Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 GMC step side/ 72 Chevy short bed updates (02/04/12)

That little fleetside Chevy is looking wicked Tyrone! The valve covers on the GMC are a big improvement. I need to put better valve covers on my GMC. I would think the master cylinder from a '69 or '70 1/2 Camarp would work. One suggestion I'll make for both trucks is to cut the tabs off of the interior on the front where they go through the firewall and fill in those holes. It makes the firewall look a lot better.

Edited by plowboy

That's looks good Roger, I like that color, I'm thinking about green and white two tone, or gold and white on the fleetside, I have some paint left over from my nova, and impala.. any more pics of yours??

Edited by tyrone

Both trucks are looking good! Detail both beds!!!!

Just a suggestion as I was just looking over my Stepside I built years ago, I wish I would have mini tubbed the bed so the wheel/tire combo would sit inside the fender instead of sticking out. That would make your wheel/tire combo really stand out! just my 2 cents

If i hadn't done such a decent job on mine when I was a kid I would strip her down and do a full resto and minin tub her.

As far as a master cylinder, I used one from the Monogram S-10 kit. Lil newer than the truck but as in real life its a upgraded part! ;)

I think this is the best Chevrolet/GMC trucks ever built! My Dad had 2 of them, each one ran way over 200,000 miles. Your models are neat as well. I would like to build the really rare longbed Fenderside/Stepside some time. and hey, it's your truck model, you can build it any way you want to! :D

I went the other way with mine and widened the rear fenders a bit. I think the kit fenders are a bit on the narrow side of "stock" [same with the AMT '53 Ford pickup] Those are the BIG 19 inch Pegasus Michlin Pilots stuffed under those back fenders with no tubs.

BTW, the inner fenders on those kits is way wrong. They're right for a '60 to '66 pickup but they went with a more conventional rounded inner fender from '67 up. [i should have changed this on mine but,,]

like these

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=92

here's the stepside,,,

024.jpg

Echoing what Steve said about the rear fenders, take a look at this photo. You'll see that the rear fender is not flush with the sides of the cab. The fenders might benefit from a little widening. I plan on doing this with my 69-72 Stepside, if I ever get around to it.

BTW thanks for posting up your 69 again, Steve. I love that thing!

Love these trucks! I have been trying to locate a Chevy kit to replicate my 1:1 '70 shortbed phantom SS454, with no luck! I've been e-mailing Bandit Resins, Ken said the mold for the bed floor is toast, so I'll have to section mine as well. By the way, the "extra" bed length on the back lends it an altered wheel base look that I personally think rocks!! I did that on a 1:1 '62 Ford about 3 yrs ago & liked it so much, I left it that way!

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking for something for another build I'm working on and found some wheels that cam with the 65 sterpside kit and I got to thinking, and this is what I came up with, cause I kind of like the sleeper look that it has tell me what you think, yes or no...

026-1.jpg

027-2.jpg

028-2.jpg

029-1.jpg

031-1.jpg

The small back window was a '67 only thing and IIRC, only on base model trucks ,, but most of them had the regular size window.

Why do you say it's a '67 cab Sean? I never knew there was any noticible differences in the cabs.

that cab has a 67 front grill on it...67 is more pointed like an arrow while 69 on is more flat....67-8 has the gas tank behind the seat...ie gas filler cap goes on the side of the cab....67 only small back window...while lata on was full window....ill see if i can get everything for ya....

edit....never mind me trying to find it....JUST ORDER A LMC TRUCK CATALOG FROM WWW.LMCTRUCK.COM

that should tell you all the differences b/w all the years !

Edited by bandit1

I missed this so far somehow! I will follow this with interest as I just got a cowl hood & '69 grille from Kenny @ Bandit. This is exciting to watch a more talented builder do something I aspire to do. Great looking trucks so far! Keep up the good work!

that cab has a 67 front grill on it...67 is more pointed like an arrow while 69 on is more flat....67-8 has the gas tank behind the seat...ie gas filler cap goes on the side of the cab....67 only small back window...while lata on was full window....ill see if i can get everything for ya....

edit....never mind me trying to find it....JUST ORDER A LMC TRUCK CATALOG FROM WWW.LMCTRUCK.COM

that should tell you all the differences b/w all the years !

You might want to look at your LMC catalog again. This kit is clearly a '72. There's no way of confusing the '71-'72s with the '67-'68s. All of the '68 -'72s had the gas tank behind the seat. '67 Chevies came with both the big and small rear window. Like Steve,I think the small window was a base package truck.

As for the wheel choice,I like the first set of wheels best. They suit the pro street look better IMO. I think you should use whichever wheels you like best Tyrone. It will still be a sharp little truck. I had painted steel wheels on my '72 GMC and later decided that I didn't care for the look,so, I switched them out for the Torque Thrusts. Here's a photo of it with the steel wheels. As you can see, it doesn't look nearly as good as it does with the Torque Thrust wheels.

DSCF2038.jpg

DSC043892_small1.jpgbudsdisc167.jpgHPIM02392.jpg67 was small back window only,first half of the model year. The big window was an option for 68 and up. You could get the small window in later trucks than 68. 71-72 is big window only. I've built a few of these trucks 1:1. Everybody thinks the small back window is some rare 67 only thing. The rest of the cab is identical. The front clips are different. 67 and 68 use the same grille bars,fenders, and hood with different trim and bezels. 69 and 70 look a lot alike, 71 and 72 look alike. Just little differences in grille spacings, parking lights, headlight bezels, and ornamental bars(stainless strips). Your pro street truck project has a 69-70 grille, with the large eggcrate pattern. Cool project, whatever year it is!! Edited by ItsThePaint!