Model Cars Magazine Forum

SMP 1911 Chevrolet

I thought 62 was Chevrolet anniversary year. I had a oval frame gold tented wall mount bubble with a 1912 Chevrolet in the top and a 1962 golden anniversary Chevrolet in the bottom. It was given to me buy a man that had a Chevrolet/Buick dealership a got it in 1962 for the amount of sales he had that year. On the box it said 50th Anniversary.

Chevrolet Motor Company was founded on November 3, 1911, by Louis Chevrolet, William C. Durant, William Little, and Edwin R. Campbell, in Flint MI.  In 1912, R. S. McLaughlin from Canada (CEO of General Motors Canada)  joined the company.  Durant had joined up with William Little, owner of the Flint Wagon Works in 1910, and brought Louis Chevrolet into the company (Chevrolet was a race driver who had raced Buicks as a promotion during Durant's first stint as President of the then fledgling GM).

1961 was correctly chosen as the "Golden Anniversary" (50th) of Chevrolet.  However, the first car designed for the newly formed company was designed and built in 1912, largely engineered by Louis Chevrolet.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson
Add information

Chevrolet Motor Company was founded on November 3, 1911, by Louis Chevrolet, William C. Durant, William Little, and Edwin R. Campbell, in Flint MI.  In 1912, R. S. McLaughlin from Canada (CEO of General Motors Canada)  joined the company.  Durant had joined up with William Little, owner of the Flint Wagon Works in 1910, and brought Louis Chevrolet into the company (Chevrolet was a race driver who had raced Buicks as a promotion during Durant's first stint as President of the then fledgling GM).

1961 was correctly chosen as the "Golden Anniversary" (50th) of Chevrolet.  However, the first car designed for the newly formed company was designed and built in 1912, largely engineered by Louis Chevrolet.

Art

All Art presented here is Fact . The Kit (both the Original and Resin) represent the Prototype of 1911 . The Barrel Honeycomb Radiator was too expensive to make and did not offer any advantage over the contemporary flat radiators . Sans the  Roof and Windshield both is correct also . Thanx ..

From Wikipedia:

However the first actual production wasn't until the 1913 model. So in essence there were no 1911 or 1912 production models, only the 1 pre-production model was made and fine tuned throughout the early part of 1912. Then in the fall of that year (1912) the new (and first production) 1913 model was introduced at the New York auto show.

So while Chevrolet the company was indeed founded in 1911 and would be the baseline year for any anniversary of the company, the first actual auto branded a "Chevrolet" for sale to the public was the 1913 model, designed (and production beginning) in 1912.

• 6 years later...
10 hours ago, Casey said:

So, is it now available from Missing Link? Seems like it is? 🤷‍♂️

I don't believe he still has these , I would ask Kevin . You start with a no . The worst case scenario is no  . In the fall of 1962 my Father and I went to a Chevy Dealer to acquire a needed 1954 Bel Air part . He did call for the availability of the part .  As they claimed to have one , we made the Trek . I had cash at Home , not in my Pocket . At the Counter was one of these kits . I wanted to have it . He agreed I would pay him back upon our arrival at home .  The plan was to buy both items . Weeel the part was not in Stock . My Father got pissed we rapidly vacated the premises . No 1911 Chevy for me until Missing Link a few years back . .Thanx

Edited by dimaxion