Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 White-Frieghtliner COE....break from my normal builds..

This is my "time filler" build I am working on while my two current rod builds a drying and curing. Its a 1973 (Best I can come up with) White-Freightliner COE. Its being built as an outlaw style custom. The wheelbase has been stretched to 265". Its factory visor has been modded to drop lower. The "catwalk" is wrapped from the cab mounts to the fifthwheel plate and also behind the fifthwheel. It will be getting an old school striped paint job and full fenders on the rear. I have 8" straight pipes, lowered suspension, airline box, horns relocated and an aluminum bumper in the plan. I am going to retain the old style wheels but with some Italeri rubber Michelins. Also, I am using Italeri high back air ride seats but with lowered bases. I am not gonna even try to have the detail of alot of the truck builds on here. You guys are just too much. I just wanted to throw a custom together. The name on the truck is going to be "Road Doctor" as that was my Grandfather's (roun here thats PAPAW's) CB handle and what he was known for up and down I-75 for 40+ years. Thanks for looking, BHIMG_20111128_215713.jpgIMG_20111128_215719.jpgIMG_20111201_175141.jpgIMG_20111201_175152.jpg

Here are some progress shots from this week. I have smoothed out the Catwalk cover, mounted tanks, Stack racks are on , and all suspension is lowered and set in place.

IMG_20111208_174110.jpgIMG_20111208_174030.jpgIMG_20111208_174019.jpg

Also, I realize the stacks are sitting on the tanks, this is just for mockup purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

Been away from this project a couple of weeks while I was at the National Fire Academy. Here is some progress I made before leaving and since I got home Thursday. Frame, tanks and suspension have been painted. Fenders are mocked up and will get paint this week. Stacks are cut and polished and just resting there for a mockup until I get some elbows made. Hope to get paint on the cab this week. Happy Holidays!

IMG_20111223_213407.jpgIMG_20111223_213341.jpgIMG_20111223_213456.jpg

Awesome build , this will be one fancy freight shaker !!!! Pawpaw will be proud I'm sure

Thanks Sevens! I want it to look custom but believeable like you mught get passed by it on I-75 or see it at a Petro. Was going to hook it to a Refer but I have since gathered styrene and items needed to scratch build a 53' Featherlite (Nascar Style) Car hauler to look like a trailer a Rod Shop might display at a 1:1 shows vendor area. It will have room for about three show cars and some parts with a lounge in the nose and the characteristic "lift gate" to place cars upstairs.

Thanks Sevens! I want it to look custom but believeable like you mught get passed by it on I-75 or see it at a Petro. Was going to hook it to a Refer but I have since gathered styrene and items needed to scratch build a 53' Featherlite (Nascar Style) Car hauler to look like a trailer a Rod Shop might display at a 1:1 shows vendor area. It will have room for about three show cars and some parts with a lounge in the nose and the characteristic "lift gate" to place cars upstairs.

Your custom Freight is coming along pretty nicely! Are those Italeri tires on AMT rims I see there, they seem to fit together well. Do you have a paint scheme in mind for the whole rig?

About those styrene sheets, have you managed to get long and wide enough pieces to make panels 1 part for the sides and roof? Are there styrene sheets that are more than 24 inches long and 5 inches wide on the hobby market? Next time I make a trailer either from scratch or a modified kit I'd like to make it a smooth side. That's why I'm asking.

Happy holidays to you too!

Edited by Z06Bob

Your custom Freight is coming along pretty nicely! Are those Italeri tires on AMT rims I see there, they seem to fit together well. Do you have a paint scheme in mind for the whole rig?

About those styrene sheets, have you managed to get long and wide enough pieces to make panels 1 part for the sides and roof? Are there styrene sheets that are more than 24 inches long and 5 inches wide on the hobby market? Next time I make a trailer either from scratch or a modified kit I'd like to make it a smooth side. That's why I'm asking.

Happy holidays to you too!

Thanks Bob. I am just going to make the sides five equal pieces and maybe block sand across the joints before paint. I am using .080 and in two layers so I can offset the joints. I have been looking at the trailers at races for a while now and some of them have smooth sides but also have overlapping pices that are hardly noticeable once the wrap is in place. I will be happy enough if I have some cracks as long as they are neat and level. I do want to use Featherlite's measurements though. As far as the trucks paint scheme, I am ptobably going to do either a solid black cab and visor or orange with white vintage stripes that go onto the catwalk back to the fifth wheel and also across the full fenders.

• 4 weeks later...