Model Cars Magazine Forum

How did they do it?

All very impressive. I'd say the builders all seem to be imaginative. I think it also takes some courage to make such modifications. I know, from experience, it can be disheartening to spend a huge amount of time trying to scratch-build something only to have it not turn out well. I believe practice is the only way to get good at scratch-building though.

Bryan

They are all nice but I have seen just as nice on here. It takes a lot of time and patience to do that kind of work and anyone can do it if you put your mind to it. It is a learning experience for everyone. But, the more you do it, the better you get.

I didn't get to look at many of them because I'm very short on time right now, and really the only one I had to look at was the 98 Classic XL, and the first thing that caught my quickly glancing eye was the Italeri grille. I'd say with that one at least, it's mostly based off the Italeri FLC kit and heavily modified into the Classic XL, which I noticed also is the 86 inch bunk version. I can't wait until I have more time to check out the rest tonight! :D

Oh for sure, we have definatly seen just as impressive kits built here, but it just seems to be the amount of scratch building that was done, like the Freightliner argosy for example, where the heck do you start with that especially with all of the curvature involved with it.

... the Freightliner argosy for example, where the heck do you start with that especially with all of the curvature involved with it.

I not exactly sure but... I have an idea... Look at some of Kennb's stuff in the 'On the Workbench' section. he seems to scratchbuild everything, including wheels,tires frames, etc... out of .040 styrene. His Hudson Italia thread should shed some light on how to fab a curvy body out of sheet. And, he makes it look easy... :huh::blink:

Skulls, thanks for the link, Buddy! I love having new sites and new eyecandy to drool over... This is pretty inspiring, I think I'm gonna have find out how good I am at building with a bum right hand... <_<:)