Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where have you seen model cars in movies, TV shows ?

My Three Sons. (Chip got an airplane kit in the mail)

The Waltons (Jim Bob was always working on wooden planes)

Leave It To Beaver

Andy Griffith

The Brady Bunch

There was a Rodney Dangerfield movie (Easy Money) that had him trying to build a 1/25th Messershmidt(?) with some comment about Foch...

In the game Fallout, there are Nuke Cola trucks and little blue 50's Indy type cars you can collect as well as a real nice static model in the Tenpenny Towers penthouse (can't get that one though).

- In the movie Diva (by Jean-Jacques Beineix) the main protagonist's best friend is seen building a model airplane, and there are literally hundreds of built ones in his room. They occupy every level surface and lots and lots of them are dangling from the ceiling.

- Need I mention Gerry Anderson?

There are so many kit-based model cars in his movies, that there is a base model kit spotters site out there somewhere.

- There are loads of model cars in the old Godzilla (and most other Japanese SciFi Monster) flicks.

- In Steve McQueen's last movie 'The Hunter', Ralph "Papa" Thorson, who is played by McQueen, is a collector of vintage toys, some cars among them.

Edited by Junkman

There is an episode of Rockford's Files, where one of the baddies builds an AMT '68 Shelby Mustang while they hide out in a motel room.

Similar scene in Episode 15 first season of Starsky & Hutch called "Shoot Out", bad guy build what appears to be a 70's AMC product.

Forgot about the recent Nissian Commercials with the guy building a Datsun 240 it looks like.

Nick

Edited by Nick Winter

In the Clint Eastwood movie In the Line of fire, the badguy (John Malkovich) is shown buying model supplies to build a small resin pistol he intends to use to assassinate the president.

There is an episode of Burn Notice where Micheal's mom finds a box of his old model airplanes.

Robin Williams and Billy Crystal supposedly play Warhammer. Unless they just buy all the figures and such built there is alot of model building involved.

Robin Williams and Billy Crystal supposedly play Warhammer. Unless they just buy all the figures and such built there is alot of model building involved.

I can vouch for the modelling bit. My nephew is big into Warhammer and often buys sets with dozens of figures in them. All need to be painstakingly assembled and painted. No mean feat given how small they are.

This also reminds me of the movie "Ronin", where the character played by Michael Lonsdale (I think Jean-Pierre) builds a what appears to be 00 scale diorama with an army of Samurai warriors.

There was a model airplane in last year's Christmas episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. In the episode, Charlie Kelly was looking back on his dysfuncional childhood and some of the gifts he'd recieved. Present-day Charlie narrarated "I didn't know what some of the stuff was, but I always had fun with it", as young Charlie removed the tube of glue from the box and tossed the rest aside.