Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dr. Cranky

Doc, your work is a benchmark for me.

I hope that one day, I'll be able to paint and build like you.

Until then, I'll just drool over your fine work.

I only got into this hobby in 2008. I never knew it could be so good... so much skill, imagination and artistry.

I love it!

Builds like yours really do inspire me. I wish I had more money and time to devote to building cars....

Thanks for showing us your amazing work. The video was a real bonus, too. It did your skills justice.

Another week, and another closer push to Holidays and family time, so I am trying to wrap up all this paint work before people start arriving.

Like I said, I have two more bodies to go after this 70 Chevelle, a 41 Willys in blue, and a Challenger in Passion Lilac Pearl.

Here's the 70 Chevelle after a round of buffing and polishing . . . I still have to work on a few areas, but it's definitely the best black paint job I've ever done to date, thanks in part to this model's body style.

001-vi.jpg

002-vi.jpg

004-vi.jpg

Yes it is, it's enamel all the way. I started out with black primer, then applied several coats of semi-gloss enamel, and then several coats of clear--yes, all Testors.

I've buffed and polished it out twice to get rid of a few imperfections and scratches. Then hit it up with NOVUS.

I'm going to make a little video in hopes that the shine comes through better.

I got behind here, or maybe just stunned at Virgil's paint jobs. :)

Just to add some history, Rapidograph pens were designed for the drafting industry. We used them making engineering drawings but rarely, as most drawings being developed needed a lot of erasure before complete. Our surveyors had to do ink for drawings going to the land registry. Ink defiantly reproduced better than pencil but was just more expensive and difficult to erase so really wasn't used much for working drawings. For a one off drawing or tracing they produced beautiful work.

Edited by Foxer