Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Dart is also Assembled in China and sold there as the Viaggio

The Chinese LOVE American cars... I conference call with our plant in China on a regular basis. Two of my colleagues from that site are coming to our conference in Puerto Rico in October. Ji was upset that we are going to transport everyone between venues by bus to save on all the rental cars (and folks from all kinds of places driving in San Juan!) because he was hoping that he could rent a Ford Mustang. He wants one badly but they are very expensive in China!

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 1 month later...

I keep seeing these TV commercials for the Dart starring "Darryl" from The Office. They're very clever and entertaining (and short!), but I notice they don't show you much if any of the actual car. I wouldn't know a new Dart if one ran me over in a crosswalk. :wacko:

I find the commercials silly, but I like the Darryl guy from the office so I'm okay with it. The commercials are for the general public just to give the Dart name recognition, with most of these folks never knowing that Dodge used the Dart name before. So when some young person says, "Hmmm, I need a new car." they'll think "Yea, I'll get a Dart like Darryl's!"

And these TV campaigns work. When my daughters both decided they wanted to buy new cars, both of them told me they wanted Fords. My younger wanted a Focus and the older a Fusion... I was puzzled at first, then I realized that Ford was the sponsor of American Idol. And that's where they saw them.

In the end, my younger saw the commercials for the Fiat 500 with Jaylo and wanted to be like her so she got that same white convertible. My elder did get her Fusion.

Its not a Dart. I'ma Dodge fanatic, and I HATE this car, a Alpha car, sure is, thats NOT a Dart...........And whoever said "It needs 4 more cylinders has the RIGHT idea, and a '68 or '69 look to it, then I'd say it was a "Dart". This thing surely is a wannabe!

I'm not anti-technology, but I am anti retro-technology…..

To build something similar to it's name-sake (Challenger) makes sense. To apply nameplates to late-model vehicles that are non-revelent bother me. A 4 door Charger and a 4 cylinder Dart are high on my list. And while we did have a 4 cylinder "Charger" in the 80's, it wasn't marketed as a throw-back to the original. At least the 80's version was a 2 dr.

And don't get me started on the Super Bee name badges on pick-up trucks…… :rolleyes:

Its not a Dart. I'ma Dodge fanatic, and I HATE this car, a Alpha car, sure is, thats NOT a Dart...........And whoever said "It needs 4 more cylinders has the RIGHT idea, and a '68 or '69 look to it, then I'd say it was a "Dart". This thing surely is a wannabe!

Aaaaaaand who ever said it needs 4 more cylinders is as wrong as you calling it an Alpha. People seem to keep forgeting this is 2014, not 1964 as well as their automotive history. First off.......it's ALFA, not Alpha, if you're going to call out a brand, at least spell it right. Second, the Dart wasn't a muscle car back then, it was an economy car, just like it is now. Sure you could get it with a with 2 doors and a 340 or 383, but for every one of those, there were probably 100 Slant 6 or low compression 318 4 door Darts that also came off those same lines. This is also 2014, almost '15, modern economy cars do not have V-8 power, that's been gone since the 80's and was replaced with either high power n/a 4's, boosted 4's, or shoehorned V-6's, 2 doors are all but gone too, times have changed. If you want a V-8 powered 2 door, Dodge will happily sell you a Challenger R/T, a 2 door, V-8 powered Dart is just redundant.

Ouch...i like the Charger...nice to see Chrysler is still doing large, RWD V8 sedans....better than having the name on some weak FWD model like the crappy car they put the name on in the '80s.

I had one of those "crappy '' cars from the 80s. It was quick, handled well and was very reliable to boot

I'm not anti-technology, but I am anti retro-technology…..

To build something similar to it's name-sake (Challenger) makes sense. To apply nameplates to late-model vehicles that are non-revelent bother me. A 4 door Charger and a 4 cylinder Dart are high on my list. And while we did have a 4 cylinder "Charger" in the 80's, it wasn't marketed as a throw-back to the original. At least the 80's version was a 2 dr.

And don't get me started on the Super Bee name badges on pick-up trucks…… :rolleyes:

I'm as cranky an old guy as you John, but the old names on the new vehicles don't bother me. We've long ago run out of car names, and Chrysler has been paying trademark fees on those names forever, so they own them and are free to use them as they see fit. And for the most part, 90% of the car buying public has long forgotten about these old car, or are too young to have known. In fact I work with a young guy who owns a Dart. I told him I had a 1970s Dart once, and he had no idea that Dodge had ever used the name before.

My cousin named his daughter after my long dead grandmother. Pretty much the same thing in my eyes! :P

• 3 weeks later...

and probably peddled by one helluva TV spot...

Interesting commercial... note that the car in the ad had a manual trans too! I especially liked in the end when she drove away, the trail of rust turned into a Chrysler emblem!

And any ID on the girl in the commercial?

Edited by Tom Geiger