Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monkeemobile

Bluzboy66

I've been wanting to build one of these for quite a while. The body was a bit of a challenge to get right. Mine had a lot of flash, and the nose and tail pans fit poorly.....especially around the headlight buckets and grill openings. I spent more time filling and smoothing the seams and gaps than I did building the dang thing! Once the body was primed, smoothed, and ready for color, I custom-mixed the Candy Red and sprayed it over Tamiya silver. The clear topcoat is 2-part urethane. Tires are from the parts box (the kit tires are too dinky). The kit itself is really simple, and overall, it was a fun build. Best part is, now I have the iconic Monkeemobile in my collection!

Thanks for looking,

Mike

IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

Edited by Bluzboy66

Thanks guys. I looked at loads of photos of the real car, and some of them showed the color as plain 'ol bright red, while other photos show the color as a deeper candy-like shade. I decided to just go with Candy Red over Silver. It's classic and looks great in the lights!

Mike

Looks great, Mike! What paint did you use on the body? It's sweet!

Art, it's custom-mixed Candy Red. I used Testors clear enamel, and mixed in various dyes until I got the shade right. I mix my colors using TransTint brand dyes for transparent colors, and ColorTone pigments for custom solid colors.....

http://www.woodcraft...ranstint%20dyes

http://www.stewmac.c...or_Lacquer.html

And I use various 2-part clears.....DuPont, PPG, and Martin Senour Cross/FIRE, depending on what's on hand, or what I can get a good deal on.

Mike

Edited by Bluzboy66

Art, it's custom-mixed Candy Red. I used Testors clear enamel, and mixed in various dyes until I got the shade right. I mix my colors using TransTint brand dyes for transparent colors, and ColorTone pigments for custom solid colors.....

http://www.woodcraft...ranstint%20dyes

http://www.stewmac.c...or_Lacquer.html

And I use various 2-part clears.....DuPont, PPG, and Martin Senour Cross/FIRE, depending on what's on hand, or what I can get a good deal on.

Mike

Thanks for the info, Mike.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really appreciate it. I always loved the Monkees TV show when I was a kid, and I've wanted to build a model of the car for a long time now. Our model club, the Central PA Model Car Club had a 'TV and Movie Car' theme for December's meeting, and it just had to be the Monkeemobile for me!

Having finished this car, I got a cool idea for a 'New' Monkeemobile. I'll post pics as the car starts to take shape. ;)

Mike

• 3 years later...

Wow! Nice build! The color is perfect. I always thought that car was kind of weird, but the nostalgia factor is enormous! I watched that show (on a black & white TV) when I was a teenager. Great work!

Sam

BTW, why are there only six exhaust pipes? That surely wasn't a V-6!

Yeah, the bodywork was extensive. I can't imagine that ANYONE could build this kit without doing some creative bodywork to get the body panels to fit together properly. The gaps around the front and rear fascias were horrible.