Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any feedback on this paint booth

Anybody have this paint booth. It seems kind of cheap which makes me wonder if it's any good. I really need to get something. Way too cold to paint outside. Sprayed the last couple in the basement with the window open but the wife isn't really thrilled with the smell. Would love to buy a better one but just spent a ton of money on new heads for the race car so my fun budget is low right now. Thanks for any info!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230714191671&category=28111&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

It says in the description..."Not intented for use with hazardous materials, flammable or explosive paints or materials." so I would think its not such a good idea. I'm always on the lookout myself for a possible indoor paint booth. I just can't justify the cost on a proper booth for the house. Its not a item that I feel you can go cheap on for safety reasons.

I've looked at it in the past and was interested until I came to this part.

"Not intented for use with hazardous materials, flammable or explosive paints or materials."

well...than what about paasche, badger,artograph,tcp global, hobby model,ect... hobby spray booths, they all say that in the fine print, yet there's a million out there.

and "shaded pole" has nothing to do with "explosion proof" so Pace is not any safer

most bath fans and range hood fans are shaded pole, it allows the speed to be adjusted with a rheostat (knob)

and they are low cost.

you pretty much have to step up to more industrial level offerings to get a spark proof system.

they start out at $800-$1,000....those motors are expensive.

I've been reading up on this for the last couple months, because I'm building my own booth also

even the "explosion proof" motors are not exactly right,I found out that can simply mean that the motor is contained from explosions.

the pace booths are very nice , and I imagine someone could adapt a different motor if it's absolutly necessary

Edited by scalenut

well...than what about paasche, badger,artograph,tcp global, hobby model,ect... hobby spray booths, they all say that in the fine print, yet there's a million out there.

That's what I was wondering about. It seems like everyone I look at has this warning.

I bought the very same unit around 12 months ago, and I wouldn't be without it, before I had to do my spraying in the garage, and that gets pretty cold out there in the winter, and almost impossible to keep it warm with heaters, I use acrylics, enamels and automotive lacquer, and I've had no problem, I'd say go for it, I've lined mine with greaseproof paper, easy to change when it gets dirty, but keeps the plastic from getting grotty.

Taken17thOctober20113.jpg

I bought the very same unit around 12 months ago, and I wouldn't be without it, before I had to do my spraying in the garage, and that gets pretty cold out there in the winter, and almost impossible to keep it warm with heaters, I use acrylics, enamels and automotive lacquer, and I've had no problem, I'd say go for it, I've lined mine with greaseproof paper, easy to change when it gets dirty, but keeps the plastic from getting grotty.

What do you do with the -well- exhaust? Just place it out of the open window?

Oh, and where in England can one buy it?

Edited by Junkman

What do you do with the -well- exhaust? Just place it out of the open window?

Oh, and where in England can one buy it?

Yes it goes out of the window, but because the width of the adapter, you only have a gap of around 1/2 inch, do a search for Expo tools spray booth, or have a look on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPRAY-BOOTH-EXTRACTOR-FAN-AIRBRUSHING-E420-NEW-/300561475151?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item45fadc264f#ht_3302wt_1185

I wouldn't mind a Pace booth myself, but...I've emailed them a few times this past year, inquiring about shipping costs to Canada and have been ignored. I called a few times and couldn't get through for some reason. Oh well!

Same here, emails unanswered and I don't think his toll free number is set up to work from Canada.

and "shaded pole" has nothing to do with "explosion proof" so Pace is not any safer

most bath fans and range hood fans are shaded pole, it allows the speed to be adjusted with a rheostat (knob)

and they are low cost.

you pretty much have to step up to more industrial level offerings to get a spark proof system.

they start out at $800-$1,000....those motors are expensive.

I've been reading up on this for the last couple months, because I'm building my own booth also

even the "explosion proof" motors are not exactly right,I found out that can simply mean that the motor is contained from explosions.

the pace booths are very nice , and I imagine someone could adapt a different motor if it's absolutly necessary

You misunderstand shaded pole and explosion proof. Shaded pole is also known as a squirrel cage, these have the motor seperated from the airflow (round water wheel looking blower attached to a shaft that goes to the motor). It has nothing to do with a rheostat controller. Most bath fans and range hoods are not shaded poles, they are axial fans that allow the fumes to run right over the motor. If wiring of the motor becomes compromised theoretically you could get a spark and a fire. Since the motor of the squirrel cage is out of the air flow it does not get exposed to the fumes, should last longer and is less likely to create sparks that could meet up with fumes.

Explosion proof is a completely different issue, that is a certification that the motor and switches are sealed allowing use in a flammable atmosphere. Explosion proof is complete overkill for a hobby spray booth, you would find them in a full size automotive spray booth or fuel bunker. As you mention the cost puts them out of reach for most hobbiests.

A squirrel cage is the preffered style of blower but many use the more common (and cheaper) axial type, most of them never have a problem.

i recently bought an airbrush and all i have shot through it so far has been water diluted india ink. i havent progressed on to real paint because of this very issue. i am using a second bathroom as my spray booth as such and unfortunately it only has a ceiling fan which is totally inadequate for the job. i was thinking i could try to find a kitchen stove top with fan and then duct that out a window, hopefully for low bucks, or i could go the bucks and buy a booth and duct it out the window as well.

that video embedded up there pretty much convinces me i need one. i love seeing the "in use" photos of similar booths in the real setting.

so mike, i cant really make out your booth in that photo you posted. do i see it there in the middle section of that bookcase thing there? and the ducting is out the back into the tube exiting the window? do you get much overspray or does it pretty much stay there and get sucked up by the exhaust fan?

i remember there was a post here some years back either by the guy who it happened to or maybe he saw it somewhere and reposted it here, of an actual explosion caused by a fan and a solvent-rich environment. i would imagine the cure is to not let it build up by having adequate exhaust strength.

you know i went back and searched for the article i cited above about the exploding paint room and i found this. i dont think this is the same story i was thinking of but it is similar. the one i remember seemed to me to include photos of the aftermath...a scorched wall and some other rubble.

quote:

I found this on the Model Truck discussion board. We’ve all heard stories of this happening. Anthony encouraged me to forward this.

From: MTDG@yahoogroups.com [mailto:MTDG@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Anthony Oteri

Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:07 PM

To: MTDG

Subject: [MTDG] Spray booth story, sad story

I know this topic has come up in the past but it needs to be discussed again. I friend of mine built his own spray paint booth from a kitchen stove exhaust hood that he was using in his garage. Last night he was using it when it caught on fire. He has burns on his chest, arms, face and head. His wife told me he has no eyebrows, eye lashes or hair left on his head. He also wears contact lenses which melted in his eyes from the fire. He's in pretty bad shape and was transferred to a Shriners burns hospital in Boston. He was using Testors rattle can enamel on an airplane model that he was building. His wife told me she herd a boom sound then a scream. When she opened the door into the garage his shirt was on fire. Luckily there daughter's boy friend was there and he used a fire extinguisher on him to put out the fire. If anyone is using a home made spray booth don't use it anymore. The fan motor windings are exposed and will ignite paint fumes and vapors. You need to use a motor this is in a vapor proof or explosion proof case. This guy Dennis is 47 years old and is a pipe fitter by trade, ironically he installs fire sprinklers. I didn't intend to ruin anyone's dinner, but I hope it may help save yourself from getting hurt, or worse. Sorry for the gloom and doom, be careful!

Anthony

end quote

that was in february 2010. i presume these present booths dont have any issues despite those dire warnings...lawyer bait in other words.

I have the Model Expo one, and I love the quietness of it. I use this one on the model desk in the office, venting it nowhere (naughty boy).

I have the Pace one, I love it, wish I could get the bigger one.

I have my old favorite from 2000 or so, friend used to make these, Spray Vent.

That's my favorite, but the motor went out.

I have a new motor for it, shaded pole, but have to get a better one, better mount.

I don't know about that Model Expo one and their warning for flammables, I think they are just covering themselves.

If you get two of them, mount them side-by-side, and you got a great system, or, spend the money on the basic Pace one.

There are other ones I will be reviewing soon.

I did a YouTube review that you can see at YouTube.com/modelcarsmag

I don't think any of the spray booths are "rated" or intended to exhaust the fumes and fog from a spray can. They are IMHO meant to be used with an airbrush. The over spray from an airbrush (and fumes) are small compared to a spray can. I have a huge spray booth made by Northcoast hobbies and it has enough power to exhaust any spray from an airbrush,but not a spraycan.

I say buy it. It works and will get you up and painting now. Just about all of them have that warning somewhere in the paperwork. Pace booths are nice, but they aren't cheap. Seems like some of the guys here are using this booth with no problems. If you can get by with this then go for it. Ken

Question for you guys that use booths in your house's. Do you still get the smell? Looking to get a booth myself.

No, the only time I get a smell up in my hobby room is if I leave my airbrush in lacquer thinners before I clean it out, but when spraying, no, I get no smells, even when using Lacquer paints, I've used mine for the last 12 months, and have only just bought a new filter for it, which cost me £6.00, so it's a pretty cheap unit, and does the job ....I wouldn't be without it.