Model Cars Magazine Forum

STYRENE WITHDRAWAL SYNDROME (S.W.S)

Of of the thing you realize about being away from the people who make building models cars their business is that suddenly you realize how most of us build alone. In the silence. Nobody around to share the work with. I don't know about most of you, but I find that the need to share is greater sometimes than the need to do other things . . . I know it sounds strange, but it's the case with me, as I am sure it's the case with many of you.

So, the question is, how do you deal with time away from the bench (or from sharing your work with others)? How do the withdrawals affect you, if at all?

EYEGORE wants to know, Doctor Cranky wants to know!

It goes to show you how utterly connected we are to each other's work, etc . . . can you imagine if we returned to another time when the only way we could enjoy each other's work was by simply going to a model car show?

The addiction is really in the sharing, instant and perfect! I tell you, there's nothing like this kind of exchange to stay energized.

Yea its tough. In my youth, I switched from static models to slot cars. I had a great lot of success there, with of course immediate gratification every time I won. I got motors for free from Ron Mura which furthered the self esteem. I started a 1:1 car club ( Nor-Cal Street Machines ) after slot racing, and the 1:1 stuff fulfilled my alone time for a number of years. Now that I am older and have had the marriages and children, I cherish my alone time. I have accepted that my friends/family do not "get it" and thats OK. I hooked up with my model buddy from the 60's recently, and even he doesnt get it. Thats why I love MCM forums, I have made friends that above all, share my love of model cars and these are the guys I can relate to!

Hey Cranky,

There have been many many nights when I felt that getting on the forums was just as important, if not more important, than getting to the workbench. I started building about 6-7 years old, in an unfinished addition my parents were adding to the house, the bathroom was the last thing done, and it was my model cave for a couple of years, no one around, just me concentrating and building. It was really cool, then....got away for too many years, then discovered this place right about the time I started back building. Today when I went to log in and the site was down, total forum withdrawal, (T.F.W.) glad it is back up. Since I spend a lot of time working at home, I can get away with logging on once or twice a day, makes me a better builder and makes my enjoyment of this great hobby even better. I turn into a kid again, takes me to a good place in my mind, and if I build a work of art, or a glue bomb, I am fine with either. It's just the mindset for me, and I like it daily!! Styrene rules!!

Mike

P.S. I might be the only member of this forum that has never been to a model show, a few 1:1 shows and I do security at the drag strip sometimes, but never a model show. It is sitting right at the top of the list in the bucket!!

Oh, Mike, you gotta make at least one show in 2012. You'll have a blast. Of course, the mothership of all shows is the NNL EAST where I went one year and my head nearly exploded from styrene overdose.

I try to make at least one show every year. It's really something wonderful, delightful, and extremely fun. Not to mention you return to the bench totally inspired and rip-roaring to build your heart out!

P.S. I might be the only member of this forum that has never been to a model show, a few 1:1 shows and I do security at the drag strip sometimes, but never a model show. It is sitting right at the top of the list in the bucket!!

Me either bud...not the cool thing to do in these parts I guess, hard to find them

Edited by moparmagiclives

Your not the only one Mike, I've never been to a model show, we don't have 1:1 shows like you Colonial have so I've missed out on that too... :wacko:

Make that one of the only. I've never had the pleasure of a model show either. One day, though!

I've never been to one, but I've been to a few 1:1 shows and the dragstrip.

Doc once again u are right NNL east is the bomb...one of the few things i really miss since i moved to sunny FLA...i build because i enjoy it... but i also want others to see my work...i go to shows to share my builds and meet with others plast-a-holic's...same goes for here on the form...we finally have a model car club here in ocala called FAST...all are welcome...life is good...build something... B)