Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where have you seen model cars in movies, TV shows ?

On 10/14/2021 at 12:29 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

You aren't wrong.  Here's Joseph Cotten as Marilyn Monroe's psycho husband in the 1953 movie Niagara.

niagara8.jpg.9c7eb0875d4cfdb3895b2918d01f082b.jpg

Though I suppose you could argue that if he's choosing model cars over Marilyn Monroe, he can't be right in the head.

Too much sniffin the glue!

• 4 weeks later...

The garage sale scene from the cult classic indie film 'The Wizard Of Speed And Time" (by Mike Jittlov) has some brief glimpses of old collectibles including an Airfix James Bond Aston Martin. 

(starts at around the 25:35 mark)

Edited by Brian Austin

A scene from the 70's TV series "The Sweeney" where he's building a hovercraft. There is another scene but I can't find it, could be from a different episode, where he's building a semi truck.992646798_Modelbuild.thumb.jpg.e21c2352619c2cf3183d5aa532449cc3.jpg I think it's this Airfix kit from the early 70's

Hovercraft.jpg.78553cebe3e5cf4e29e37f16b84eaa9d.jpg

Edited by doorsovdoon
  • Like 1

There was a movie from the early fifties- can not remember the title or actors- younger brother goes to find out about his convicted brother- in the bedroom there is a 32 Ford roadster model looking like the old Monogram kit. I would welcome more info if anyone could help.

6 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Well, good thing they don't make large, already painted and disassembled die cast ki....oh, never mind 

I must be the only person in the world who is completely unmoved by "Eleanor".  Just a cartoon car as far as I'm concerned.  Otherwise I'm a sucker for Mustangs having owned 3 and having driven one "at work".

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

I must be the only person in the world who is completely unmoved by "Eleanor".  Just a cartoon car as far as I'm concerned.  Otherwise I'm a sucker for Mustangs having owned 3 and having driven one "at work".

You are not alone, I am not a fan of this car at all! A stock 67/68 KR, sure, but not this thing! And there is only one "Eleanor"

1973 Eleanor

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

No, you're not alone. I really don't care for the tacked on fender flares, side pipes, etc. To me, all the unnecessary customizing makes the car look awkward.

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

No, you're not alone. I really don't care for the tacked on fender flares, side pipes, etc. To me, all the unnecessary customizing makes the car look awkward.

Exactly,you took the words right out of my mouth.IMO,I have to agree.No offense to anyone,but I never liked Eleanor at all.Too many stuck on fake flares.Too much customizing can ruin any car.Sometimes less is better.

The last episode of American Pickers. They were out in L.A. and picked a 3 generation special effects family that had tons of scratch built cars, trucks and trains in 1/6 scale and bigger. all from well known movies. They buy a 1/6 square body GM truck and a '65 Impala from the Mothman prophecies and an airstream trailer.

This series aired on PBS in the 1980s-90s era.  The host's dialog style might feel a little forced today, but that's the way it was done then.  From what I've read, the host was an accomplished builder. The show was aimed at novices.  Other parts of the show are on YT.

Edited by Brian Austin

This show aired in the UK, and profiled several different model types.  Model cars in this case were represented by R/C racers.  Some of the model builders show their techniques. The segment showing figure construction was particularly interesting (first part).

The other parts of this video are also on YT.

21 hours ago, Mike C. said:

The last episode of American Pickers. They were out in L.A. and picked a 3 generation special effects family that had tons of scratch built cars, trucks and trains in 1/6 scale and bigger. all from well known movies. They buy a 1/6 square body GM truck and a '65 Impala from the Mothman prophecies and an airstream trailer.

Watched that last night. Some pretty cool stuff there!