Model Cars Magazine Forum

What else do you collect

I've been collecting bottle and can openers since the late '50s. I don't know how many I have anymore, last count was well over 1000. I collect old toys, mostly cars & trucks. Hot Wheels cars, flamingos, bendable people, tin cans, 1/43 & 1/42 scale model cars & trucks, metal windup submarines and a few other things.

Flamingos and "bendable people"??? :lol:

Is collecting a side effect of model car disease? I don't consider myself a collecter of model cars - I'm a builder - but I do collect things. My biggest collecting problem (is "challenge" more politically correct?) would be yo-yo's. I don't know how many I have - boxes full. I figure yo-yo's have been following me home for about 47 years now. :roll:

Hey Lordairgtar, I may have some pins for you. I will look around. Right now, the collecting bug is interested in ex-FSU(Former Soviet Union) cameras. These are Leica and Contax copies. After WWII, the soviets 'relieved' the germans of the Leica and the Contax factories along with the engineers related to them. The soviets then trucked the factories back to Russia and began producing cameras. I also collect russian watches as well. Most of these cost more to ship than to buy right now, but that is changing.

Hey Groucho, love you movies! If that is your real name then fine, but if it's a handle (and I suspect it is) then forum rules require you to put your first and last name on each post please.

Best way to do this is to put it into the signature text box found in the Profile section of this board.

Thanks!

Hey Lordairgtar, I may have some pins for you. I will look around. Right now, the collecting bug is interested in ex-FSU(Former Soviet Union) cameras. These are Leica and Contax copies. After WWII, the soviets 'relieved' the germans of the Leica and the Contax factories along with the engineers related to them. The soviets then trucked the factories back to Russia and began producing cameras. I also collect russian watches as well. Most of these cost more to ship than to buy right now, but that is changing.

Kool, Comrade Ken :D I had an East German camera (Practica) that worked about as well as a Trabant.

• 3 years later...

I collect to much stuff I guess.

Hot Wheels and other diecast, Nascar diecast and many misc Nascar items including a right front fender of Matt Kenseths car. I collect HO scale trains and accesories. Nylint large scale steel trucks. Lots of tools! I am proud of my large autograph collection including motorsports and many Rock bands. I collect Avon colonge car things :lol: Chevron cars, lighters, Bar signs, football swag, and more that I can't think of of the top of my head. Here are some pics. I have over 4000 cars this is just a taste.

DSC04760.jpg

DSC04744.jpg

DSC04762.jpg

DSC04727.jpg

goodhw.jpg

DSC04041.jpg

raceroomcorner.jpg

DSC06513.jpg

DSC06520.jpg

I used to collect baseball cards, have no idea how many I have. Now I am more into tools and cars any scale mainly mustangs and getting into old muscle cars(hotwheels) I want to eventually have a diorama of a car show all muscle cars. My second hobby(collection) is anything mobile audio.

I guess this just goes to prove old threads never die, they just have to wait for members to take the time to get back to them! :lol:

I have to ask Brian, what is all over the Dale Sr car in the front row, or is it a raced version?

DSC04760.jpg

I also collect diecast, mostly NASCAR, and most of the NASCARs are Dale Sr. cars. Here are some of my pieces from notable points in his career that I have set up on the top of the entertainment center in the living room.

HPIM0787.jpg

These are some of the Daytona 500 win pieces.

HPIM1803.jpg

HPIM1804.jpg

The 1/64 scale car on the display base is sitting on an actual piece of the Daytona racing surface.

This statue is for his 7th Winston Cup, and the car is the "raced" (weathered) version of the car from the day he won the 7th cup.

HPIM1800.jpg

HPIM1801.jpg

More to come!

Well... once a month...on the 1st to be exact.. and ALWAYS on the 1st...I collect a retirement check! :blink: Trouble is...even though I collect them, I never have the previous one by the time the new one is collected! :lol:

As for tangibles I guess you could call me a tool collector. I admit it...I am another Tim the Toolman! I love tools! My garage is full of automotive tools.....a 10K lb car lift, a motorcycle lift, a big toolbox and a smaller rollabout toolbox filled with hand tools, 4 Sata spray guns, a giant air compressor, a stick welder, a Lincoln 255 digital mig welder, a parts washer, a 20 ton press, a drill press, a sandblast cabinet, an array of air tools and oh hell...it goes on and on. The woodshop is just as full of woodworking tools. The model shop is full of tools and the DJ system is nothing more than a collection of electronic stuff that is a tool in and of itself! Heck, even my F250 is a tool, especially when the plow is attached! I've often thought that my life would literally be over if I ever lost my ability to use my tools...i.e. loss of sight or hands!

One of my favorites, commemorating the famous "Pass In The Grass" in the 1987 "The Winston" race.

HPIM2205.jpg

HPIM2198.jpg

I even get different versions of the same cars, these are both a fantasy Impala made for the 10th anniversary of Dale Sr.'s Daytona win, the one on the left is the regular paint scheme and the one on the right is in a special Black Chrome paint.

HPIM1809.jpg

I've also tried to get some of the special one off paint schemes, and this Peter Maxx raced in one of the all star races has to be one of the favorites.

HPIM2313.jpg

Like I said, most are Dale Sr. cars, he will always be my favorite driver, but I got in a kick of buying Dale Jr. cars after he joined Hendrick Motorsports a couple years back. I bought almost every car QVC offered in the first year Jr. was at Hendrick.

HPIM1796.jpg

HPIM1797.jpg

HPIM1798.jpg

This is one of very few non Earnhardt related cars in the collection, an autographed Tony Stewart car.

HPIM1813.jpg

Other than that, I also collect trains and Hot Wheels, and I also have a few of the annual Coca Cola trucks that are usually out this time of year. My fiancee has quite the John Deere collection thanks to me, too. It was a nice way to break a $250 trip to the hobby shop to her as I handed a few little green tractors to her with the receipt! :lol:

Man, I need to get my wife to look at this thread. She thinks I am crazy because I have a collection of built and unbuilt (maybe will get built....if the good Lord keeps me around long enough)model kits, model and hot rod and sports car magazines....about 20 years of Gourmet Magazine....anyone interested in them?????? and a small collection of once used golf clubs.....I have nothing compared to most of you guys. :blink:

You make me feel sadly inadequate. This calls my manhood into question!!! My God, the next thing you know, I will stop and ask someone for directions. Oh the horrors of it all!! :lol:

Well, I'm a model railroader too, so I have my train stuff in HO and Lionel.

My dad and I collect antique technical books, many of which still have very useful things in them; some just make interesting reading. Actually, we both collect books and magazines in general. My other book areas concentrate on architecture, mysteries, history, cookbooks and transportation-related subjects.

I'm active in the Masons and collect various Masonic books and odds and ends like lapel pins.

I collect car brochures and sales materials.

I have s small coin and stamp collection.

I also collect cameras, with a preference to 35mm SLRs and good box cameras. And I'm proud to say that aside from a "web-cam," I don't own a digital camera. I do borrow my dad's little Fuji periodically, though, if I want a quick Internet picture.

I also have started to build a small collection of antique office equipment, finding much of it is more reliable than their electronic replacements. In the businesses and work I've been engaged in off and on, reliability is more important than advanced technology.

Charlie Larkin

I collect Hot Wheels muscle cars, and race them on my scale(1/64) 1/8 mile drag strip. I made the dragstrip itself from long shingle strips, and scratchbuilt an Xmas tree, and a finish line scoreboard(Or whatever you want to call it). I do bracket racing, to keep it fair.

I know, I'm 12 years old and still play with Hot Wheels. But it's a good pastime! But not to brag, I think I have the most accurate 1/8 scale mile Hot Wheels drag strip in the world :)

I'm with Droid, except that I'm a little over twelve. I'm still buying HotWheels. There must be around 7 or 8 thousand in the house by now. That was a logical progression after starting with matchbox about 1962. I've been apt to pick up anything that could be related to transportation over the years. There is a huge collection of car mags back to the little pages and a smattering of real art.