Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any interest in XS Tuning Wheels...cheap.....?

I know this is a long shot but here goes. I'm a newby to here so I hope this post isn't out of line but tonight I got the opportunity of a lifetime for anyone even remotely interested in modeling and I really don't want to pass up. I say this because I used to build models and know how expensive it can be and I hate to see this opportunity go to waste both for myself and other modelers/customizers out there today. I'll be honest here and say my hopes here are that I can make a little money off of this deal deal and in doing so pass along some GREAT deals on a huge inventory of XS Tuning wheels and various other parts/kits. I'm not sure exactly what all kits are available to me as I didn't have the time to go through everything, but the box I'm holding right now is a Part Number- 17-10012, Style- Speed RS---Size 17 inch----Finish-White.------ I've done a bit of research and I know these kits had limited success due to being 1/24 scale -vs- 1/25 scale but I've got the opportunity tonight to pick up a huge amount of these kits, if I want them. The catch is they have to be gone from where they are by Friday morning. If there is any interest at all I'm going to get as many of them as I possibly can and will gladly sell them for $2 apiece plus the shipping. The other kits I'll mention in a second I haven't really thought about pricing but given enough interest will come up with something more than fair all around.

Also in with this deal I've got access to alot of partial kits,parts like tires, etc, etc from the old Accurate Scale model company. There are a few car kits like an '60's Corvette, and a Mclarren GT but the vast majority of the kits are warplanes like the Mustang, Avenger, Phantom, verious bombers, etc, etc. Again I can pick and chose the amount of them I want if there is any interest.

If there is any interest at all please email me at Northwest80d@aol.com I know neither Accurate or XS Wheels are in business anymore and like I said this is a limited time deal for me to pick all of these things up, although I may pick up a few cases just because I can. Ultimately though the amount of them, I get will be determined by the amount of interest represented in the responses I get between now and tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your time, and like I said this is a very limited opportuinty for me to get this stuff since all of it has to be gone by Friday. In other words if your interested please pass this info through the grapevine to your friends, on any other forms your a member of, etc, etc and tell them to email me and let me know something. Thanks again and have a greart evening.

I did a little Googling, and based on what Bob Downie (ZoomZoomMX-5 on that forum, a person who I think has a pretty good handle on the auto modelling world) said, I would have to suggest you pass on the XS Tuning wheels:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t415688-xstuning_wheels_what_happend_to_them_.html

FWIW, I've never seen the XS Tuning wheels, but if they scale out to 16" in 1/25 scale,I see little demand for them, as Bob stated in his post.

It sounds like they're auctioning off what's left of Accurate Miniatures, which I believe was based in North Carolina. I think Revell picked what they wanted off that carcass (Grand Sport Vette), so I'm not sure what's left.

Sadly, for anyone who has never seen these wheels/tires/brakes, they are very well done (as ZOOM-ZOOM eluded to in that link) and are worth the swap-meet cost just for the brake detail (and extra set of rotors/caliper that come in the box). I have to agree on the sizes though; there are very few scale models that they look the part on. Small cars (read:Opel GT and Honda CRX) make the wheels look good. Anything bigger, and the wheels vanish. Too bad too, as they are quite well done detail-wise and clarity of casting.

• 4 weeks later...

Phil Harkins (Bridgebuster) was kind enough to send me a couple boxes of these wheels and they are very nice. The wheels are crisp, as are the brakes, and as already stated they are great for tuners or would even look good on pro touring muscle cars possibly.. Depending on the wheel styles available I would more than likely buy some off of you, probably 2 or 3 of each wheel design in a variety of whatever colors you get. Please PM me if you do end up getting these, thanks :)

I'd be real interested in how these became available. My family was involved with both the old Accurate Miniatures and the revived AM. I knew all parties from both companies. The revived AM was headed up by an ex Revell Monogram exec and a money guy from NC. The art director was my brother in law Tom Myers who passed very expectantly DEC 3 years ago. XS Tuning was run out of the same building in Concord as AM. Last I heard the business was being sold......but I guess something has happened now and assets are being dumped. Last time I was in the building there was a bunch of kits, TONS of XS stock and a room full of parts and test shots including maybe 20 of the AM NASCAR Taurus kits that were never released and some McLaren kits too. Doubt we will ever know what really happened....or if the kits will ever show up again.

I'd be real interested in how these became available.

Just guessing here, but it sounds like AM's (and probably XS Tuning's or whatever the parent company is) remaining stock was sold or auctioned off, as Revell (or maybe Hobbico) has purchased what was left of AM's Corvette Grand Sport product as is re-packaging and selling it in 2012. Add in the AM airplane comment about, and the O.P.'s comments indicating he had the chance to buy much of the XS Tuning product, and it sounds like a typical business liquidation in which remaining assets are sold or auctioned off.