Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 GMC step side/ 72 Chevy short bed updates (02/04/12)

love them both...just to kewl to pass this thread up!

im working on the 72 p/u rides edition myself...going to be a shortbed (which i have the ref to ..so you dont destroy the funky curve in the bedside and all the measurments) just need to get some projects out of the way! -_-

this is what i am going for myself!

72chevyc10exteriorandwheels.jpg

Every time I see a nice old '72 Chevy truck I wanna give my self a good strong kick for not buying my father-in-laws '72 Chevy! He had a nice one that he bought new and only had 58,000 miles on it when he sold it. It had a fairly new paint job on it at the time. He wanted $2500 for it and I only had $1700 spare cash and didn't want to go borrow the rest from the bank. Needless to say,it sold within hours of him putting a "for sale" sign on it. :(

Bandit Resins is reworking their mold for their short bed fleetside and hopefully will have it available soon. I was lucky to have bought one at a show earlier this year and need to get building!

I like the two trucks Tyrone and am waiting to see how finish these as I have always been impressed with your work.

Sean- you aren't the only one who wants that truck, it has been on Christmas list for 21 years and my wife still hasn't bought it for me.......maybe this is the year!

I really like where your going with this. On the third set of pics though, you changed the valve covers. They are on upside down. Chevy big-block valve covers are always four bolts down, three up.

045.jpg

Thanks gus for all the comments and interest in these two builds, I plan on making some good progress and put up some more pics tonight and this weekend, does anyone have any pics of the cab of one of these I'm curious about how to paint them mainly the dash area, etc.

Jantrix, this is the small block engine that you have in the pic, these came with the kit and the plating was horrible several spots were not even plated, so I put them on to hide the bad spots, but I found some in the parts box to replace them...the fleetside will have a big block engine...

thanks again fellas...

Edited by tyrone

The engine in the '72 GMC is "supposed" to be a big block. The manifolds and valve covers (although they are on the small side) are definitely for big blocks. The engine looks to be too small for a big block in my eyes. Now,here's where the confusion comes in. On my original issue '72,it clearly calls the engine a big block. On the reissue, it's clearly referred to as a 350 small block. I think it's a small block with big block valve covers and manifolds. :P If I'm not mistaken,isn't the same block,heads and transmission in the '72 Chevy fleetside?

The engine in the '72 GMC is "supposed" to be a big block. The manifolds and valve covers (although they are on the small side) are definitely for big blocks. The engine looks to be too small for a big block in my eyes. Now,here's where the confusion comes in. On my original issue '72,it clearly calls the engine a big block. On the reissue, it's clearly referred to as a 350 small block. I think it's a small block with big block valve covers and manifolds. :P If I'm not mistaken,isn't the same block,heads and transmission in the '72 Chevy fleetside?

Hey Roger, you know I never thought of it that way, I thought the engine was a small block, but the valve covers had 4 bolts on the bottom and 3 on top like a big block but I thought they looked kind of small for big block valve covers, I also did'nt know the 72 GMC was a big block only truck... I going to check it out when I get home, but my plan was to use some other small block valve covers, if it is a small block engine.... thanks Roger for your help...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks gus for all the comments and interest in these two builds, I plan on making some good progress and put up some more pics tonight and this weekend, does anyone have any pics of the cab of one of these I'm curious about how to paint them mainly the dash area, etc.

Here ya go. This one is in the exact same color combination as the '72 Cheyenne short wide I sold about 3 years ago. :(

dash1.jpg

dash.jpg

int.1.jpg

thanks fellas, Nathan those m/t tires come on the chevy dually 3500 street machine snap kit from amt, I found one on ebay their always on there...

thanks Todd and Al, I changed those valve covers and used some chrome b/b ones in the parts box, does anybody have any pictures of the cab interior on these trucks, I want to do some painting this weekend, and I want to get some ideas of what's what... more updates later tonight.

thanks fellas, I did manage to get a little done on these tonight, I got both distributors, and wires done, I sanded the molded wires off in the engine area also, I've been sanding on the bodys. cleaning up mold lines, and I also cleaned up the lines around to doors with the back side of a hobby knife blade to deepen them just a bit, does anybody have a pic of the engine bay?? I'm trying to find some more accurate brake master cylinders and brake boosters i the parts box, thanks for looking and comments welcome...

here's the fleetside first..

017.jpg

018.jpg

I'm debating on whether to detail the bed area w/resin fuel cell and nos bottle, or use a bed cover..

019.jpg

022.jpg

021.jpg