Model Cars Magazine Forum

IMSA Motorcraft Mustang

Beerman86GT

Hello all! Got this one off of e-Bay a couple weeks ago, complete kit minus wheels and tires. First off let me say, I do not do period correct builds or exact replica builds. I build them as I like them and have fun with it. I strive for a nice clean build, I have never tried the scratch buiding, hope to learn some tips from this place! I do change up the paint colors sometimes to fit my liking. This one I will try to do a clean box stock build with maybe some plug wires added in and defintely getting a set of BBS wheels and tires from StradaSports.Here is what i have so far, still need to do some detail painting on the chassis and what not. Comments and suggestions welcome! Thanks guys!!!!

DSCN2041.jpg

DSCN2038.jpg

DSCN2039.jpgDSCN2037.jpg

I want to add that the wheels and tires from Strada are awesome! True alluminum hoops with plastic centers! i will need some suggestions on how to get these things mounted up later on. I'll try to get some pics of my dillema. Thanks again!!!

Sorry for the delay on updates on this builds guys. With the Holidays coming up not too much time to spend in the garage! Got some parts for my 1:1 86Gt as well for early Christmas presents. I have done some work and will be posting some updates soon.Got some pictures of my wheel mounting dilema as well! Thanks for looking!

Make sure is low and mean. :angry:

I have done a bunch of these and for the most part

the shell is must of the time warped. and I hate that.

A blow dryer, heats the plastic enoff to make it bend

and it cools off strait. love the wheels.

here are some references http://roushmustang0...estoration.html

hope it helps.

Awesome! I did not notice my "tweaked" body until you posted this! I will surely be following your advice!!!! Thanks Bro!!!!!!!

Ok, so for some pics, sorry for the quality, my camera was not cooperating last night. Got some detailing done, and some of the cockpit painted and mocked up for the time being, This pic should also show the problem I am having with the wheels and the spindles/rear axle. I have two male peices if that makes sense. The car/chassis is made for the wheels to snap on to the stud and the wheels are made to snap into a whole on the car/chassis. I have a few ideas but would like some ideas!Thanks guys!!!!

DSCN2049.jpgDSCN2057.jpg

Just some other projects still sitting on the bench.........................

DSCN2060.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Beerman..how's your racer coming along??? Did you see that I started the Flolgers Stang.

Let's go Bro. let's keep building stangs

HA! It's going! Slowly, unfortunately. Was not able to use the wheels, so I got some resin ones. Cleaning all the flashing out of them is a PITA!!!! I've been buying lately, mostly old NASCAR's I've bought 5-6 in the last two weeks! Also working on Matt and Debbid Hayes Pro street T-Bird which I'm going to do a "Workbench" thread on here as soon as I get the pics loaded up. As a matter of fact I've also been working on a larger scale mustang, both of these for my 6 year old daughter which is why this project has slowed down. Thanks for checking on me man!!!!

The resin wheels, Where did you get them? I am looking to get a set from BHP interprises, but seem I can,t find them

I cannot remember, I know it was off of e-Bay. I'll look at the brand and get some pictures and post them up for you!

Well, this one has kinda stalled a bit as I have been distracted by other projects! At least she is sitting on all fours now!

2012-05-17173717.jpg

2012-05-17173819.jpg

2012-05-17173702.jpg

Cannot remember the brand of these wheels but I attempted cleaning the flashing off of them, it is VERY time consuming.

OK, so like I mentioned, I got the correct wheels and tires from WCBrown (Bill) great guy!!!! I was getting ready to put her up on the shelf for a while and then I got the correct wheels and got some painting and decals done. Can someone fill me in on how to get the centers of these the proper gold color? Is there supposed to be a little touch of black in there as well? Some progress pics.......

2012-05-23054315.jpg

2012-05-23054208.jpg

2012-05-23054257.jpg

Thanks for looking guys!!!!

john, i usually use a mixture of gold w/a touch of yellow, paint the spokes first, let them sit awhile. then i use a wash of thinned down flat black, and, a piece of tee shirt, dab the excess off the spokes! paint the center nut "steel"

john, i usually use a mixture of gold w/a touch of yellow, paint the spokes first, let them sit awhile. then i use a wash of thinned down flat black, and, a piece of tee shirt, dab the excess off the spokes! paint the center nut "steel"

Thanks for the tip sir! I got the gold/yellow micture on last night!

Another bump in the road, Decals are not sticking at all! :angry: Is this because of their age or did I do something wrong possibly? They have set for a while on the car and they are just raising up in spots. Anything I can do? Start over with a new sheet?

Edited by Beerman86GT