Model Cars Magazine Forum

2010 Camaro "Revell Concept"

Wayne Buck

Hey guys and gals!

A couple of weeks ago, I had to keep my 4 year old daughter home from pre-school because she had a bit of a cough left over from a rather nasty cold. She was pretty bummed out, so I took her for a ride down to Michael's to let her pick something out.

Of all the cool things in the store to pick from, she "wanted to be like daddy" and get a model kit. It was a toss-up between this and the Revell snap 1/32 Fire Truck. She ultimately picked the Camaro because my sister had recently bought a 1:1 2010. I also let her pick out a testors rattle can color for it and we went home.

I figured since the kit isn't a completely accurate depiction of the real production car, we would do a little bit of customizing. So, I let her pick out a set of wheels for it out of my big tackle box full of wheel & tire sets.

I sanded the body, sprayed it in my booth and did some minor detail work (I didn't think it was a good idea to let her use the paints (lacquer and enamel) just yet... On her next one, though, I'll let her go to town with the water based acrylics). The next day, after everything was dry, we began assembly. Of course, I had to help her out with the build, but she was able to do a surprising amount on her own with little guidance.

Anyway, here's what we came up with after a couple of days:

EmsCamaroLF.jpg

EmsCamaroRF.jpg

EmsCamaroRR.jpg

EmsCamaroLR.jpg

I wasn't crazy about the wheels that she had picked at first (Pegasus 21" Hella's), but the more it came together, considering the "Retro Look" of the car, I thought to myself "These look kinda like what I would picture as 21st century rally wheels."

I'm waiting on some ink for my printer (AGAIN!!)... but when I get it, we are going to make some "SS" center caps to cover the holes where the knock-offs would normally go. At least we lucked out with the custom NJ license plate with her name on it... It was pretty much the first thing we did for the model before "Mommy" wasted our ink with all of her college papers. <_<

I also cut some aluminum tubing for the tail pipes and showed her how to polish them up, (I thought the kit tail pipes looked terrible and stuck out like a sore thumb.)

Sorry if I did a little too much rambling! I just had a BIG 'ol 24oz Cappuccino and now I'm like: :blink::lol:

Hope you guys enjoy!

The story behind it is awesome, and it turned out great! Id have my 4 year old help me out on a build but he likes to break stuff when i turn my head, so the build would probably be under his foot the second i took eyes off him. Ill give it another year. :)

Welcome to our hobby! You two did a great team build! I think her paint & wheel choices were great, they do look very cool on the car. She did a very fine job on her first build. Looking forward to see her next project. Thank you for sharing the hobby & sharing the build with us.

Thank you so much for the kind comments! If only I could have captured the look on her face when I brought her home from school today and showed her the pics of her Camaro on the computer, with all of the comments under it! She can't quite read yet, but she can recognize and write her name (Thanks for sticking that in there, Jim ;) ).

I read all of the comments to her and it really made her day! She looked just like this: :D Again, everyone, thank you SO MUCH for all of the great comments! And.. it's great to hear about all of the newcomers we have to look forward to! :)

Here's one more of Emily holding her "pride and joy" (any time someone comes over and goes near it, she runs over and says "Careful! careful!" LOL)

SANY0662.jpg

Oh, and she promises everyone that her next one will be a "Hands off, Daddy!" build... and we will be sure to share that one as well!

That's too cool!! Great job Emily! Those wheels are perfect for that car and tell your daddy to post the next model you build so we can all see!!

That's awesome Wayne! I tried getting my two boys involved in building. But both of them slung paint everywhere and went off to do something else. They didn't have the patients to sit there. My seven year old daughter however, all she does is sits and does crafts. Coloring, painting, scrap booking, ect... I'm hoping she will come to me one day and want to build. Hopefully soon before she gets old enough to realize she wants nothing to do with me :unsure: Enjoy these moments man!!

Nice looking Camaro! I like that Mean Look, I'm not sure, what makes it, but anyway it looks very good. Maybe those wheels would be little smaller for my taste, but those aren't bad either. Nice looking paintjob too.

It's really sad, there's no other than these simple kits from new Camaro. If there comes good quality kit, I must get one. But these kits without engine are not so inspiring, even if they can be built faster and they are sometimes fun to build, as they are something different. :)

Just wanted to say, thanks again guys for all of the comments! It really means a LOT to Emily...and me.

She is SUPER HAPPY to see her car on the computer and hear me read all of your awesome posts. Em' is now REALLY "chompin' at the bit" for her next project! :) Like I was sayin', whatever she decides to go for next, she wants it to be 100% done by her (unless she needs a little hand, of course).

Too bad they don't have a snap-tite "1st gen" S10 pickup... She could do a replica of my friend Jack's old work truck, painted with 'house paint' and a big brush! :lol: Whatever it is, we will be sure to share. ;)

Niko, I hear ya on the rims... I did try to stick some of the same 19" versions of these on the car and they just looked "lost" in the wheel wells. Guess, we just gotta "keep up with the times" when it's needed. The stock wheels on my sister's car look HUGE to me (19"), and it's just a base model 6-banger!

Thanks again! B)

Edit: Oh, Niko, forgot to tell ya... There are some "full glue kit" offerings (supposed to be out very soon) on the way. Hopefully, we can get our hands on some soon, as I've been working on a replica of my sister's car a little here and there for the past month or so. I have the gas door filled, front "mail slot" filled and the rest of the body work done (to make it look as correct as I can) and it's now ready for paint. I was thinking of waiting on the glue kit so I can get a correct looking interior for it... The Concept one is very different from the 1:1.

Edited by Wayne Buck