Model Cars Magazine Forum

Personally, I hate the look of it, AND the fact it's got a small engine... <_<

Chrysler has needed a competitive, sub-compact car for many years, and this one looks like it will finally be what Chrysler needs. No funky styling, no cheap, hard plastic interior (Caliber), and three engine options certainly help its cause, and it's based on a proven Alfa platform. Looks good to me.

That's looking awfull, and engine needs 4 cylinders more! :angry::lol: Personally, I don't like it at all, why it's Dodge Dart, it doesn't look like Dart AT ALL. I understand Camaro or Challenger, and Mustang, because they look- even a bit of those original car models, but not this one.

Don't take this too hard-I just hate new cars, exept Camaro, Challenger and Mustang. :rolleyes:

if Dodge were to go "retro" with the Dart i think it would be a very bad move on thier part. there is more than enough of that already, no real need for more IMO.

I agree fully, but same with the SRT'S, they never knocked on the door of 50 mpg's either. Thats really what we need right now to stay in the market I think. But I like the looks of the car, name or not.

Question is, will they make a kit out of it??? :unsure:

I hope so! Which means it's got a snowball's chance of happening <_<

if Dodge were to go "retro" with the Dart i think it would be a very bad move on thier part. there is more than enough of that already, no real need for more IMO.

Gotta agree here, they really need real replacement for the Neon than a niche car that would rob sales from the Charger and Challenger.

What's all this talk about being 4 cylinders short, I've always associated the dart with the slant 6.

I'm going to be in the market for a high MPG commuter car soon, if they offer the diesel in this I would take a look. 140 hp in a compact car isn't bad and 62 mpg leaves the hybrids way behind.

personally i despise the current trend in retro because, in my view, if the original design worked, why change it? and the exaggerated wedge styling of... well, EVERYTHING these days just reminds me that Triumph once had a wedge car....

then again, i'm a convinced dyed in the wool Luddite for the most part. computers notwithstanding....

All history aside, Dart seems an appropriate name for a fast, small, agile car. Seems like an appropriate moniker to me. And remember probably 3/4's of the buying public don't remember the orignal Dodge Dart so trying to go retro on this small car would probably bust.

All history aside, Dart seems an appropriate name for a fast, small, agile car. Seems like an appropriate moniker to me. And remember probably 3/4's of the buying public don't remember the orignal Dodge Dart so trying to go retro on this small car would probably bust.

And the Dart name fits well w/ Avenger, Charger, Nitro... as far other names they could have reused, Neon has probably a less than great image but better than past compact turds like Aspen or Aries...

Actually, if placed on the right vehicle, the Aries name would fit right in with all of those. Remember, not only was that the name of one of the cars that helped save Chrysler the last time around, but it's also the name of the Greek God of War ;):D

Edited by Joe Handley

This is from a slightly confused and inaccurate article at allpar.com from a few days ago, but it appears to be the same car.

2013-dodge-hornet.jpg

I like it and if it's upsized for the US market, I might actually fit in it too!

I've also read that a sub compact hatchback model (to compete w/ models like the Fiesta, Fit, Sonic, Accent, Rio, etc) is likely coming in another year or so...

They need that too, wonder if it will be a reworked MiTo or 500 then........

Edited by Joe Handley

Personally, I hate the look of it, AND the fact it's got a small engine... <_<

Small car, small engine- that part make sense to me.

I do agree with you on the looks though. I'd rather they just import the Alfa. The Alfa's styling doesn't make me taste puke in the back of my mouth like the Dart. Anybody else long for the days when Chrysler's kids could actually make a decent looking car?

SIgh...IDK what I think about it,LOL! My first thought was "It's fugly,it's gunna be slow...",but I look outside in the eves when the Wife is home and remember fondly all the miles and years served by her '00 Neon ES and think "Hey,you know what?",but then I look parked behind the house in the other driveway and I see my avatar parked....

SRT would be a killer option if done right...I'd be more apt to be willing to trade my Stang in on a Neon SRT 4 than I would a Challenger RT (and I'm NOT a tuner lover-guy),and if they did this one up right...nah! But eventually her Neon will wear out and we'll be looking to trade it up :)

Edited by Olskoolrodder

Actually, if placed on the right vehicle, the Aries name would fit right in with all of those. Remember, not only was that the name of one of the cars that helped save Chrysler the last time around, but it's also the name of the Greek God of War ;):D

I can't resist (no offense). But Aries is the sign of the ram and Ares (no "i") is the god of war. Isn't this forum educational? :)

Learning the difference has made me far more effective at crossword puzzles.

Edited by sjordan2

I like it and if it's upsized for the US market, I might actually fit in it too!

According to what I've read, the body is a few inches wider than the Alfa to accomodate typical super-sized Americans.

They need that too, wonder if it will be a reworked MiTo or 500 then........

Probably the MiTo...a 5dr hatch, most likely.

I can't resist (no offense). But Aries is the sign of the ram and Ares (no "i") is the god of war. Isn't this forum educational? :)

Learning the difference has made me far more effective at crossword puzzles.

Right you are, but it might not fit as well now- the Dodge logo is no longer a Ram. Ram trucks still have the Ram logo (obviously), but they're not technically Dodge products anymore.