Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Jungle Jim Camaro F/C

Pro Tech

First, thanks to all that responded to my request for pics for this build. I really appreciate it and they will really help out in the process. I have the build mocked-up so far (white glued) to make sure everything fits where it's suppose to, one thing I really hate is to have something painted and find you have to work the piece to fit ruining the paint in the process. The body is a Speed City item, chassis is from a Polar Lights F/C, there was alot of rework to the tin to make it fit/getting the ride height. Now it's time to soak everything in warm water to break everything down and start the painting process. Thanks for looking.

JungleJim1.jpg

Charlie

Pro Tech

Thanks guys,

DC, I would have loved to have gone with a production based 70' Camaro F/C kit but none are available that I know of (except the old Revell "not accurate at all" Heavy Hugger" (I beleive that was the name) kit), and the reason I went with a resin body.

Randy L, I use Elmer for all my mock-ups. You might try putting some on a piece of alum. foil until it get's a little tackeir for those parts giving you a problem holding.

Charlie

Pro Tech

I agree with Charlie about the bodies. The MPC USA-1 Camaro is pretty much the stock MPC Camaro body with a molded in hood. The Revell kit has some of the proportions right but the front of the greenhouse looks like some sat on it. I have scene someone merge an AMT Camaro greenhouse to it and come out with a nice product.

Did you have to adjust the wheelbase at all or does that body have the same wheelbase as the PL cars?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, got a little more done on this. Engine is almost complete with the following Pro Tech parts - pulley set (belt to go on soon), Distributor Kit, Plug Wires, Alum. Breathers, Mallory Coil (strap made from BMF), and Nut and Bolt Heads to replace the molded in bolt heads (front cover, etc.). Then I (as always) gave the whole assembly a wash of Polly Scale (charcol color) to bring out some shadow effects and give the subject a little used look as most of these very early F/C's were reat work horses. I will post more when I get the fuel sys. plumbed. Thanks for looking!

JJEng1.jpg

JJEng2.jpg

JJEng3.jpg

JJEng4.jpg

Charlie

Pro Tech

Charlie, a few questions. when you do your mockup, do you build the entire thing up using all parts you'll be using in the final build?Is that your distributor on there and finally...if it is..the boot material doesnt look like the stuff that comes with your kit,looks more like styrene rod?

Edited by Evil Appetite

First, thanks to all that responded to my request for pics for this build. I really appreciate it and they will really help out in the process. I have the build mocked-up so far (white glued) to make sure everything fits where it's suppose to, one thing I really hate is to have something painted and find you have to work the piece to fit ruining the paint in the process. The body is a Speed City item, chassis is from a Polar Lights F/C, there was alot of rework to the tin to make it fit/getting the ride height. Now it's time to soak everything in warm water to break everything down and start the painting process. Thanks for looking.

JungleJim1.jpg

Charlie

Pro Tech

very smart to use white glue and mock it up!! we have all been there, have something half done to find something not fit properly, there were a ton of different jungle jim cars!, I did the dark blue and gold revell vega version with the go go boots :D Edited by vintagedragfan

Thanks guys, got a little more done on this. Engine is almost complete with the following Pro Tech parts - pulley set (belt to go on soon), Distributor Kit, Plug Wires, Alum. Breathers, Mallory Coil (strap made from BMF), and Nut and Bolt Heads to replace the molded in bolt heads (front cover, etc.). Then I (as always) gave the whole assembly a wash of Polly Scale (charcol color) to bring out some shadow effects and give the subject a little used look as most of these very early F/C's were reat work horses. I will post more when I get the fuel sys. plumbed. Thanks for looking!

JJEng1.jpg

JJEng2.jpg

JJEng3.jpg

JJEng4.jpg

Charlie

Pro Tech

sweeeet Charlie!!

Charlie, a few questions. when you do your mockup, do you build the entire thing up using all parts you'll be using in the final build?Is that your distributor on there and finally...if it is..the boot material doesnt look like the stuff that comes with your kit,looks more like styrene rod?

Thanks guys!

Mike, yes I mock-up the entire model with all the parts that will be used in the final build. 95% is mocked-up with white glue, some parts can be final glued (super glue, liquid glue etc.) such as the roll cage, frame, engine halves, fuel tank, etc. these parts will also look better painted after assembled. The distributor is a combination of my kit's cap/boot material and the model kit's base (the base also needs to be notched on one side to allow it ti sit to a lower position to allow for the wiring). The boot material on the cap is what come in the kit.

Charlie

Pro Tech

Can't wait to see this one finished, Charlie. I really love the Jungle Jim Lieberman cars. He was quite the character and an incredible showman. Camaro Performers magazine did a nice article on this car after it was found and restored. It has some great photos.http://www.camaroperformers.com/featured-camaros/2nd-gen-camaro-1970-1981/camp-0803-jungle-jim-liberman-camaro/viewall.html