Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tubing sizes for 1/8 scale pro type frame ?

I am sure this has been answered numerous times here but I am unable to find the posts.

I am beginning a 1/8 scale '85 Corvette.

I will be testing my skills to new limits as I have always just built straight out the box.

This time, I want to try scratch building a frame. Will do some serious body mods and hopefully a great paint job.

What sizes plastics tubing or rod should i use for the frame?

I am trying to decide a paint scheme like the old Corvette GTP or Don Gays Rainbow Firebird.

The car will be a drag type car.

David

Thanks for the replies.

Actually,it will be more of a drag inspired street/show car. Supercharger etc.

I built the old Lindburg 1/8 Exterminator Front engine dragster as a single engine dragster. So, I have the leftover motor and parts, I think it even has a front mount type supercharger.

I really like the Corvette kit rear suspension so I plan to use it and most likely the front also.

Probably a mostly stock looking interior with a right had drive if I can get it right.

I have almost three complete old kits to work with.

I played with some 3/16 tubing and rods, but it looks a bit small to me.

I plan to use styrene, not brass or aluminum tubing.

My Christmas present will be a shopping spree at "HOBBYTOWNE" in Baton Rouge, La. they have a fair supply of Evergreen stuff. I may have to order what I need afterwards. i am working on a list...LOL.

I hope to fabricate a '63 split window type roof line, widen the fenders, add spoilers, etc. several paint schemes bouncing around in my head.

This will be my most abitious build yet and will take a long time I am sure.

Thanks for the help. I will be taking pics for those interested, but, that may be a while. I am spending an awful lot of time of my 1/16 Tommy Ivo FED

I plan to try to paint the oragne panels panels and pinstripe instead of using the Slixx decals I have. But, I may have to use them if my plan fails.

Thanks all.

Thanks for the replies.

Actually,it will be more of a drag inspired street/show car. Supercharger etc.

I built the old Lindburg 1/8 Exterminator Front engine dragster as a single engine dragster. So, I have the leftover motor and parts, I think it even has a front mount type supercharger.

I really like the Corvette kit rear suspension so I plan to use it and most likely the front also.

Probably a mostly stock looking interior with a right had drive if I can get it right.

I have almost three complete old kits to work with.

I played with some 3/16 tubing and rods, but it looks a bit small to me.

I plan to use styrene, not brass or aluminum tubing.

My Christmas present will be a shopping spree at "HOBBYTOWNE" in Baton Rouge, La. they have a fair supply of Evergreen stuff. I may have to order what I need afterwards. i am working on a list...LOL.

I hope to fabricate a '63 split window type roof line, widen the fenders, add spoilers, etc. several paint schemes bouncing around in my head.

This will be my most abitious build yet and will take a long time I am sure.

Thanks for the help. I will be taking pics for those interested, but, that may be a while. I am spending an awful lot of time of my 1/16 Tommy Ivo FED

I plan to try to paint the oragne panels panels and pinstripe instead of using the Slixx decals I have. But, I may have to use them if my plan fails.

Thanks all.

For 1/8 scale, I WOULD DEFINITELY use brass tubing, for its stiffness--styrene, for such a large model will be awfully flexible, and the glue joints won't be all that sturdy as well, due to both size, and the sheer weight of the model. Just my .02 cents worth.

Art

OK. Thanks for the advice....If I go with brass, what size? Someone else mentioned 3/16".

Would Aluminum be just as good?

In the pics, it looks like you solder this. Same as wire..heat the wire until the solder melts when it touches the wire? Or, melt the solder straight onto the tubing? Electric gun or some sort or device that uses fire?

Is there a "How To" here in this forum?

Man, Thanks for all the help.

David

styrene, for such a large model will be awfully flexible, and the glue joints won't be all that sturdy as well, due to both size, and the sheer weight of the model.

I beg to differ Art. All the below are 1/8 scale and styreen framed.

Some with resin engines and bodies. They have held up well.

There are other large scale builds posted on MCM with complete styrene frames also.

http://public.fotki....-vette-flopper/

http://public.fotki....emodels/anglia/

http://public.fotki....emodels/bantam/

http://public.fotki....s/little-mouse/

http://public.fotki....ls/moon-runner/

al is right. i have seen plenty of cars built with styrene. i don't personally build mine from styrene but, it doesn't mean you can't. a lot of how you build will be determined by how accurately to 1:1, you wish to build. many dragster frames step down their tubing size past the point where the mid plate is. this can't be easily accomplished in styrene. so like i said it all depends on what level you wish to build to.

I also have quite a few styrene-framed 1/8 models. Working with styrene is a lot easier than trying to cut and solder brass.

If you have the skill to work in brass, that's great, but there's no problem using styrene as your material. True, it doesn't have the strength that a soldered brass frame would have... but then again, we're talking about static models built for display, not RC cars or anything like that where frame strength would be an issue.