Model Cars Magazine Forum

Street Strip Aeroback

1fine89

This one has been sitting in the box for about eight years or so.

Its going to be my next build

Might be a curbside build depending on how much trouble the cowl hood gives me.

Plans: scratch built cowl hood, semi gloss black paint, drag radials and maybe some other goodies

tonight was just a mock up and trying to get a feel for how the hood will look.

Now I have to get to sanding and body work. Gotta find me some styrene to cut up!

monte.jpg

So thanks to SoCalMark's tutorial in the tips and tricks section, I was able to get my cowl hood done tonight!

I went out to my local hobby shop and bought some supplies, came home and got to work.

Its my fist scratch built item and I think it turned out great.

Still have to do a little final sanding and filler touch ups and add a middle trim piece that will run down the middle of the hood.

More updates soon!

monte1.jpg

monte2.jpg

monte3.jpg

I think that was a Grand National or an GNX but I'm not sure. I do love the look of that car though with the nascar wheels!

I'm going for more of a drag car look.

Thanks for the comments on the hood, not sure what motor will be going in it or wheels yet. I'm working on the body first and if it comes out exactly how I want it then I will invest some time in finding it better wheels and select a motor.

Its now in primer!

Tonight it will get a light sanding and hopefully get more paint tomorrow.

Man more bodywork then I bargained for. The fit on this body was not that great but I made it work.

Anyone know where I can find a 454? I'm sure someone makes a resin just not sure where to look? also need some centerline rims.

Anyway on with the pictures

primer2.jpg

primer.jpg

Maybe the best Chevrolet Big Block, I've seen can be found from Monogram's '70 Chevelle. It's not so superdetailed, as newer Revell's are, but it can be built really nice. And it's big, some of those engines in model kits are way too small, they look like law mover's engine when they are installed. That Monogram's engine is good, and it has blower too, which can be installed for some other car, if not on this. Same block can be found from Revell or Monogram '66 Malibu Flipnose kit, with Tunnelram intake, and there was one more kit, but I can't remember it.

Those are maybe the best StreetRace style Chevy Big Blocks, I've found, of course AMT '67 Impala for example has bit better quality one, but I can still see those Monogram engines as a better choice. And Centerlines can be found from many kits, but I've seen good ones in Revell '57 Nomad. They are really nice, chromed, but of course they can be painted too. And that Monogram '70 Chevelle, where is that good engine, has really nice Centerlines too.

Nice project you got going, that stance is just perfect, and somehow I like the look with those steelies, but maybe those tires don't fit so nicely. Those are like 50's and 60's Drag tires... But anyway, great looking build, that cowl induction scoop just fits nicely on the hood.

Wow thanks for the comments and help on where to find the parts I need!

I think I will be looking for the 66 Malibu Flipnose kit, hopefully I can find it for a bargain!

funny thing is I had one of these when I was like 12 and ruined it like kids do, lol

Well I now have paint and clear on the monte. Now its the waiting game for it to cure so I can wet sand the heck out of it and buff it to death. Now looking for a black mirror finish. Did I mention I hate painting black, so much work to make it look good. But when done right black looks amazing.

on with the eye candy!

monte4.jpg

monte2-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well I'll never paint another black model, lol.

After many hours of buffing I finally have a paint job that looks shiny with no orange peel!

Oh and I added centerlines and tinted headlight covers!

P1265222.jpg

here is the 454 mocked up. New motor mounts were put in to make it sit perfect!

P1265247.jpg

Been working on a few scratch built pieces!! more to come, soon I hope

My 1:1 87 Aero-coupe, before lowering. An arab guy in Detroit bought it, supposedly to ship to Saudi Arabia, but I still get calls from people saying they see it running around Detroit. They know it's my car because where the nose emblem is supposed to go, I made a mold from a Darth Vader slurpee lid, and made my own nose emblem. I wish I had a picture of that! august09a039.jpgaugust09a051.jpg

Underhood of the monte was pretty boring-just the stock 305 painted cast blast grey, with some headers and an air cleaner with a mustache painted on it(it's nickname was the mustache ride), however here is a pic of a 502 we shoehorned into an 89' IROC, which I tried to keep somewhat of a factory muscle car vibe with.alsdow736.jpg