Model Cars Magazine Forum

'54 Chevy Sedan Delivery

Greg Pugh

• 2 weeks later...

Got the resin pieces back a few weeks ago but have been busy and today was my first chance to play around with them. First I had to continue to clean up the fenders. Not because of the resin castings but because they were cast from the diecast pieces that needed cleaning up to begin with. As suspected, it was MUCH easier to clean up the resin pieces than it ever would've been cleaning up the diecast pieces. Once that was done, I was ready to install the fenders. I glued styrene sheet to the inside of the body to add strength to the fender-to-body joint. There was a bit of time spent making sure everything lined up but overall...it went pretty smooth. There's a lot of body work to do now BUT...it's starting to look like a car again!

54del 022.JPG

54del 023.JPG

54del 024.JPG

54del 025.JPG

In other news...it looks like I've got a lot more work to do. I've spent the last two days researching, looking this thing over, and scratching my head. I believe that the rear of the car is too short behind the rear wheel well and also right in front of the rear wheel well. I'm going to be going on vacation with the family for a week and a half and when I get back, I'll get down to brass tacks and see what's going on. Most likely though, it looks like more surgery...:(

• 2 weeks later...

I remembered this thread but couldn't find it until now. This is truly an inspiring project Greg. I'm building one right now but aint no where near this radical. Could you tell me which die cast you used for the parts?

I think it was a Franklin Mint car. I got it off of eBay. It was a red convertible.

..... the more I looked at it, something else was wrong. ........

I hate it when that happens. Years back, after converting one small diecast truck into quite a nice model with minimal fiddling of a few areas of it, I was going to embark on a different die cast conversion of a cabover Aerodyne Kenworth. Except for the longest time I knew there was something wrong with the proportions of the cab, but I couldn't place where it was at. Finally after many measurements, I figured out it was the distance between the headlights and the grille, and the too-small distance extended from that area all the way up over the roof's multi-angled edges. No way to fix that design problem without major roof surgery, so I abandoned it.

Nice to see your stick-to-itivness here!

• 3 months later...

Well, so much for getting right back on this! Lol! I've had it in my hands and in front of me probably a hundred times since my last update. I was concerned that proportionately, it wasn't jiving. But, the more I look at it, the more I think maybe I'm just going crazy. I've asked several people for their opinions and collectively, it seems like everything is just fine. So with that behind me, I'm feeling a bit more motivated on this.

I ended up having to quarter the hood. I needed to use the rear section of the Olds hood and the front section of the resin piece that was cast from the diecast car. Then, I had to cut each one of those halves in two as they both were too wide. Anyways, everything is glued and roughed in but that's about all. Just like the body, I've got a lot of body work yet to do. I'm just glad to have it starting to look like something again.

54del 026

Glad to see you back on this, I can't speak on the proportions of the car, but I know what I like, I really like the way it looks now.

I'm right there with you on that one Bill. When I started mine I had no idea this thread existed and in reading it I see more flaws than I would have known about. I'm definitely looking forward to more progress on this one. My progress is stalled for the time being as my wife is now waking up at around 1-2 am due to a new phase of her recovery from the ruptured brain aneurism a couple of months ago. Its all a priority thing and as soon as this phase of her recovery looks like it's over I should be back on it.