Model Cars Magazine Forum

1-8 scale 69 camaro pro mod (mike hill's car)

comp1839

Hey Boys the body is availible for purchase at the TDR/Shapeways site. https://sites.google.com/site/tdrinnovations/ now the 1/16th scale body is pricey at about $169.00 before shipping and if youre planning on getting the 1/8th scale body you better have your pennys saved up cause that baby aint cheap. 'll let you see that one for yourself .....I'll be buying the 1/16th later this week.

Holy Smokes :blink: .... I was guessing half of what it was for the 1/8th scale one. I sure want one in 1/16th scale though.

Wow... that is steep... no wonder it is called the "Big Boyz Club!" even I was still off by $300. Well I wonder if they will be doing the 1/8 body in parts to make it less painfull?

IE: Nose one price, Body one price and decklid and doors another price or something like that?

The 1/16th is $176.45 shipped to my door... Now the wait begins....can't wait to get this puppy in my hands! It is expensive, but it is a NO Brainer I had to plop the money down for this baby... knowing it is to scale is just going to be incredible!

TDR is THE place to buy parts or the whole car. I believe the prices are based solely on how much material is used so that's why an 1/8 scale body is so much more than a 1/16. They can make anything you might want and it's good quality. I'm going to be working with Tim at TDR to develop some dirt racing tires in the near future and there will be more chassis parts coming soon for the 4 bar midget frame. If you give these guys a plan and maybe some pictures of what you want, they'll build it. I don't work for them and really don't know them, personally, just through phone conversations and e-mail, but I've seen their stuff first hand and wow!

Well that's too steep for my price range, but I'll enjoy sitting back and watching you guys put these masterpieces together I'm trying to get my 1:1 car back together and do some racing this year, and one of these is not in the plans for me... not knocking them at all because they definately look top shelf... I just cant stand it...right now... but I'll be rooting you guys on....lol

Edited by tyrone

TDR is THE place to buy parts or the whole car. I believe the prices are based solely on how much material is used so that's why an 1/8 scale body is so much more than a 1/16. They can make anything you might want and it's good quality. I'm going to be working with Tim at TDR to develop some dirt racing tires in the near future and there will be more chassis parts coming soon for the 4 bar midget frame. If you give these guys a plan and maybe some pictures of what you want, they'll build it. I don't work for them and really don't know them, personally, just through phone conversations and e-mail, but I've seen their stuff first hand and wow!

I wish that was the case, not sure if it is though. Just looking at the 1/12 and the 1/16 it is more than double the cost, based on your thought process. I would say it isn't necessarily the materials that is driving up the cost. It almost looks like it has something to do with the equipment/Time equivalent consumption costs that it takes to print out the part in the 3D printer. But I know nothing about this whole 3D process, but I bet DOM sure could shed some light, as it sounds like he works with this type of equipment day in and day out.

I have to agree they are a very good company and willing to listen to the Modeler and the modelling community. I think it sure is cool that you are even working on some things for the rest of us!

Now back to the Thread... come on Dave we want to see some more updates on this BEAST!

Edited by eviltwincustoms

I wish that was the case, not sure if it is though. Just looking at the 1/12 and the 1/16 it is more than double the cost, based on your thought process. I would say it isn't necessarily the materials that is driving up the cost. It almost looks like it has something to do with the equipment/Time equivalent consumption costs that it takes to print out the part in the 3D printer. But I know nothing about this whole 3D process, but I bet DOM sure could shed some light, as it sounds like he works with this type of equipment day in and day out.

I have to agree they are a very good company and willing to listen to the Modeler and the modelling community. I think it sure is cool that you are even working on some things for the rest of us!

Now back to the Thread... come on Dave we want to see some more updates on this BEAST!

The advantage TDR has is 1) they understand what is wanted by the customer (small scale detailed but not overly detailed parts) and can not only deliver they will design it 2) they have multiple machines they are working with as a acting service provider. on average, the 3D printers currently in the market cost the owner anywhere from $5-10 a cubic inch in raw material. From there they need to clean/post process the parts which can be anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours. They have service contracts on each machine and parts that are considered consumable. This is where the cost tems from. They need to charge you for the amount of hours it takes to produce the part X the expected life/price of the consumable items, plus the material cost usually times 2 or 3 so that they can pay for the material and be compensated for, plus the service of post processing which my be a hourly rate. This I how a part that costs them maybe $150 can quickly turn into $300+. Is it cheap? No but where else are you going to get custom one off parts without waiting for a caster to make the whole deal by hand. I've been a tech working on and with 3D printers for 4 years now and even in that time the technology has grown. I use our printers at work to make turbos, intakes, intercoolers, fuel cells, and even rubber tires with whatever pattern I want. I was also a Solidworks tech for a while, so I do know my way around a few CAD software packages as well. s o I do all my own work, which you can imagine drastically costs down on cost to me.

• 2 weeks later...

as soon as i get this carb stuff handled i'll be starting on the engine (i hope). there is a ton of planning that go into these builds. since i've never done a copy of someone's car, i don't know whether to expect it to take longer or if it will go quicker. no matter what, i know i'll be having a good time doing it.

Isnt that what its all about? , Just having a good ol time! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...