Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Impala- "Lemon Twist"... Finished 12/19

jaymcminn

This is going to be a nearly OOB build of the Revell '58 Impala. Paint is Testors White Lightning with a custom mix of White Lightning and Inca Gold for the base yellow, The edges of the yellow panels were then fogged in Inca Gold. I still thought that it was "missing something" so I came back in with a stripe over the center of the roof and highlighted the body sides in a lighter yellow. It's all buried under a TON of Wet Look Clear. The wheels will be a set of flat-spoke mags (Keystones?) from the AMT '51 Chevy with SATCO narrow whites. It's going to have lakes pipes and a slight nose-down stance- the look will be pure mid-sixties. I might swap out the motor for the AMT '62 Impala 409, with its Offy valve covers. Enjoy the first pics...DSCN1342.jpg

DSCN1341.jpg

DSCN1340.jpg

DSCN1339.jpg

DSCN1345.jpg

Edited by jaymcminn

I like it. For a "ton" of wet look clear on it, it doesn't really seem to shine, though. It looks more satin.

If Im not mistaken that particular white has a bit of a pearl to it, so that may account for the satin look

Here's one for ya...DSCN1347.jpg

Great start, I just wrapped up one of those. Eager to see it progress

i always loved those 58s especially lowered all down with some custom touches like sculpted accents, caddy taillights and fender skirts. and of course a 409. and of course with the pearl fogged paint job. you got that one under control so i am looking forward to seeing what else happens!

K I L L E R !

Those pics have fully whetted my appetite to build one of these.

Nice colour choice and the fade in the centre of the roof is a really nice touch.

I hope you're going to add Bellflower pipes. How low are you gonna make it sit?

It's not going to be scraping the ground or anything like that. The front will sit a little lower than the rear for a really nice traditional rake. I have a set of the dummy lakes pipes from a Revell '49 Merc that might go on, but I'm a little on the fence with that for right now. Thanks for the comment about the fade stripe in the center of the roof- I was a little unhappy with the look of the thing before I went back in and added that extra touch.

As far as progress goes, I actually fabbed up an AMT Impala 409 with the Offenhauser valve covers and M/T tunnel ram intake, but it's just a little too mean to go in this one- Im going to save that particular motor for a '32 Ford project I'm kicking around in my head. The engine in this build will be the stock 348 with the custom finned valve covers, but I might scrounge around in the parts boxes for a different air cleaner or something to make the engine bay stand out some. Still on the fence about whether to paint the engine Inca Gold, in keeping with the sort of show-car look of the build, or to paint it in Chevy Engine Red.

I've been mixing some test colors for the interior- the overall color will be a pale yellow with the seat stripes painted in white, brown, and gold. The carpet will be a flocked in a gold color from Ken's. I'm looking forward to getting some progress made the next few days- I'm finally getting a few days off after a week of crazy hours!