Model Cars Magazine Forum

But it does not look like it did in 63-67, so its not Dart

The '67 Dart doesn't look like the '63 through '66s. The '67 Dart shares it's body/look with the '68 through '76 Darts. So why should the '67 be considered a Dart. But, not the '68 through '76? By that way of thinking, shouldn't the only true Darts be the '60, '61, and '62s? After all they were the first Darts.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Try finding a car that fits 6'7"... ;)

Harry, I've driven the big gun boat Chryslers and still had to have the seat full rear, and leaning back. Not this one. This Challenger is the first car I've ever driven where I had to move the seat forward from rear lock, and theres enough headroom to wear a fedora. Never been able to do that in any other car.

I can't believe you have so much room in that Challenger darquewanderer, my Sister's '14 R/T Classic has less room overall than my smaller Chrysler 200 has and when I sat in a sunroof equipped Dart at this year's autoshow, it had about the same room as her Challenger!

Edited by Joe Handley

So are the '58s the only "true" Impala?

Naw, Impala is still okay. It still represents Chevy's big car. Caprice may have topped it trim wise. But, Impala general mission has always stayed pretty much the same. Full size family car. Dart on the other hand, started as a lower priced full size Dodge aim at the Chevy, Ford, and Plymouth market. Then in '63 it successfully replaced the compact Dodge Lancer. I do want to say, I like the new Dart. And it looks like a good replacement for the '63 through '76 Dart, by today standards. It fulfills the basic mission.

Also, I like the Dart commercials with Craig Robinson and Jake Johnson, mentioned by Chuck. The "Don't touch my Dart" commercials are pretty funny.

Scott

I can't believe you have so much room in that Challenger darquewanderer, my Sister's '14 R/T Classic has less room overall than my smaller Chrysler 200 has and when I sat in a sunroof equipped Dart at this year's autoshow, it had about the same room as her Challenger!

I will never buy a car with a sun roof. Even in the biggest cars, they take away headroom.

Scott

I will never buy a car with a sun roof. Even in the biggest cars, they take away headroom.

Scott

I think the extra well padded leather seats make it even worse, I have less head room, less leg room, and it's hard for me to get in and out of that than it was for me in her '06 Charger SE, and my 200 feels huge in comparison. I did find the Charger wasn't as easy to get into as the 200 either and finally came the conclusion that even though they had the same basic roof line, the Charger's was longer, flatter, and lower than that of the 200/Sebring/Avenger........then the Challenger feels slightly chopped from there?! Edited by Joe Handley

That still doesn't make it Retro. Just another new (nothing special) car with a Old name.

What's wrong with it not being "retro". Don't get me wrong, if I had to pick a favorite Dart, it would be the '67. In fact make mine a '67 GT convertible, with the 273. But sorry to say, we have to move on. It's not 1967 anymore. For today the new Dart is okay.

Scott

I don't mind if it's not retro, although I wouldn't mind there being a retro version of the Dart (I would prefer the 64). It may be a nice little car but don't get all giggly about the Dart coming back when it is just another new little car just like all the other new little cars.

They may give it special badgeing and maybe some cool graphics but you can put a tuxedo on a turkey but it will still be a turkey, maybe a well dressed turkey but still the same as all the turkeys.

(I am not saying the new Dart is a turkey just making a point)

Chrysler has been paying copyrights on some of the old names for decades. I don't begrudge them using a cool name on a new car line. After all there are few names that aren't copyrighted, which has led to letter and number cars, and the Japanese making up words for new car names. So if the new Chrysler, a division of Fiat, wants to use old names, so be it. The fact is that the majority of new car buyers are too young to remember Chargers and Darts of old... remember that was like 30-40 years ago! In fact I'll bet there are some new Charger owners who bought them because they have nice memories of their 1980s Omni Chargers!

So the Charger and Darts of today have nothing at all to do with the cars we remember. We are the minority of cranky opinionated old men!

Nothing wrong with using a name from the past. The new Dart is a good fit for that name plate.

It does seem funny to give a name to a new car that has four doors that was never a four door it it's first go around.

Never had 4-doors the the first go around? The old Dart, in all versions, from 1960 to 1976, were available as 4-doors. I'd need to check the the figures, but I'd bet that more Dart 4-doors were sold than 2-doors.

Scott

Orginal Dodge Dart, cheap basic transportaion

New 2013 Dodge Dart, cheap basic transportaion

Seems to me the new "Dart" is closer to the old "Dart" than the new "Charger" was to the original.

Just remember, the new "Dart" is a cut up Alfa , the Dart is built on a slightly enlarged Fiat Compact Platform , it shares the same Platform that the Alfa Romeo Giulietta.

Edited by martinfan5