Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cheap ways to save on paint/polshing

Hey Guys. Incase yer out of tamiya paint and can't find it, or want to try something thats just as good or better and cheaper. LOOK HERE!

This is the folowing paints I use

Sears "quick 'n easy" primer (costs $1.69 at Sears Hardware or K-Mart) is awsome stuff. It is the best primer I have EVER used!!! Sprays on even and somewhat thick, but drys smooth and dosen't craze the plastic!

For the base colors, I use the 99. Wal-Mart/Color Place paints and the Krylon spray paints sold there too for the desired color. Sometimes I use Valspar and/or Rustoluem paints.

For sliver painted parts and sometimes bodycolors, I use Dutch Boy ($2.79 at Sears Hardware) and Rustoluem sprays.

For the metalic/specal colors, I use hobby paints such as Tamiya, Testors one coat Lacquer (which can range from $4.99-$6.99), Rustolouem, and/or automotive paints (which are around the same price range or less).

Instead of using testors or tamiya base primers/base color paints, which are extremely pricey for a base primer/paint (Yeah, saw that topic. Made me feel like not the only one going with cheaper alternitives). I use the big cheap sprays (from wal-mart, Sears, and/or anybody that has those type of paints cheap) for the base primer/color coat, then (if I want) the hobby paints for the metalic/specal colors.

For polishing, I use good ol solid white toothpaste (don't get the transparent sparkle stuff) and a rag to polish the painted body/part to be futured.

For a clear coat, I use Future Floor Wax (also know as Pledge Floor Wax with Future Shine). Real easy to apply with foam brushes or q-tips and if you mess up, I heard you can strip it with windex.

For applying brush painted parts, sometimes q-tips work or buying a cheap brush set from michaels, trimming them and being done with them or clean them.

While the Testors sprays are no good (cept the Lacquers) and being Tamiya bottle paints run from $5.50+, the Testors small bottles (and the model masters) are still good for what they are if you can get them for 50%off.

Incase your paintjob goes in the other direction, you can use Purple Power as it's the safest of the bunch and very effective on most paints (wear gloves anda mask though).

Hope this helps.

Be well all

V,

Thanks for the tips guys, I love this kind of information and most of it I already do. Haven't tried the cheap primer yet, I'll have to pick up a can. I still use Dupli-Color when it's on sale but, $1.69 SOUNDS GOOD. Last time I picked up a can of Tamiya at Hobby Town it was over $7.00 ( no price tag), The guy at the counter said, "If you have to ask, " bla bla bla. Wally World is starting to look better. I use Colgate toothpaste with good results for polish. Has anyone tried spraying Future with the airbrush?

Last time I picked up a can of Tamiya at Hobby Town it was over $7.00 ( no price tag), The guy at the counter said, "If you have to ask, " bla bla bla.

My LHS is around $6.50 for the colors and $8.00 for the primer. Some other LHS's around me charge between $9-17 for the colors and primers! Due to the issues getting them, and their distrubitors raiseing the prices because import fees went up and such BS.

I get Tamiyas colors ocasionaly, but I have tried their primer once and it's pretty good. But not that great for $9.75, and then the amount you get?! I get identical results from the Sears Primer and could obtain 10 cans of it for about $15, and have them last a couple months.

Even though I would like to save some bucks, I do have learned not to be cheap when it comes to paint.

IMHO the prices of the expensive kinds are worth it, it sprays better, smoother, thinner. It glosses better, is harder and longer lasting result.

What I use?

Alclad Primer or ASA acryllic primer

Zero Paints or Auto-Air Acryllics

Zero 2K gloss clear coat.

Even though the paints are expensive, they have the tendency to last longer, I guess I spend in totall around 10 dollars per car.

After reading the post about using Testor's enamels in a airbrush, I think I found my balance between quality and cheap.

The gist is to mix it 2:1 with cheap lacquer thinner and spray it at 30-35 psi right on the styrene. I can paint a car body for under $3 and have it set up like glass with little to no sanding.

The only pricey piece is an airbrush setup.

Even though I would like to save some bucks, I do have learned not to be cheap when it comes to paint.

IMHO the prices of the expensive kinds are worth it, it sprays better, smoother, thinner. It glosses better, is harder and longer lasting result.

What I use?

Alclad Primer or ASA acryllic primer

Zero Paints or Auto-Air Acryllics

Zero 2K gloss clear coat.

Even though the paints are expensive, they have the tendency to last longer, I guess I spend in totall around 10 dollars per car.

I'm curious about your luck with auto air....between pressure and the slow flash time ..(hair dryer included) whats your trick??

No trick really, I use around 25psi and have no problems with tipdry. I do thin them a tiny bit more with Vallejo acryllic thinner, but other than that, straight out of the jar.

Usually, I let the model sit for a few minutes while I am cleaning my airbrush and the model is by then dry to dust. It's enough hardened after a half an hour or so to handle it, but since it is acryllic, be carefull with liquids. When decalling, i shoot always a clearcoat first.

cool tips! I've heard of 2k clear but was kinda thrown by the shipping costs. Now that I know it's enough for 10 cars or so, it doesn't seem that bad. I've just gotten confident with laying base & colors, now I'm in search of a clearing method. I like the idea of polyurethanes. Are there any others worth trying & available stateside?

Sears "quick 'n easy" primer (costs $1.69 at Sears Hardware or K-Mart) is awsome stuff. It is the best primer I have EVER used!!! Sprays on even and somewhat thick, but drys smooth and dosen't craze the plastic!

Is it lacquer or enamel? Easy to apply and not crazing the plastic is one thing, but I'd worry about comaptibility with whatever top coats are going over it.

Lately, I've been buying Krylon or ColorPlace flat black instead of Testors; I use a lot of it, and those little cans can get spendy in comparison.

Is it lacquer or enamel? Easy to apply and not crazing the plastic is one thing, but I'd worry about comaptibility with whatever top coats are going over it.

As i'm looking at a can I got in my hand now, it says it's enamel. This may seem strange, but i've applied Krylon (which is acrylic) and Lacquers (such as Testors) over the colorplace paint ontop of the applied coat of sears primer. and had absolutly no major crazing or comaptibility issues whatsoever!

But when it's krylon or testors primer on the body, then the color coat in it's brand or a different name, regardless of paint type.... all everlasting hell will come loose and ruin everything!

The primer might work, but will most likely craze the plastic and make it alomst impossible to remove.

If the fusion paint was applied on the primer coat, you could still save it but it's gonna take some time for the stripper fliud your using t kick in. If it's applied DIRECTLY to the bpdy without a primer, yer screwed!