Model Cars Magazine Forum

gluebomb help

Ok I just recently got a swap meet special set of kits for $1 a piece the first is revell mustang lowrider convertible it's all there except for a couple of pieces for the rims.

IMG_20111202_113246.jpg

IMG_20111202_113132.jpg

the next one is the one I need help with and the reason for this thread it's revell's '69 shelby mustang 2 'n 1 and as you can see from the following pics it has been glued together and there are a lot of pieces missing so I thought it would be a good project to try and do a post apocalyptic build with especialy since the entire front grill assembly is missing.

IMG_20111202_113453.jpg

IMG_20111202_113503.jpg

1322854514915.jpg

But what I want to know is how to get this thing unglued I know there is away to do it because I've heard of it being done But I don't know how so please help me get this one unglued so I can start reconstruction of it the way I want it. Thanks everybody

Someone once mentioned putting mineral spirits in the glued area. I haven't tried this, so I can't speak for its effectiveness. You also might try dunking the entire model in water, put the model in a plastic baggie, and then freezing it. Essentially, ice expands which might break apart the glue joints.

Hope this helps!

dunking in water and freezing it works for me? some times you have to drill small holes for water to get in to help it pop apart - youll still have to do some prying though? it wont just fall apart - and some carefull cuting may be required allso.

Best case scenario is if it was built with non-toxic glue (you'll notice a citrus smell if so) and/or the glue joints were not cleaned of plating or paint before assembly. The latter likely won't be the case as yours appear to have never been painted, but it still might work for the plated parts.

Freezing works well, sometimes sliding a sharp #11 blade along the glue joint will also help to free the pieces.

Edited by Chuck Most

well thank you everybody I tried freezing it and I just pulled it out and started working with it and the freezing does work and here are my results so far.

IMAG0177.jpg

a little more work and this one will be ready for a rebuild. Thanks again everybody. The help I can get here as well as the inspiration or as dr. cranky calls it eye candy keeps me here. I'll Post build pictures as soon as I get started on the rebuild.