ago.

I did buy the 1952 Studebaker Converteble . I did the research , used the Fred Cady Decals to make the Pace Car from this casting . I think I'll do a bug in Jimmy's ear . Thanx ..

There is one on ebay $1111.11 :(

Divided by the number of people who want a resin copy, that comes out to about....yeah, still a bit pricey. :huh:

Here's the one on eBay, just for reference, since most (like me) have likely never seen one, and who knows when/if we will again:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50th-Anniversary-1911-Chevrolet-AMT-SMT-1962-Kit-rarest-kit-ever-/140664769792?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c0460d00#ht_500wt_1287

Edited by Casey