Model Cars Magazine Forum

New member, introducing myself

Hello my name is Bailey, and I am 15. My aunt is a member here too, her name is Michelle (Turbokitty). When I was younger I tried building a NASCAR model but I didn't paint it. I had to move in with my aunt & her boyfriend recently and I saw all of the model cars she has, she let me pick one of hers that wasn't built yet and we are building it together. I chose a Chevy Beretta and I'm going to build it with the custom ground effects (the box says MPC on it). I chose to paint it two tone gold and candy red, and my aunt is going to paint it for me. I started on the engine, wheels, and chassis while we're waiting on the gold paint to dry. I will see if she can take some pictures so I can show you guys, I hope it comes out cool! I love hunting and pickup trucks, hopefully I can build a camouflage pickup after the Beretta is done. I hope to learn more about building model cars (I have a lot to learn, my aunt is helping me with the brand names and stuff) and I am eager to finish my Chevy so that I can start on the Revell '55 Ford F100 that I'm getting for Christmas :D

Welcome aboard the best forum ever. I was much younger than you when I got hooked on model cars and trucks and am in my 40s now and still love it. There are many helpful and talented members here and they are always willing to lend advice and I am sure your Aunt will be a great help as well. Just remember it is a hobby and should be fun and you will have many years of enjoyment ahead of you. Once again welcome.

welcome aboard buddy, your a lucky guy to have an aunt like Michelle

i too have made a few trades with her (even dating back before she was turbokitty) and she is a great gal to work with

cant wait to see some pictures of your work and remember, we're all one big happy family here so dont be afraid to ask question

I've told him that there are plenty of guys on here that would be more than happy to teach him some tricks of the trade so to speak LOL. I will get some pics of his Beretta and post it as a WIP thread for him Saturday. It's funny because I have several Charger bodies laying on a shelf that were painted a couple months ago that he asked about, wondering what they were for, and I showed him the ones I hadn't finished yet (lack of motivation among other things). I'm thrilled that he has taken an interest in it, the ball has been rolling with his Beretta at a faster pace than I do my own builds with so that has me wanting to finish mine even more LOL :lol:. I showed him a handful of Under Glass threads, and he was amazed at the craftsmanship (I explained what kitbashing and scratchbuilding are, and used one of John Teresi's builds as an example - his jaw dropped). It's sort of like a whole new world of possibilities with plastic, since he isn't exactly allowed to play the Xbox 360 all day (he is being home schooled now for different reasons). Regardless he has done well on his first kit so far and I am very proud :D. I think I will have to make some sort of a paint booth since here in Michigan it is getting too cold to spray paint outside.

Also to Kris, we live in Adrian, about a half hr from Toledo, OH. I see you live in Westland, I think that's 45 min to an hour away but I might be wrong (I have an Aunt that lives there - if you've seen a gold '71 GTO w/ a Judge spoiler & chrome Cragar Super Trick wheels driving around or going to cruise ins then that is more than likely her and her husband ;)). It would be great for him to join a club, there is one in Jackson but we haven't been able to go for months now unfortunately.

Funny you say "cold here in Michigan". I FINALLY got around to tryin to get some paint down earlier (since the move) and it took me 3 coats to get it right lol. Guess my next purchase will be a paint booth.

Welcome to the hobby and the forum, Bailey. LOTS of great guys (and gals) here that are more than happy to help you out in any way possible.

And Michelle, don't feel bad about not making the meetings, I haven't made it to one in almost 2 yrs. Haven't had a Saturday off in over a year.

Welcome to the board and hobby, Bailey. It's awesome to have someone like your aunt right there. :)

It was interesting to see Adrian mentioned in Michelle's post. I'm a New Englander, but I went to school in Angola, IN and made many trips to Adrian College while there. It must have been the countryside .. maybe the cars .. no, that's right it was the beautiful girls there! :lol:

I'll be looking forward to seeing your builds.

Haha that picture is funny, I love the Simpsons. Thanks guys for the support too, I will be asking lots of questions cause I have a lot to learn. We looked at Hobby Lobby today to get more glue and saw that models are 30% off and I saw a yellow '70 Challenger R/T (my favorite car), hopefully I will get that one but I want to finish the one I started first. :)

• 1 month later...

welcome Baily

i am new on here myself. i am so glad to see a youg person get into this as a hobby. most kids your age are only into video games and computers 24 7. i have been watching hobby store after hobby store close down because most kids today have no interest in a hands on hobby. was a time before video games and computers when a kid and his dad or grand dad would work on models or railroad settups together. keep it up and keep building :D

Edited by jerseyjunker1