Model Cars Magazine Forum

Could be, if they're are like the self contained ones like Jeep used back in the mid 90's, the shock could have set them off. I've also heard of airbags going off if vehicle movements are beyond a given set of parameters.......Like jumping or landing off a jump, powersliding on gravel in a vehicle that normally wouldn't be, ect.

he is very lucky and at the same time very stupid.

i work at a welding supply company and I ALWAYS tell the customer not to leave ANY cylinder inside there vehicle, that they should be transported in the back of a pick up and be strapped down so they dont roll around. i even inform them not to transport cylinders in cars or in the cabin as this can happen. but do people listen, NO! they still transport cylinders in their cars and or inside with them. heck even the ones that have trucks dont secure them even after i tell that is not safe to have them like that.

it irritates me most when its a woman with her kids that bring cylinders. their stupid lazy husbands would rather put them in danger.

im going to print that out and post it in my store. maybe then they will listen to me.

he is very lucky and at the same time very stupid.

i work at a welding supply company and I ALWAYS tell the customer not to leave ANY cylinder inside there vehicle, that they should be transported in the back of a pick up and be strapped down so they dont roll around. i even inform them not to transport cylinders in cars or in the cabin as this can happen. but do people listen, NO! they still transport cylinders in their cars and or inside with them. heck even the ones that have trucks dont secure them even after i tell that is not safe to have them like that.

it irritates me most when its a woman with her kids that bring cylinders. their stupid lazy husbands would rather put them in danger.

im going to print that out and post it in my store. maybe then they will listen to me.

I've seen an unsecured tank fall out of a truck and land on the valve. It's a pretty chilling sight to see... a large, pressurized tank spinning around like a top with gas hissing out of the broken valve. I don't think I've ever run that fast before or since in my life. I've also seen the aftermath of one that had the valve shear off entirely, which caused the tank to take off like a torpedo and blast through a concrete wall. Like Joe said, nobody is going to listen until it happens to them or someone they know.

your dad is a smart fella andy, Im the same way.

That said, acetylene is its own special animal, Acetylene is VERY unstable - if you were to cut open a acetylene bottle the inside would be stuffed with balsa wood, and acetone in which the acetylene is dissolved, all this just to make it stable enough for use!

never lay an acet. bottle on it's side if you can help it! if you absolutly have to Keep the bottle up right at least twice as long as it was on its side before use! (if it was on its side for an hour, wait 2 before you use it)

A few decades ago (yes I am old) when I owned my own welding setup, I was in the supply store having a tank refilled. There was a newspaper clipping under the glass on the countertop, showed a pic of a car blown to bits, much like the one in the op. The accompanying article said the bottle developed a slow leak, investigators believe the clock in the dash set it off. It doesn't take much.