Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford vs. Ferrari

Peter Lombardo

These are two newly completed cars. The Ferrari is a 599GTB Fiorano from Revell. Painted with Tamiya Gunmetal Metallic. I mixed the interior color from Tamiya flat yellow (80%)and flesh (20%). I opened the doors, hinged them and the only other modification is I lowered the wheels by about an 1/8 of an inch to make it sit a little lower, which I think looks better.

The Mustang is a Super Stallion by Revell. Aftermarket wheels and opening doors. The biggest change is in the paint job. I created 3 different computer paint masks, one for each color, silver, light blue and megenta. I covered the entire body with clear effex to give it a heavy metallic color change.

503834862_76b833ce92.jpg

503834866_784d5adb9f.jpg

503834872_a9f8ee1924.jpg

503836038_3b85c0931b.jpg

503836040_ac4d7ced93.jpg

503836046_29641f1eac.jpg

503836052_66a9b41032.jpg

503836054_4053cf9baf.jpg

503836056_9e9940d37d.jpg

503875225_264f10666c.jpg

Thanks Ismael, no not really. I kind of expected some problems but all went pretty smooth with the possible exception being the dash board. The kit uses some prongs that inter lock to hold the upper and lower sections together. In all of the dry test fittings everything fit fine. Now because I opened the doors, the dash board end pins needed to be removed. Without these pins to help secure the dash in its proper place, the dash had a huge gap when I tryed to assemble it once everything was painted. I had a few concerned moments there before I figured out that the locking pins on the dash were the problem. Once I removed them, things settled down the way there were meant to. Other then that, it worked out fine. remember, consider lowering the wheels so that it sits down a bit. I cut off the little notched pins that fit into the disc brakes with a razor saw. drilled a small hole in the middle of the pin. Then drilled a small hole 1/8 of an inch above the original position. Super glued a piece of wire into the hole and glued the pin onto it. Just as strong as the original piece, but now lower. Just remember to align the notch on the pin in the correct direction so that the disc brake will be in the correct position.

• 3 months later...